Sponsored by:

1st DE. Some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 05:51 PM
mamoroso
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gentlemen

car inspection was done today by a Porsche enthusiast mechanic here in Charlotte NC (Jim at Eurowerks.... great guy). Car is in perfect shape.
DE is next Friday. This weekend I am going to buy a tire temp gauge, little compressed air tank, spare brake fluid.
Do I need a fire estinguisher? Driving gloves?

Thanks again for your help, this is great! I will treasure everything you said and will report on the day as soon as I get home.

Thanks again
Old 04-23-2004, 07:17 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Colorchange!!! Welcome back!!

Matteo: Driving gloves help give you more grip, but they aren't necessary. Same can be said about racnig shoes. A good comfortable sneaker (tennis shoe) is sufficient, but stay away from the type of athetic shoe that has a sole that protrudes to the sides excessively.

Bring extra oil as well: you will be driving your car at or near the redline for 20 minutes at a time: this tends to conume more oil, even on a perfectly maintained older car!

Most regions don't require a fire extinguisher until you are into the upper run groups, but if is never a bad idea to get one in your car -- you never know when you may need one - on the track, or on the street!

Can't wait to hear how you did!!!
-Zoltan.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:36 PM
Kimi322
Advanced

Here's an IMPORTANT one:

Get a good night sleep and bring a sleep aid if needed.

I've only been to the track once but I was so excited that I barely slept all weekend and I was so exhausted.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:42 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 163 Posts

You have a ton of good advice above. Make a simple CHECKLIST well in advance. Mine lists items to bring and tasks to perform (emptying glovebox and such). That way, you can stop thinking about it all for a while. Relax, check the items/tasks off, and you're good to go. I find this to be the best way to get everything "squared away" and off your mind.

You will have a great time. A version of my checklist items appears below. Some of it's overkill, use your own judgment to add/delete or just start anew.

Track Packing List:

ć Helmet
ć Balaclava
ć Driving suit, shoes, gloves
ć Digital Watch
ć Sunglasses
ć Camera & Film
ć Video Camera & Tape
ć Folding Chair(S)
ć Tarp Or Blanket (that's where all the stuff goes)
ć Tent (Optional)
ć Torque Wrench & Sockets
ć Adj. Wrench/Vise Grips
ć Tool Kit (growing assortment of handy items)
ć Tire Gauge
ć Window Cleaner
ć Paper Towels
ć Quikwash And Rags
ć Magnetic Numbers
ć Sunblock
ć Wet Weather Gear
ć Lawn Leaf Bags
ć Umbrella
ć Oil
ć Brake Fluid
ć Brake Pads
ć Cell Phone & Charger
ć Tech Inspection Sheet
ć PCA Membership Card
ć Cash
ƒá Driver¡¦s License
ć Pull Loose Items Out
ć Leave One Floor Mat In
ć Porsche Hat (I get bad helmet head)
ć Video Tripod
ƒá Racer¡¦s Tape
ć Roll Bar Installed
ć Harnesses Installed
ć Fire Exting. Installed
ć Brake Bleeder Kit
Old 04-24-2004, 01:31 AM
Adam Richman
Pro

Matteo, you asked about where to store this stuff when its not in the car. If you haven't been to Kershaw prior, its rather sandy/gritty. W/out the trailer, I usually take a tarp, put all my stuff on half of it, fold it over and put a spare tire down to hold it down. Kershaw is pretty easy on tires but its rather nasty on brakes so having a spare set would not be bad idea although you probably will be fine for a one day event.

Personally, if I knew I wanted to go racing at some point, I'd definately let my instructor know that is my eventual goal. Some of these instructors (talking about Friday right?) are racers and it may help them to understand your goals.

Hopefully there will be a very loud little Integra (yellow/blue) there, any bald/balding guys around that car knows Jim and Keith. I am going to try get down after lunch (black F250) so feel free to drop by and say hello.

And have fun!

Oh and to all the dehydration comments, I have been told to load up on potassium rich foods prior (I try to eat broccoli as much as possible and drink more water than normally the days before) as they are supposed to help keep you hydrated. Not a nutritionist, just what I do.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:37 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

* Drive a bit more conservative with your instructor. They will sign you off quicker. They want to see you consistently hit your line. You are also responsible for their safety.
Can't argue with the third and fourth sentences. The first one bugs me a little. Drive as good as you can, as swiftly as you can. "Fudging for the Test" will not help you continue to learn. Any good instructor is going to know you are sandbagging anyway... and start pushing you to stretch.

It's the second one that sticks in my craw. As if the goal were to be signed off? The goal is to learn, and that often stops when you are signed off. Witness the ragged driving one often sees in the intermediate groups. They are the biggest battle zones with the worst driving and the most danger. Too many people who stopped learning too soon... and don't know it!

Not trying to be a bitch, just to make a point.

Teo - You're going to have a BLAST!!

CNY/PCA Chief Instructor - PCA National Mentor
Old 04-25-2004, 04:49 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Some more comments...

First I highly recommend driving gloves... they allow more consistent grip on the wheel with less effort... remember... leather on leather suede on suede.

Second... couldn't agree more on the comments about "gaming" the instructor... Eddie Haskel belongs in Leave it to Beaver... not the track... you will learn more by working honestly with your instructors... ultimately it is your car, and if you put it in the wall, it is your problem... I have never met an instructor whose first priority is not getting their students home in one piece... if they are telling you to slow down, there is probably a good reason.

I agree that sharing your goals with the instructor is a good idea... I always ask my students what they want to accomplish... some say they want to race... some that they just want to experience track driving... this helps the instructor set priorities...
Old 04-26-2004, 10:45 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by RedlineMan
It's the second one that sticks in my craw. As if the goal were to be signed off? The goal is to learn, and that often stops when you are signed off. Witness the ragged driving one often sees in the intermediate groups. They are the biggest battle zones with the worst driving and the most danger. Too many people who stopped learning too soon... and don't know it!
I must agree with John Hanjy & JCP911S's comments.

Last year, I 'graduated' to the white run group, where instructors are NOT required. On average, I have taken with me not one, but TWO instructors with me per event! (Not planned, it just seems to work out that way!)

Why do I do this? Because I don't want to plateau in terms of my skill and ability, which seems to happen to a lot of folks that feel they no longer need instruction!

It's been stated here before: driving solo and driving with an instructor are both valuable experiences: don't take either forgranted!

My $0.42,
-Z-man.

Last edited by Z-man; 04-26-2004 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:57 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Even as an instructor, I take other instructors for rides and go with them on a regular basis. It is amazing how easy it is to get bad habbits.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:54 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

One more thing, you don't have to run every session, if you're too tired skip the last session. I learned this lesson, I pushed myself to make the last run session when I was too tired, the result was not what I had in mind, a terrible session laced with multiple mistakes. It ruined what was a great weekend. Always leave on a high note.
Now if I'm not up to it, I just sit the session out or go home early if it's the last one.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:02 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

It usually is a good idea to skip the last session. That is when the track is shrouded in red mist.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:20 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 366 Likes on 214 Posts

That's very true.

What I also try to do is slow down and use the last session to remember and improve- try to focus on landmarks, braking points, turn in points, rev levels etc. or work on one particular corner, technique or section whatever.... so you are that much better the next time out....
Old 04-26-2004, 05:34 PM
mamoroso
Racer

Angry I am soooo upset!!!!!

Turnonemotorsport just called.... They had to cancel this Friday's DE.... Need to wait another 3 weeks (next one in May).... I was so pumped up for it.
Nevermind...
Thanks again for all the tips...
Old 04-26-2004, 07:07 PM
Jerry
Instructor

It helps if you say out loud to your instructor what you are thinking to yourself on the one hand and on the other hand it is hard to talk when it is difficult to hear each other unless you yell. If you have a communication set it is a big help. don't try to drive at your limit just pretend you are going rather fast on your favorite entrance/exit ramps. For tires 32 cold should equal 40 hot.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:47 AM
a4944
Racer

Redline,
The first time I soloed I dialed it down even further than when I was with the instructor. I use solo time to pratice on what I have learned. I can also maximize my track time by being one of the first to grid. It's fun and a great sense of freedom. I value both instructor time and solo time. You need both to learn. Some instructors won't sign you off until you hit the line. If you push too hard (lake braking or whatever) you may not hit it. If you want to go solo in these cases, then you should concentrate on hitting the line. It doesn't mean you should crazy on your solo run.

As far as run groups .... I often see many black flags and offs in the .... ummmm ... instructors group.

Mark

Quick Reply: 1st DE. Some questions.