Sponsored by:

VIR Adds Front Straight Guardrail

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 01:13 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Oh, I've explored much of the track surroundings at VIR, never on purpose, but never thought about making it to the trees. That was one reason for my question. The other was I thought maybe they were looking for FIA approval for maybe some FIA sanctioned series to run there. Not a criticism, just curiosity.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:25 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,706 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
Oh, I've explored much of the track surroundings at VIR, never on purpose, but never thought about making it to the trees. That was one reason for my question. The other was I thought maybe they were looking for FIA approval for maybe some FIA sanctioned series to run there. Not a criticism, just curiosity.
No, no Mikey! Don't put the armco there. It's not right Mikey! No.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,966 Likes on 1,740 Posts

Originally Posted by thuggo
What do you think is unsafe at Road Atlanta? 1,3,12?
I don't think any track (well, any recognized, FIA rated track hosting professional series testing or competition) is "unsafe." I do think a driver's risk profile can be significantly more at some tracks and corners on those tracks than others.

My history with Road Atlanta includes driving and racing there when there was no T10A-T10B, when there were sheer mud cliff-sided walls at Turn 5, when there was a creek on the inside of the exit of T12 and the pit straight and when the T11 approach was flat out from the exit of T7. Otherwise, it was pretty good and safe for club level drivers.

When the track was purchased by Don Panoz, there were discussions about hosting Formula 1. Then, when that went south (they told him what the sanction fee was), attention turned to CART/IndyCar. That fizzled out, but not before all the changes were made to attract top level series.

That is also why a) T10A-T10B was installed (also to add the tunnel to the infield, which filled in the notorious Dip) and b) 8-12 feet tall concrete walls, most no more than fifty feet off the track surface, were installed to "contain" the cars from spectator areas.

I know you didn't ask for a history lesson on RA, a track near and dear to my heart, but yes, drivers right at the exit of T3 has claimed a LOT of people over the years, drivers left at the exit of T5, drivers right exit of T7 and of course, Turn 12, the concrete canyon, a place where a friend almost lost his legs and his life when a Shadow Can-Am car had the throttle stick coming down the hill.

It's also the only place I've had car-write-off accident(s), both times the bottom of the Esses, so I treat it with the ultimate respect. Road Atlanta is a tremendous place, but not forgiving for any driver, let alone folks prone to making mistakes.

I think that's the bottom line. Just treating every track with wariness and a lot of respect, making speed changes at entry incrementally and always having an exit strategy, if possible. Works at Road Atlanta, VIR and Watkins Glen. Pretty much all others, too.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following 3 users liked this post by ProCoach:
Matt Romanowski (01-12-2022), tlambie (01-12-2022), Veloce Raptor (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 01:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by John H
The other was I thought maybe they were looking for FIA approval for maybe some FIA sanctioned series to run there.
Getting warmer there... Maybe an ACCUS member club series?
Old 01-12-2022, 02:13 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I don't think any track (well, any recognized, FIA rated track hosting professional series testing or competition) is "unsafe." I do think a driver's risk profile can be significantly more at some tracks and corners on those tracks than others.

My history with Road Atlanta includes driving and racing there when there was no T10A-T10B, when there were sheer mud cliff-sided walls at Turn 5, when there was a creek on the inside of the exit of T12 and the pit straight and when the T11 approach was flat out from the exit of T7. Otherwise, it was pretty good and safe for club level drivers.

When the track was purchased by Don Panoz, there were discussions about hosting Formula 1. Then, when that went south (they told him what the sanction fee was), attention turned to CART/IndyCar. That fizzled out, but not before all the changes were made to attract top level series.

That is also why a) T10A-T10B was installed (also to add the tunnel to the infield, which filled in the notorious Dip) and b) 8-12 feet tall concrete walls, most no more than fifty feet off the track surface, were installed to "contain" the cars from spectator areas.

I know you didn't ask for a history lesson on RA, a track near and dear to my heart, but yes, drivers right at the exit of T3 has claimed a LOT of people over the years, drivers left at the exit of T5, drivers right exit of T7 and of course, Turn 12, the concrete canyon, a place where a friend almost lost his legs and his life when a Shadow Can-Am car had the throttle stick coming down the hill.

It's also the only place I've had car-write-off accident(s), both times the bottom of the Esses, so I treat it with the ultimate respect. Road Atlanta is a tremendous place, but not forgiving for any driver, let alone folks prone to making mistakes.

I think that's the bottom line. Just treating every track with wariness and a lot of respect, making speed changes at entry incrementally and always having an exit strategy, if possible. Works at Road Atlanta, VIR and Watkins Glen. Pretty much all others, too.
I get ya and I see what you are talking about. Turn 3 is where I had my off...and I got lucky on the angling and bouncy of the plastic barrier there. A few more yards....and it would have been the concrete.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Ouch!
Old 01-13-2022, 08:57 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

At VIR I got pushed off the track right there at the kink (near start/finish), someone to my right wasn’t aware the track had a bend and kept going straight. I slid in the grass way past Turn 1 all the way down to the gun range, no damage and no issues other than a lot of grass under the car. I guess if that happens now you will get collected by a barrier - ouch!

I’ve had 4-offs at VIR too many times. Danny, the starter, once asked me if my car was 4 wheel drive.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:04 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
Danny, the starter, once asked me if my car was 4 wheel drive.
That’s not a compliment! Be careful out there!
Old 01-13-2022, 02:58 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,706 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
Danny, the starter, once asked me if my car was 4 wheel drive.
Originally Posted by ProCoach
That’s not a compliment! Be careful out there!
Unless it is Matt D saying this to you. Grass is a racing surface!
Old 01-13-2022, 03:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Unless it is Matt D saying this to you. Grass is a racing surface!
Never one to miss a beat...

Old 01-13-2022, 05:36 PM
69911s
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

"I’ve had 4-offs at VIR too many times. Danny, the starter, once asked me if my car was 4 wheel drive."

You should see his patented short cut from South Bend to the back straight. Saves lots of time!
Old 01-13-2022, 06:14 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Next time anyone goes off straight at VIR on Turn 1, let me know if you see my front splitter...
Old 01-13-2022, 07:26 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Out West we race dessert tracks and when you go off we slide out in the dirt to slow you down. My 1st time at VIR was light mist/rain. I was shocked to see the car in front of me leave the track and make it all the way to the fence. Grass baby...slick as snot!
Old 01-14-2022, 09:02 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Out West we race dessert tracks and when you go off we slide out in the dirt to slow you down. My 1st time at VIR was light mist/rain. I was shocked to see the car in front of me leave the track and make it all the way to the fence. Grass baby...slick as snot!
Actually at VIR they put a layer of Vaseline on the grass to give it a good shine
Old 01-14-2022, 09:32 AM
drive418
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by certz
Buddy of mine had an incident coming onto the front straight when a car spun in front of him. The hit ruptured the front left brake line, spun him around and he went off track left backwards with no brakes. He went so far into the trees it took several minutes before corner workers and safety realized where he was - they apparently thought he was able to go into the pits as they could not see him in the trees. Luckily he was fine but those extra minutes could have been a big deal had he been injured. In my opinion, this is a good safety addition to the track.
^^^This was me. Went backwards into the trees. Stayed in the car for several minutes as we are always told. It occurred to me I better get out. Walked out of the trees to find no safety crew around. Upon their arrival, they stated, "we had no idea you were in there." Pretty worrisome to say the least. Freak occurrence, I am sure. But from personal experience, I am happy to see this change.

Quick Reply: VIR Adds Front Straight Guardrail