Sponsored by:

F1 cancels 2022 Russian Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2022 | 12:10 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GPA951s
Crap, so what is the socially acceptable term that means the opposite of “Advance timing” in an engine?
"mentally incapacitated timing"

Back on topic it looks like the IOC is trying to ban all Russian athletes and the FIA is considering what it is going to do.

Danil Kvyat was supposed to start driving in WEC and could be banned. In truth, its a stretch to say that anyone in a country with a democratically elected government should be held responsible for the actions of their government. Its an even further stretch to think that anyone from a totalitarian ruled country should be held responsible for that country's actions.
The following 2 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
993944S2 (03-02-2022), Outlaw 06 (03-02-2022)
Old 03-02-2022 | 01:54 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
"mentally incapacitated timing"

Back on topic it looks like the IOC is trying to ban all Russian athletes and the FIA is considering what it is going to do.

Danil Kvyat was supposed to start driving in WEC and could be banned. In truth, its a stretch to say that anyone in a country with a democratically elected government should be held responsible for the actions of their government. Its an even further stretch to think that anyone from a totalitarian ruled country should be held responsible for that country's actions.
I think it's understood that the purpose is apply pressure to the government, rather than to hold individual citizens responsible.
The following users liked this post:
ldamelio (03-02-2022)
Old 03-02-2022 | 02:15 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Read that Kvyat's father is "financial director of a Russian energy" company. Curiously, when you look at wikipedia, it's been scrubbed clean of any mention that Daniil was born to any parents or has any family members. Does that sound oligarch-ish, perhaps?

Did read the British won't allow Mazepin to compete.

Last edited by mhm993; 03-02-2022 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-02-2022 | 03:45 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Its an even further stretch to think that anyone from a totalitarian ruled country should be held responsible for that country's actions.
Agree 100%. I think the issue with Mazepin and Kvyat is they are the spawn of privileged oligarchs.
Old 03-02-2022 | 03:57 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
Agree 100%. I think the issue with Mazepin and Kvyat is they are the spawn of privileged oligarchs.
I say ban all Russians from all sports. Let Russia feel pain, as much as possible, whatever we can do short of triggering WW3.
The following users liked this post:
steveP911 (03-04-2022)
Old 03-02-2022 | 04:21 PM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Russia?

Who up and decided that retard was a bad word? I don't ever remember being consulted as it was a medical term in common usage until the late 70s early 80s. Then one day it becomes the "R word".

If you want to know what's retarded its what happened to the word retard.
As Adam Carolla says "it's all about controlling the language". That way, they can constantly correct you and feel superior! If you go along with them.
Old 03-02-2022 | 04:42 PM
Outlaw 06
Instructor

Hmmm. I must have missed U.S. drivers and athletes being banned from international competition during the unjust wars started by the United States (invading Iraq on the false pretense of WMDs is just one recent example).
Old 03-02-2022 | 05:27 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
I think it's understood that the purpose is apply pressure to the government, rather than to hold individual citizens responsible.
I'm not sure how Mazepin and Kyviit not being allowed to race puts pressure on Putin. Their sponsorship money is certainly fair game but what if they were not paid drivers? This is starting to feel very uncomfortable on how citizens who have no influence on what their president does are affected.

Should we also put restrictions on Chinese athletes because of their countries horrible human rights abuses? How about the fact that China asked Russia to not invade Ukraine until the end of the Olympics because of the appearances of it all? Crazy times we live in for sure!
Old 03-02-2022 | 05:47 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by multi21
Should we also put restrictions on Chinese athletes because of their countries horrible human rights abuses?
Yes. Next question, please.
Old 03-02-2022 | 05:54 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

So then the new pay Chinese driver for Alfa Romeo is out. Who is next?
Old 03-02-2022 | 06:01 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure how Mazepin and Kyviit not being allowed to race puts pressure on Putin. Their sponsorship money is certainly fair game but what if they were not paid drivers? This is starting to feel very uncomfortable on how citizens who have no influence on what their president does are affected.

Should we also put restrictions on Chinese athletes because of their countries horrible human rights abuses? How about the fact that China asked Russia to not invade Ukraine until the end of the Olympics because of the appearances of it all? Crazy times we live in for sure!
The idea is to get the population doubting the judgment of their leader. When Russian athletes are banned, word will get around in Russia.
Old 03-02-2022 | 06:02 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

This conversation is getting political and is scaring me as much as a car over 500 HP or someone using the R word. Make it stop.
Old 03-02-2022 | 06:03 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Outlaw 06
Hmmm. I must have missed U.S. drivers and athletes being banned from international competition during the unjust wars started by the United States (invading Iraq on the false pretense of WMDs is just one recent example).
You have a point, but two wrongs don't make a right. And at least the US is more stable than Russia under Putin, less of a danger to the world.
Old 03-02-2022 | 06:06 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
The idea is to get the population doubting the judgment of their leader. When Russian athletes are banned, word will get around in Russia.
Shirley you can’t be serious …. An athlete not competing in a “sport” will get word around Russia and then the population will begin to doubt their leader. I typed this as slowly as I could because I couldn’t believe I actually had to type this.
Old 03-02-2022 | 06:36 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Shirley you can’t be serious …. An athlete not competing in a “sport” will get word around Russia and then the population will begin to doubt their leader. I typed this as slowly as I could because I couldn’t believe I actually had to type this.
You apply whatever you pressure you can, and don't complicate things by trying to carve out exceptions. Don't forget that Russia (used to) host F1 races, and I believe Putin himself attended at least one of them, so blocking out Russias F1 drivers doesn't necessarily have a negligible effect, especially if they're sons of oligarchs.

Quick Reply: F1 cancels 2022 Russian Grand Prix