Sponsored by:

In praise of Jerry Seinfeld

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004 | 09:06 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default In praise of Jerry Seinfeld

I attended the Rennfest Reunion this weekend and thought I would pass along a personel observation. Jerry Seinfeld brought a few of his great collection to be viewed at the Reunion. One of the best cars there was his 917 Solar Productions displayed as the #20 car from the movie Lemans. Great to see this car, but then Jerry shows up to drive it on Daytona track for exhibstion display. I was in his pit garage when he satrted it up and got to not only hear this great car in a garage, wow, but just as good was to see sh*t eating grin on Jerry's face when engine came to life, he obviously enjoyed it as much as we did, a true sign of an enthusist. He drives the 917 on its few parade laps and then parks it for the pit lane concourse. Now I guess a person of his noteriety could have just skipped out through a rear door or had his "people" ready with alimo to wisk him away before we "commoners" could bother him but no, he starts walking around looking at all the great Porsches like the rest of us car people. I think I could hear Steve McQueen laughing with joy in the realisation that a true enthusist has that special 917. So hears to you Jerry on your birthday, saw that notice on news this morning, hope you enjoy your 50th as much as we all enjoyed the cars you brought out to Daytona. Maybe some day he will bring a car out to Sebring for real retro event back to the 70s.
Rich
1995 968 Club Sport
Old 04-26-2004 | 10:18 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

He even signed autographs for awhile before he went cruising.

I had forgotten he was going to be there and wondered what the commotion was when I walked up to the cars. Took a few seconds before I realized it was him.

Took a quick pic from about 10' away.
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2004 | 12:05 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

When we ran into him in the pits, he took the time to shake my 5 month old son's hand. My camera's battery was dead at this point, but my mother-in-law got the picture.

Nice to see a famous entertainer who is really a normal guy like the rest of us.

The Rennsport Reunion II was unbelievable. I can't even describe the rush I got racing at Daytona.
Old 04-29-2004 | 03:24 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Is he a quick driver?
Old 04-29-2004 | 03:28 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Mitch:
I don't think he raced. I heard he did drive his 917K in the group where the famous racecars did some parade laps behind a Carrera GT serving as a pace car.
Old 04-29-2004 | 06:39 PM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

It is nice to see his cars out there but it would be better if he drove them like they were built to be driven. I thought it was kinda funny how he had on a race suit, shoes, helmet, etc. to drive around the track at 50mph.

On a side note, I don't see how Seinfeld deserves anymore credit than the rest of the guys out there who brought their historic cars. He's the same as us, he just has more money(a lot more), and had a tv show.

Last edited by Stuttgart; 04-29-2004 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-29-2004 | 11:44 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, we were talking about how it's great that he gets to indulge his passion. I can guarantee you that even if he wasn't a famous comedian, he would have still been there walking around with all the rest of us. He was a Porsche fan before he was loaded.
Old 04-30-2004 | 01:25 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Jay- i haven't forgotten about getting you the ride height info... I just kepe forgetting to measure when i'm home! I apologize.
Old 04-30-2004 | 01:54 AM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Mitch,
No sweat. Whenever you get a chance. I'm going to make some spring/height/alignment changes sometime in the next month or so before the parade CR.
Old 05-01-2004 | 02:56 AM
Chris Campbell
Instructor

LOL, I'm glad he finally found time to drive it...he has owned that 917 for over 2 yrs IIRC. Most of his cars sit locked away in dark storage units/garages which I personally feel is kind of a pity as he owns some amazing specimens.
Old 05-02-2004 | 11:36 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

FWIW- I happened to be standing nearby he went down pit lane during Saturday's concours (driving suit and all). He was was walking along, signing autographs, when he got to #1 - somebody opens the door, he climbs in, throws he arms in the air and exclaims; "It doesn't get any better than this!" (I've got the photo, just can't attach it here).

Quick Reply: In praise of Jerry Seinfeld