Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SoCal Driving courses, clubs or ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2022 | 02:51 PM
991_T
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Whoaaaa there, lots of events: See the 2022 Calendar: https://pcasdr.org/events/2022-01/

PCA San Diego Region (SDR) is the most active chapter in PCA's Zone 8 (SoCal), and probably in the entire state, doing at least 6 Time Trials and DE per year. In addition one of our San Diego Independents, very actively supports driving events, Vollig Autowerkes, Adam Gill and associates.

http://volligautowerks.com

9393 Trade Place
San Diego CA 92126
(858) 693-9300
Services they offer:
  • Routine maintenance and repair,
  • Tech Inspections for track events,
  • Modifications and enhancements to cars,
  • Fabrication (Build Roll Cages, etc.), build track cars from scratch, example Spec Boxster,
  • Track Support. Vollig Autowerkes attends every event on the PCA SDR calendar. Track support, they support up to 30 cars with Adam, Gary and their crew. For $275 a weekend, yuu do nothing, they do everything. They'll do one (1) wheel change pewr day, check your tire pressures going out and coming back in, clean the windshield, provide a reserve parking place, take care of minor repairs as needed. I have been using this service for quite a while, for all intentrs and purposes, it's arrive and drive, leave the details to the track support crew.
  • Limited in-car instruction, COVID permitting. Adam, the owner, is the former Chief Driving Instructor for PCA SDR.
Note: I receive no compensation or consideration for this endorsement.
^^^^^ Duley noted ^^^^^^^
Hum I joined PCA Porsche Club of America Orange Coast and not POC Porsche Owners Club LOL now I do see that PCA SD does have a calendar with future events as well as POC Porsche Owners Club, well I hope PCA OC enjoys my donation LOL

Old 01-13-2022 | 02:55 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991_T
I hope PCA OC enjoys my donation LOL
Technically, you joined PCA, not PCA OC Region, even though that is your home region.

You can run with any region you want, so check the schedules of the regions in Zones 6, 7, & 8 on the link I posted above.
Will be helpful to you as you can check each "regions" calendars for track days.

The following users liked this post:
991_T (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022 | 04:07 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Alfa Club (AROSC)

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Alfa Club events are a lot of fun in SoCal and elsewhere.
They do run a great event. have done several events with them in the past.
Old 01-13-2022 | 04:16 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991_T
^^^^^ Duley noted ^^^^^^^
Hum I joined PCA Porsche Club of America Orange Coast and not POC Porsche Owners Club LOL now I do see that PCA SD does have a calendar with future events as well as POC Porsche Owners Club, well I hope PCA OC enjoys my donation LOL
You have joined PCA Orange County. You can go on-line and change your Cliub affiliation. to match yout address. Clubs doing the most events:
  • POC**
  • PCA SDR**
  • PCA Golden Gate Region**
  • Alfa Club**
  • Lotus Club (NorCal) Thet run some interesting one (1) day events
Upcoming 2022 GGLC track days:March 14, Buttonwillow
May 16, Thunderhill East 3 mile
June 16, Sonoma Raceway (aka Sears Point...a must drive track)
July 14, Thunderhill 5 mile
September 2, Sonoma Raceway (aka Sears Point...a must drive track)
October 15, Streets of Willow Springs
Other interesting "clubs" (For Profit)
  • Speed Ventures,**
  • NASA SoCal **
  • N. California Racing Club **
** I have run with these Clubs in the past. No bad experiences to report.

Last edited by Martin S.; 01-13-2022 at 04:20 PM.
Onad (01-17-2022)
Old 01-24-2022 | 02:10 PM
991_T
Rennlist Member

Ok I return home last night from an awesome weekend at Buttonwillow Raceway while attending The University of VARA's two day driving coarse.
I had a great time and learned a ton.
I'd say it was about 50/50 class time and track with both being a full 8hr day with Skid Pad, Slalom, Brake Threshold and then Track.
The classroom covered pretty much everything from safety to in detail about Apex, Braking, Passing, Track Rules, Flags and more.
There were 6 track sessions totaling about 4hrs.
I had an instructor in my car for every session (one guy twice) they were all great with the last gentleman at the end of the day screaming like a little schoolgirl LOL
It was interesting to note that three instructors had the basically same line around the track with one having a similar but very different in a few turns.
All of the instructors were grate overall and were all available to answer any questions after your track sessions to explain in more detail out of the car.
Luckily for me there was a Porsche guy present that knew Porsche's like the back of his hand.
Overall, I would highly recommend this class to new drivers or experienced drivers, there was a group that had several spec'd race cars with drivers having several years on the track but were back for some reason or another.
Also to note that quite a few of the instructors are the same instructors that teach out of Fast Lane high performance driving school, several Fast Lane cars (Toyota's) were rented by the participants.

Ok so now that I've been bitten, I'm on the search for the next driving experience preferably with ALL Porsche's in the field, it was painful following other mfg 's ill handling vehicles on the track LOL.

The following 2 users liked this post by 991_T:
Manda Racing (01-27-2022), ProCoach (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022 | 03:14 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

If you are in the N.O.C., assuming that is Northern Orange County in CA? And you are looking to take a leap forward in your performance driving, .there are many resourse here for you, in addition to those you have already discovered.
  • DK Racing School at Willow Springs, run by Dwain Dement and Martha Kwan, top POC drivers. They have Craig Stanton on their staff, a world class pro-driver with an incredible resume of driving accomplishments,
  • Vision Motorsports, Dwain's shop in Laguna Niguel and Dwain also a shop at the track at Willow Springs,
  • Vali Predescu, Vali Motorsports: https://valimotorsports.com/about-vali-motorsports Vali suppoorts 20 + drivers at all Porsche Owners Club events,
  • Speed Galery, Dan Aspesi's shop.,,he is a top POC driver, POC Driver of the year. Dan supports 20 + drivers at all POC events.
  • Vollig Autowerks in San Diego, supposts 20+ drivers at all PCA San Diego Region events. It is run by Adam Gill, a brilliant technician, and a most excellent driver as well. I use Vollig for track support; it's my local shop. They provide an arrive and drive experience of very high quality.
  • Porsche Owners Club (POC) provides several levels of instruction, their Performance Driving Series, where ample instruction is offered, and the opportunity to advance up the driving performance ladder is available, from beginner to wheel to wheel racing, with two (2) levels of Time Trial, one with a required passing signal, the the other Open Passing, and for those wishing to matriculate to wheel to wheel racing, 2X per year they offer their Racer's Clinic. You need to successfully complete two (2) clinics to be eligible for a provisional racing license. I have attended this and can attest to its quality. At the conclusion of your first weekend, you'll do your first wheel to wheel race, employing the skills you have just learned....notng, you need to have a driving resume for the Clonic, I beliecve it to be at least six (6) Time Trials, and arrive in a racing prepared car to incluse roll cage, 5/6 point belts, fire supression and window net. You'll also need a SNELL 2015 or newer helmet, racing suit, gloves and shoes with Nomex socks.
  • PCA San Diego Region aka PCA SDR, runs an entry level run group at all of their events, about six (6) events a year. They run a very orderly program, in addition, they offer a Performance Driving School 1X or 2X per year. At every event, there are four (4) run groups based on the driver's prefered niche: Green for the Novice, Yellow, Orange and Red. All groups require a passing signal from the driver to the closing car before before a pass may be done. Break this rule and you get the Black Flag, do it too many times, you are going home. Those with highly modified cars will need all the safety devices mentioned above.
I have saved the best, and the least expensive for last! Get a Garmin Catalyst from Peter Krause (peter@peterkrause.net), plug it in and you will receive "real time" audio coaching, and in addition, post run session, you will be provided three (3) opportunities for your next session. Also note, from what I have observed at the track, the best drivers are using the Catalyst. Cost is about $1,000....the same as the cost of a ProCoach for a day. Plus, if you somehow don't like the Catalyst, there are eager buyers in the wings (As they always are) just waitng tor the opportunity to save a few bucks on a Catalyst. I bought my Catalyst from Peter based on his reputation on Rennist: He is a pro-driving coach and he knows of what he speaks...as well as providing technical support if required; he suppoirts what he sells. You won't need any support, but just in case you do, he'll be there. And lastly, I receive no consideration or compensatioin for recommending Peter and/or Catalyst or any of the schools or experiences mentioned above.

This is exhausting...just like on Shark Tank, I am OUT!
991_T (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022 | 05:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thank you, Martin! Yes, I have one more...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-24-2022 | 06:08 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default One more...

Thank you, Martin! Yes, I have one more...
Garmin Caralyst for sale?
Old 01-24-2022 | 06:10 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Garmin Caralyst for sale?
Yes!
Old 01-24-2022 | 08:08 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Yes!
I referred my buddy Bryan's wife Krista to you last June for the puchase of a Garmin Catalyst, for Bryan's birthday. Bryan and I are fresh back from a trip to Chuckwalla Valley Raceway, and he posting up his best times ever, knocking at least 8 seconds off his former personal best. This experience made him a believer and forged a deeper bond between him and his 2004 GT3. Thanks for all you do and have done for out sport. I had fun with mine as well....was taking it easy in a new to me 2017 Carrera GTS.....
ProCoach (01-24-2022)
Old 01-25-2022 | 03:24 PM
911ted
Instructor

They do run a great event. have done several events with them in the past.
They have a great W2W race group with a good mix of car types.
I had a good time last year racing with them.
Some consider it the best ICW class race available in SoCal.

Quick Reply: SoCal Driving courses, clubs or ?