1st DE. Some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 11:12 AM
mamoroso
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st DE. Some questions.

Hi everybody

I am going to do my 1st DE at the end of April. It will be at the Carolina Motorsports Park.
I have asked for some advice on the 911 board and this is a brief summary of what everybody said (in random order):

- bring fluids and snacks for the driver for the day
- spare oil
- full tank
- spare brake fluid
- spare brake pads
- folding chair
- don't lift
- be humble

I have a little track experience (Elises, Catherams) but never with a 911.

Also I need to have numbers... can I just use colored tape and make my own ones?

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:18 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

My #1 thing on my checklist: BRING THE TECH FORM. Everything else (including the close #2 - helmet) can be borrowed at the track.

It sounds like the people on the 911 board gave you great advice.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:40 AM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Matteo,

Yes, youhave been given some good advice thus far. Then again, we can't expect any less from this bunch

As for your numbers, using colored masking tape will be fine on the track. You might also want to do the following as well:

1. Study the track map as much as possible before getting on the track. This is kind of like an exam in school. You can never be too prepared.

2. Check tire pressures so that they do not get out of whack! Ask fellow 911 drivers for there opinions here.

3. Get a ride with your instructor at least once so that you can see what smooth = fast means. Don't be afraid to ask other instructors for rides as well.

4. There are NO dumb questions. The drivers that ask the most questions usually learn the quickest.

5. HAVE FUN - there is no need to treat this like the 12 hours at Sebring. You are learning how to drive your car better and that is SOOOOOO much fun in our cars!!

Hope this helps!
Old 04-21-2004, 11:48 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

They have fuel at the track but do not accept credit cards. Gas station outside the track gate opens early as well.

Watch that tire pressure and listen to your instructor!

Great track you will have a ball I am sure.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:11 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Torque wrench, jack and stands, sun blocker and beware of the "Red Mist"!
Numbers many times are supplied by the region check with the event coordinator.
Have a RIOT! Dal
Old 04-21-2004, 12:24 PM
a4944
Racer

I bought magnetic vent covers from Lowes. They are rectangular and are about 8 inch by 16 inch (estimating here). These cover the inside air conditioning vents to fully seal them to save energy. You can cut out numbers if you already know what your number is. I used word processor to print out the large numbers and used it as a template for cutting. Works great.

As far as on track.

* Vision is important. It's easy to get focused on the cones or a car in front of you. I find it helpful to call out what I'm looking at. Once I know I can make an apex of a turn, I call out that I'm looking for the trackout, even before I get to the apex. It helps remind me to keep looking ahead.

* Point out the corner stations to your instructor. They will appreciate that you are aware of them and will be more comfortable signing you off to go solo.

* Drive a bit more conervative with your instructor. They will sign you off quicker. They want to see you consistently hit your line. You are also responsible for their safety.

* Check oil, fluids, and brake pads after every run. I have a 944 Turbo and it does use some oil. I need to top it off between runs.

* Prearrange meeting points with your instructor. You want to maximize your track time.

* Watch for red mist. Funny how often cars drive straight off at a straight after overtaking (myself included). You caught them, drive the same way after passing. I sometimes feel pressure to quickly extend. Same goes for getting passed, let them by and try to learn from their line.

* Take some time to think between runs or overnight. I usually came back much better on the second day when I had time to think about my mistakes. No reason you couldn't do this during the day.

* Have fun. Every driver is different. Respect everyone. People have different goals. It's all about having fun.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 04-21-2004, 12:36 PM
mamoroso
Racer

Brian what is this?
"My #1 thing on my checklist: BRING THE TECH FORM"

I am having my car checked ( i bought it 1m ago so...) by Jim at Eurowerks (recommended by PCA) for any possible mechanical fault on the car... Is there something else I should do beside bringing some spares?

Thanks again....

PS
I am so excited... I am planning to do these DEs every 2 months, until I get the solo driver qualification. If money and time permit my goal is Club racing... we'll see

Anyway thanks again to everybody for your help!
Old 04-21-2004, 01:04 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 358 Likes on 211 Posts

Don't dare mention your goal of club racing to anyone at your first DE!!

Even if it is your goal hearing that is a real turn-off to many instructors (some of whom have been DE'ng for decades and never club-raced and don't want to or don't have the time or money to). That will mark you as overly aggressive and wet behind the ears.

Besides you may have so much fun at DE's you'll decide you never want to anyway. Or you may have so little fun that other sports will beckon.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:17 PM
87turbo911
Rennlist Member

The Tech Form- some groups require you to have a technical inspection form filled out prior to the event and to present it when you register.

Depending on the group, it must be a shop that they approve. Some allow you to do it yourself. Some allow instructors or advanced level drivers to inspect their own vehicles. Some don't have a tech inspection because they assume that you signing up and paying for the DE is an indication that you're responsible enough to get your car checked out and make sure it's in working order.

As long as you're bringing a jack stand and will be checking tire pressures, don't forget to bring a portable air compressor for adjustment purposes.

Finally, yeah, if you want to get signed off and you're new to that group and/or instructor, you don't want to mention that your goal is to club race. And don't try to drive like you're club racing. Follow instructions. Learn the track. With the help of the instructor, you'll figure out the track, your car, both of their nuances, and what your own pace is going to be. Go too wild right away and the instructor might bail on you!

-Adrian
Old 04-21-2004, 01:46 PM
mamoroso
Racer

Sorry for the racing comments... I am going there to learn. Not trying to set the fastest lap or overtaking as many cars as possible.
Trust me I know nothing about how to drive a 911 on the track. I will be like a sponge trying to pick everybody's brain (heck everybody there will have more experience than me).
Again forgive me for the racing comment wasn't trying to be a smart ***.... Will never mention club racing again... at least for the next 6-7 DE sessions...

Where do I leave all this gear that I am taking with me (so far I have a jack, stand, air compressor, wrench, varoius sockets, spare oil, spare brake fluid, spare brake pads, folding chair, snacks and fluids) whilst I am out in the car?
Old 04-21-2004, 02:08 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by mamoroso
Where do I leave all this gear that I am taking with me (so far I have a jack, stand, air compressor, wrench, varoius sockets, spare oil, spare brake fluid, spare brake pads, folding chair, snacks and fluids) whilst I am out in the car?
Check the weather report. If it will be good weather, you can just leave it next to where you parked your car. If rain is forecast, either bring a tarp or leave stuff at home that you don't want to get wet.

For a first timer, I wouldn't bother with a jack, stands, or air compressor. The likelihood of actually needing them are small, and there's a TON of them around the track anyhow. I'm sure you could borrow one from somebody.

Also, if you take a ride with instructor, you will likely be going faster with that person driving. Don't think you can hop in the car and go at the same speed. I know that you won't try to, but the mind can quickly get used to the increased speed, so it's somewhat natural to accidently attempt to go faster. Just make a mental note to dial it back a few notches. Alternatively, you could do your next few laps at half speed and get your mind reaccustomed to your preferred pace.

Last edited by Brian P; 04-21-2004 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:24 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

The most common error situation I notice as an instructor is when being overtaken. It seems that the good sense a student shows during the run is lost when being overtaken. Make it a rule to stay on line and point the car by. Don't change your driving unless you need to feather off a little to let a slower car by. Check your mirrors but don't drive them. Don't look at them while in a turn, and once you point someone by look ahead and keep going only checking to see if the car has the power to pass.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:37 PM
DAR951
Pro

Originally posted by George from MD
Don't dare mention your goal of club racing to anyone at your first DE!!

Even if it is your goal hearing that is a real turn-off to many instructors (some of whom have been DE'ng for decades and never club-raced and don't want to or don't have the time or money to). That will mark you as overly aggressive and wet behind the ears.

Actually I find it very helpful to know my students goals, both short and long term, racing or oherwise. What instuctors worry about is when a student thinks that DE IS racing... clearly NOT what mamoroso is talking about.

As for "wet behind the ears", BluemaxxRacing has it right with, "there are no dumb questions". Fact is, you ARE wet behind the ears, and that's just fine.

One piece of advise not yet mentioned... Consciously work on stress management. You WILL be on overload, so find a place on the track (usually the main straight) and use it to do something to "reset"... take a deep breath, flex your hands (release the death grip), shrug your shoulders, whatever works for you to break the tension for a second and then get re-focused. Think you'll be surprised at how much it can help, especially in the first few sessions.

Have a great time.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:52 PM
tntporsche
Instructor

There are some lists of what to bring on the DE section of this page as well as some other helpful info - http://www.nnjr-pca.com/

Be yourself and enjoy yourself . . . that's what DE is all about.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:56 PM
87turbo911
Rennlist Member

A lot of what Brian said is true about your first time. On my first time doing DE, aside from bringing my tech sheet, helmet, and willingness to learn (and checking my ego at the door), I brought only an air compressor...my brother brought a jack and a torque wrench. All I did was check my lugnuts for good torque and my tires for even pressures.

His other very good point was about "decompressing" (my term...call it whatever you'd like, however) after riding with an instructor. Remind yourself that you can't drive like that (yet) and let yourself "cool down" after the ride. Depending on the instructor, (s)he may drive your line so you can see how your line COULD be driven (speed, braking, etc...) or the instructor might drive a line that's right for him/her. Make sure you can tell the difference!

I, personally, do a "decompression" relaxation kind of thing before and after every session I'm on the track whether or not I'm the one driving. And, on longer straights, I try to relax myself. Hey, if F1 drivers feel it's good enough for them, then it's good enough for me!

Dar951 makes a good point. At least one of the instructors I've had have asked me what my goals are. I failed to point out is making the differentiation between knowing what your goal is and trying to BE it too early in the game.

Mitch is also right. Be aware of who's behind you but don't fixate on it. Check your mirrors on the straights (especially if you're getting blue flagged!), stay on line (probably at "even" throttle if with comparable cars), and allow the car to pass by giving the signal when appropriate. Sometimes, you might need to lift off the throttle or even brake. After the car has passed, it's back to learning.

Something I learned is not to get concerned about WHAT is passing you and don't think that, just because your car is faster in a straight line, you don't need to let them pass. If that were true, how'd they get there in the first place? Obviously, if you're faster in the straights, they're faster in the corners...if that's the case, let them by and you might never see them again that session. Heck, I got humbled on my first ever session when I pointed by a mid-90s Integra...and I had to brake to let HER pass...and I didn't see her again for that session! Obviously, gender doesn't indicate driving skill! Not THAT big a deal because almost EVERYBODY was passing me- I was still getting myself to trust the car.

Putting pride back into the equation, I felt better that, after I got over the initial fear of crashing the car and trusting what it can do, in the later sessions and in the following day, I was the one doing the passing. I didn't feel better because I was passing people per se, but because it was an indication that I must have improved to go from being the guy getting passed to the guy doing the passing (for the most part).

I think, though, that one of the things that makes me "hold back" on the track (aside from potential costs to fix stuff I break) is that, when the DE is done, I still have to drive home. I think for now I'll keep things that way. Besides, I'm not good enough to warrant a great set of tires never mind a trailer or whatever to haul it around on!

I think that one of the most important things you have to remember is that you're not there to get yourself (or anyone else) killed...you're there to have fun and learn something...all while driving at speeds that would be illegal on the streets!

-Adrian

Quick Reply: 1st DE. Some questions.