Sponsored by:

Cayman primer

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 12:29 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Cayman primer

I don't know anything about caymans. I'm looking at base Cayman 2006-2012 for a specific race class. Most of these cars have between 70-100k miles. At this point what does it take to make the trans and motor race ready? Are manual gearboxes basically fine with maybe some shifter bushing replacements? Are motors at say 90% of new power at this age and just do IMS bearing? Or are top end refresh needed or total rebuilds needed? Any other gotchas at this age?
Old 02-01-2022, 08:10 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 76 Posts

If allowed for the class, go with a 2009 or newer. The base model 2.9l in the 987.2 is a great engine. It is kind of a hybrid with port injection but the architecture of the newer direct injected engines. It doesn't have the IMS bearing and makes great power for its displacement. The base manual has a smaller ring/pinion than the S but it is the same size as the early 987.1. If possible, going with the S trans would be ideal. You have to either go to the S axles as well or use the flanges off of the base model. If PDK is allowed I would go that direction. A 2.9 PDK car would be super fun.

If sticking with a manual, I like the function first shift cable ends and shifter bushings. IMO The stock cables feel smoother than the aftermarket options and are fine once the cable ends are upgraded.

Add a transmission cooler to either the manual or pdk, add the third center radiator.

Depending on what the rules allow, you can go as wild as you want with the brake system. Motorsport abs, big brake kit, ect.... The GT3 front fender liners are a good way to go with whatever brake kit you add.

Split lower control arms, sway bars, toe links for the rear......basic cayman stuff.

The base model 987.2 is a great car. Most go with the S for obvious reasons but if the class limits make that impossible the base turns out to be a great race car. We ran them in IMSA ST class and later on in World Challenge.
The following 4 users liked this post by coryf:
85Gold (02-01-2022), ProCoach (02-01-2022), sdm100 (02-01-2022), skeeler (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 09:53 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

As stated ^ get a 2009 for the upgrades over the 987.1.

Peter
The following users liked this post:
skeeler (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 09:58 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

Base 987.2 Is a great way to go, Cars are cheaper than an s and the cheapest way to race a Cayman. Base cars race as G cars in pca, 2009-2012 S would be an I car. The other option Is Spec Cayman 2006-2008S
Old 02-01-2022, 06:00 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 274 Posts

I would decide on what version Cayman you want and then be patient and find a prep'ed race car. These sell for 30 cents on the dollar spent for car, roll cage, etc.. PM LuigiVampa or Frank993 for advice and sources of race cars.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:57 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 881 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I don't know anything about caymans. I'm looking at base Cayman 2006-2012 for a specific race class. Most of these cars have between 70-100k miles. At this point what does it take to make the trans and motor race ready? Are manual gearboxes basically fine with maybe some shifter bushing replacements? Are motors at say 90% of new power at this age and just do IMS bearing? Or are top end refresh needed or total rebuilds needed? Any other gotchas at this age?
70 - 100k is a lot of miles for these engines so I would budget for an engine refresh as part of your build. The manual gearboxes are definitely not bullet proof and there is limited ability to rebuild them as Porsche doesn't sell the parts. I'd look to benchmark someone's existing build before you spend money and time engineering your own cooling and oiling system. Other than a deep sump oil pan and trans cooler, you should also consider a power steering cooler. There are shops like Bodymotion, RS1 and Goldcrest that raced these cars in IMSA Continental Tire Challenge ST Class. I would talk to them as they have all the experience.

Old 02-01-2022, 11:21 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
70 - 100k is a lot of miles for these engines so I would budget for an engine refresh as part of your build. The manual gearboxes are definitely not bullet proof and there is limited ability to rebuild them as Porsche doesn't sell the parts..
So basically you need an engine rebuild and I'm OK with that. I'm surprised porsche does not sell parts to rebuild the gearbox. What happens when you need a gear or synchros or? Are there just a few connected shops that have porsche parts access or are racers left putting junkyard gearboxes in their cars?
Old 02-01-2022, 11:26 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,392 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
I would decide on what version Cayman you want and then be patient and find a prep'ed race car. These sell for 30 cents on the dollar spent for car, roll cage, etc.. PM LuigiVampa or Frank993 for advice and sources of race cars.
I raced my Gen1 Cayman in I class, SPC and GTB1 and it was a blast!

Although I no longer race in SPC I keep in contact with most of the people in the class. There is a great email chain where you can communicate with other members of the class - PM your email address if you want to get added.

The only downside of the class is that Matt D will try to lure you into his trailer for a maple scented oil massage.
The following users liked this post:
skeeler (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 08:27 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 881 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
So basically you need an engine rebuild and I'm OK with that. I'm surprised porsche does not sell parts to rebuild the gearbox. What happens when you need a gear or synchros or? Are there just a few connected shops that have porsche parts access or are racers left putting junkyard gearboxes in their cars?
My direct experience is that Porsche doesn't sell gearbox parts to anyone but you should check around and call the shops I mentioned. A lot of us have gone through manual gearboxes and we all had to buy new. Some shops offer repairs with non OEM gear ratios or by swapping used parts

Since you are looking for a Base Cayman, you'd be limited to F and G Class in PCA.

Quick Reply: Cayman primer