F1 cancels 2022 Russian Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 12:27 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,392 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw 06
This thread contains a lot more emotional thinking than critical thinking.

I’m a U.S. Army combat veteran who proudly (and voluntarily) served my country for many years. All Soldiers fight where we’re told, that’s our lot in life. However, that doesn’t mean we’re all a bunch of mindless drones who can’t recognize hypocrisy when we see it.

As the old saying goes, “people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.” Before condemning Russia’s actions in Ukraine, let’s review some examples of questionable U.S. aggression abroad over the past two decades. Bush’s 2003 invasion of Iraq was unjust, because the premises for war (Iraq possessing WMDs and having ties to Al Qaeda and 9/11) were false. We caused a substantial amount of unnecessary U.S. and Iraqi deaths, destruction and human suffering over this “mistake”. Obama’s violent 2011 overthrow of Libya’s government, his attempted 2012 violent overthrow of Syria’s government, and his routine extrajudicial drone killings, were hardly in keeping with the spirit of his Nobel Peace Prize. Biden’s more recent 2021 missile strike on an innocent family of 10 (3 adults and 7 children) in Afghanistan wasn’t our finest moment either. These are merely a few better-known examples of our government’s misdeeds abroad over the past two decades, but the list goes on and on and on… Yet, despite the U.S. government’s almost continuous series of undeclared wars, overt or covert regime changes, targeted killings, and other military and/or CIA interventions overseas, I don’t recall the U.S. Grand Prix ever being cancelled by the FIA, or any U.S. drivers or athletes being banned from international competitions.

In other words, U.S. athletes haven’t been held accountable for the misdeeds of their government, so why should Russian athletes be held accountable for the misdeeds of theirs? Please think about this question critically, and offer some logical reasons why this clear international double standard is justified in your minds (and please come up with an argument better than: “The U.S. means well when we invade other countries, overthrow their governments and kill innocent people under false pretenses, because we’re the good guys and they hate us for our freedoms!”).

I look forward to reading some well-reasoned responses.

P.S.: My reference for the definitions of just and unjust wars are found in “Summa Theologica” by Thomas Aquinas. Of course, countries that wage wars always find ways to justify them.

P.P.S.: Many adult children of U.S. politicians seem to meet the definition of “oligarchs” too (or “princelings” as the Chinese call them). Somehow, the sons and daughters of our politicians routinely get selected for highly-sought-after, well-compensated positions on corporate boards all around the world, and/or awarded lucrative international business deals, consulting deals, art deals, book deals, real estate deals, stock deals, financial deals, etc., etc., etc. These political families amass great wealth through influence peddling and sweetheart deals, but just because they’re not called “oligarchs” here, doesn’t make them less than so. There’s no denying this blatant hypocrisy either.
This may be the first time in RL history someone quote Thomas Acquinas to make their point.

To further Outlaw's excellent points, it is interesting to read history books from the "other point of view" to see how countries justify their actions. I have read many books written by German and Japanese soldiers regarding WW2. Japan still blames the US embargo for dragging them into the war. They were forced to bomb Pearl Harbor and the US is 100% to blame according to them. There were also "good and honorable" German soldiers.

The following users liked this post:
Outlaw 06 (03-05-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 01:06 PM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 198 Likes on 105 Posts

we were net exporters of oil in 2020 and we were next exporters of oil in 2021 as well
2020 was the first year were next exporters of oil and that continued in 2021
“Energy independent” means nothing, we export oil and we import oil. We are very much connected to the world energy market. The net balance while important doesn’t make us energy independent.
US oil import from Russia is not the major contributor to Russian oil revenues. Our oil imports are only about 3-4% of Russian oil production.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Valid point. However, as long as the giant elephant in the room is ignored in favor of these little indirect symbolic gestures, nothing will change. What is that elephant? The tens of billions of dollars of Russian oil we purchase and import into the US every year. Up until about a year ago, we were totally energy independent. That has changed. As a result, we now are financing this war every time we fill up. The same with Europe. Until we use that obvious weapon against Vlad the KGB Thug, none of the rest of this crap will have ANY effect. Hence my comment that it is mostly virtue signaling to make people feel better about themselves IMO
Old 03-04-2022, 01:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Nonsense. 500,000 barrels a day x $115 per barrel x 365 days a year = $21 BILLION per year that the US alone is unnecessarily giving to Vlad to finance this war. That's a lot of rubles.
Old 03-04-2022, 06:53 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw 06
This thread contains a lot more emotional thinking than critical thinking.

I’m a U.S. Army combat veteran who proudly (and voluntarily) served my country for many years. All Soldiers fight where we’re told, that’s our lot in life. However, that doesn’t mean we’re all a bunch of mindless drones who can’t recognize hypocrisy when we see it.

As the old saying goes, “people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.” Before condemning Russia’s actions in Ukraine, let’s review some examples of questionable U.S. aggression abroad over the past two decades. Bush’s 2003 invasion of Iraq was unjust, because the premises for war (Iraq possessing WMDs and having ties to Al Qaeda and 9/11) were false. We caused a substantial amount of unnecessary U.S. and Iraqi deaths, destruction and human suffering over this “mistake”. Obama’s violent 2011 overthrow of Libya’s government, his attempted 2012 violent overthrow of Syria’s government, and his routine extrajudicial drone killings, were hardly in keeping with the spirit of his Nobel Peace Prize. Biden’s more recent 2021 missile strike on an innocent family of 10 (3 adults and 7 children) in Afghanistan wasn’t our finest moment either. These are merely a few better-known examples of our government’s misdeeds abroad over the past two decades, but the list goes on and on and on… Yet, despite the U.S. government’s almost continuous series of undeclared wars, overt or covert regime changes, targeted killings, and other military and/or CIA interventions overseas, I don’t recall the U.S. Grand Prix ever being cancelled by the FIA, or any U.S. drivers or athletes being banned from international competitions.

In other words, U.S. athletes haven’t been held accountable for the misdeeds of their government, so why should Russian athletes be held accountable for the misdeeds of theirs? Please think about this question critically, and offer some logical reasons why this clear international double standard is justified in your minds (and please come up with an argument better than: “The U.S. means well when we invade other countries, overthrow their governments and kill innocent people under false pretenses, because we’re the good guys and they hate us for our freedoms!”).

I look forward to reading some well-reasoned responses.

P.S.: My reference for the definitions of just and unjust wars are found in “Summa Theologica” by Thomas Aquinas. Of course, countries that wage wars always find ways to justify them.

P.P.S.: Many adult children of U.S. politicians seem to meet the definition of “oligarchs” too (or “princelings” as the Chinese call them). Somehow, the sons and daughters of our politicians routinely get selected for highly-sought-after, well-compensated positions on corporate boards all around the world, and/or awarded lucrative international business deals, consulting deals, art deals, book deals, real estate deals, stock deals, financial deals, etc., etc., etc. These political families amass great wealth through influence peddling and sweetheart deals, but just because they’re not called “oligarchs” here, doesn’t make them less than so. There’s no denying this blatant hypocrisy either.
There is invasion and then there is genocide. When did US leaders officially commit to destroying an entire nation? Putin committed to it in his speech when it all started, and then Russian government prematurely congratulated themselves on "solving the Ukrainian question" in a likely pre-scheduled press release on the government news site (now removed but still available in the archives). I do not know if US has shelled massive numbers of civilians on purpose as a scare tactic (and if they did, it's just as horrible), but that's exactly what is happening in Ukraine right now - apartment buildings and suburbia neighbourhoods are shelled indiscriminately, even in cities that the Ukrainian army already withdrew from. And it's not a "family of ten" - it's in thousands to 10s of thousands of civilians murdered in just days, in a country that had no conflict otherwise. I know it not from the press or social media - my family, friends and employees are there right now, fighting or just trying to stay alive.

Another difference is that in Russia all oligarchs are not just rich people but people who serve Putin. You cannot be rich in Russia without being Putin's servant. I know this for a fact because otherwise, I'd be one of them. I gave up all my investments in Russia (as in gave away with no compensation) in 2013 - 2014 when it became clear what the price of doing business in Russia was. It requires swearing to absolute loyalty to the leader. In the US, you can be rich and dislike Obama, Bush, Trump or Biden (also note different names of presidents - that does not happen in Russia). In Russia, you cannot (Google Khodorkovsky). In the US they do not take everything you own and/or send you to jail because you refuse to kiss the ring - in Russia, they do. So the current Oligarchs are not simply rich people but Putin's carefully selected and utterly loyal mafia.

Finally, I do not understand your point. Are you suggesting that because the US is not perfect, Russia should have a license to murder my family, my friends, my employees? Are you trying to suggest genocide is normal and it's unfair to inconvenience someone to stop it? Maybe it was not your point but it does come across like that. Also, if US committed similar atrocities, why didn't you stop it? If you are an American, that's on you, not on Ukrainians.

Last edited by MaxLTV; 03-04-2022 at 06:58 PM.
Manifold (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 09:25 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,474 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Speeds5
we were net exporters of oil in 2020 and we were next exporters of oil in 2021 as well
2020 was the first year were next exporters of oil and that continued in 2021
“Energy independent” means nothing, we export oil and we import oil. We are very much connected to the world energy market. The net balance while important doesn’t make us energy independent.
US oil import from Russia is not the major contributor to Russian oil revenues. Our oil imports are only about 3-4% of Russian oil production.
The US has been exporting oil in the past couple years but it's not because we have used all we produce and sell the excess so the "net exporter" you mention is not accurate. In 2019 the US had appx. 1900 drills in the ground and water. Today we' at appx. 500 most is due to restrictions imposed by the current administration on shale and other types of oil production. Your statement on the percentage we import from Russia is true however. It amounts to approximately $22m per day to Russia.

In the latter part of 2021, Biden asked both Saudi Arabia and Russia to pump more oil to relieve pressure on the oil markets. Both refused. It baffles me to the core to think that some in this country believe that burning some other countries oil will somehow make the US more "green".
Old 03-04-2022, 09:37 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,208 Posts

So…….how bout that early March Alton Virginia weather?……
mhm993 (03-05-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 10:04 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Nonsense. 500,000 barrels a day x $115 per barrel x 365 days a year = $21 BILLION per year that the US alone is unnecessarily giving to Vlad to finance this war. That's a lot of rubles.
Correction:

650,000 barrels per day from Russia.

So OVER $27 BILLION ANNUALLY from us to Vlad.
Old 03-04-2022, 11:56 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
So…….how bout that early March Alton Virginia weather?……
Hell of a lot better than late June.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:03 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Hell of a lot better than late June.
4 straight days of sunny and mid 70’s-80.

2 down, 2 to go. Bring it!!!
Old 03-05-2022, 08:47 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Awesome!
Old 03-05-2022, 08:51 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,496 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Correction:

650,000 barrels per day from Russia.

So OVER $27 BILLION ANNUALLY from us to Vlad.
Russian GDP is about $1,600 billion annually, or at least it was before Putin's Ukrainian misadventure. $27 billion is less than 2% of the GDP.
Old 03-05-2022, 09:16 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

So????? You are excusing the inexcusable. We didn't need his oil up until about a year ago. Let's get back to the way we were, and we can tell him to pound sand
The following 2 users liked this post by Veloce Raptor:
MaxLTV (03-06-2022), okie981 (03-07-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 09:24 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,496 Likes on 2,558 Posts

So????? You are excusing the inexcusable. We didn't need his oil up until about a year ago. Let's get back to the way we were, and we can tell him to pound sand
I agree that we shouldn't buy Russian oil. Just saying that the US alone not buying their oil won't impact them much ... though it would impact them more than banning Russians from F1, which is of course what this thread is about.
Old 03-05-2022, 09:35 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

https://www.planetf1.com/news/nikita...ure-confirmed/
The following 5 users liked this post by FredC:
LuigiVampa (03-05-2022), Manifold (03-05-2022), mhm993 (03-05-2022), ProCoach (03-05-2022), thebishman (03-05-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 12:34 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,392 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Good riddance to the Russian flag on an American team and good riddance to Mazepin who was an embarrassment to the sport.
The following 3 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
ldamelio (03-06-2022), MaxLTV (03-06-2022), thebishman (03-05-2022)

Quick Reply: F1 cancels 2022 Russian Grand Prix