Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SoCal Driving courses, clubs or ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 04:49 PM
991_T
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Default SoCal Driving courses, clubs or ?

What would be the best place to get some driver training on the track,
I'm close within an hour or two to Fontana, Chuckwalla, Willow Springs and Button Willow.
My neighbor is a VARA member and he suggested I show up at a VARA meeting and take a few laps with a trainer, but I don't know if the individual would have knowledge of rear wheel powered vehicles like a 911 and maybe more into vintage cars.
Does anyone have any experiences with other clubs or could add some to my list?

Thanks in Advance
Old 01-09-2022, 07:16 PM
452gt3
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Both POC AND PCA have good training programs at the tracks you are talking about or DK Racing at Willowsprings.
Old 01-09-2022, 09:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,306 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Driving advice is driving advice. If the VARA event is convenient, why not?

They used to (and may still) run a good school program called University of VARA. Yes, it's a vintage/ historic racing club, but there are some good shoes there.

As mentioned, POC and PCA have some good programs.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
Manda Racing (01-27-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 02:19 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 452gt3
Both POC AND PCA have good training programs at the tracks you are talking about or DK Racing at Willowsprings.
DK Racing at Willow Springs: My neighbor's son just did their one (1) day course....his dad accompanied him..he is ex Track Rat. Dad was very inpressed with the one day class. It is held at the Streets of Willow on thr Willowsprings Campus. The kid loved the class too.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:00 PM
991_T
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Driving advice is driving advice. If the VARA event is convenient, why not?

They used to (and may still) run a good school program called University of VARA. Yes, it's a vintage/ historic racing club, but there are some good shoes there.

As mentioned, POC and PCA have some good programs.
I'm all set for a (2) day course @Button Willow through University of VARA in two weeks.
I'll look into POC and PCA next to see what's on their schedules.

Thanks
ProCoach (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 03:37 PM
911ted
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Alpha Romeo Club of SoCal has a school too.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:44 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by 991_T
I'm all set for a (2) day course @Button Willow through University of VARA in two weeks.
I'll look into POC and PCA next to see what's on their schedules.

Thanks
Sounds like you're on your way.

Good on you. Keep us posted and please repot back.

I am planning a 3-week Cali Track Tour for next season (2023), so I'm gonna be looking for some west coast track advice as well.

This season, it's gonna be a 2-week track tour of Texas in February. Can't wait......
991_T (01-11-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 01:09 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I did the vara school at Buttonwillow way back in the day. It was fun. Good intro to the sport.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cory M:
991_T (01-12-2022), ProCoach (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 05:00 PM
991_T
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cory M
I did the vara school at Buttonwillow way back in the day. It was fun. Good intro to the sport.
Thanks I'm looking forward to it, I joined PCA yesterday and after I joined, I checked out their schedule there were no events scheduled in Ca in 2022 ? HUH
Old 01-12-2022, 05:04 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Thanks I'm looking forward to it, I joined PCA yesterday and after I joined, I checked out their schedule there were no events scheduled in Ca in 2022 ? HUH
Schedules may not be out yet, that's first.

Second, you can do DE's with other PCA regions or private track groups, not just the region you joined.

Here is the region directory for North America. Def more than 1 region you can run with....

Region Directory | The Porsche Club of America (pca.org)

On the map, the numbers are "zones".
Each "zone" has many "regions".
Looks like quite a few in Cali and surrounding states...

Last edited by dgrobs; 01-12-2022 at 05:05 PM.
991_T (01-13-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 05:25 PM
911ted
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

The SCCA AX group that was with the OCR PCA burned their bridges their and the O.C. PCA Board has yet to get over it.
That same AX group went to the POC and lasted there 2 years, before the bridge got burned again..
The same AX group is now with the L.A. PCA chapter and there first event is this Sat. @ Anaheim Stadium for $125.00
Lets see how long the honeymoon lasts this time around ?
A true PCA - AX / DE program with excellent instructors has been going @ the SDR region for a long time, consider running with them.
Old 01-12-2022, 05:31 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Whoaaaa there, lots of events: See the 2022 Calendar: https://pcasdr.org/events/2022-01/

PCA San Diego Region (SDR) is the most active chapter in PCA's Zone 8 (SoCal), and probably in the entire state, doing at least 6 Time Trials and DE per year. In addition one of our San Diego Independents, very actively supports driving events, Vollig Autowerkes, Adam Gill and associates.

http://volligautowerks.com

9393 Trade Place
San Diego CA 92126
(858) 693-9300
Services they offer:
  • Routine maintenance and repair,
  • Tech Inspections for track events,
  • Modifications and enhancements to cars,
  • Fabrication (Build Roll Cages, etc.), build track cars from scratch, example Spec Boxster,
  • Track Support. Vollig Autowerkes attends every event on the PCA SDR calendar. Track support, they support up to 30 cars with Adam, Gary and their crew. For $275 a weekend, yuu do nothing, they do everything. They'll do one (1) wheel change pewr day, check your tire pressures going out and coming back in, clean the windshield, provide a reserve parking place, take care of minor repairs as needed. I have been using this service for quite a while, for all intentrs and purposes, it's arrive and drive, leave the details to the track support crew.
  • Limited in-car instruction, COVID permitting. Adam, the owner, is the former Chief Driving Instructor for PCA SDR.
Note: I receive no compensation or consideration for this endorsement.
Old 01-12-2022, 06:45 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah the San Diego PCA time trial series is great. Good group of people and a ton of track time. Going to Chuckwalla next weekend (hope to see you there Martin!). There are more hoops to jump through than a typical track day, like taking your car to a tech station before the event, and they do sell out.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:58 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Cory, I hope to see you and your dad there! I am ready!!!!

Breaking News: Historicaly Porsche Owners Club had the following classes:
  • Performance Driving Series (PDS), for newby drivers, only safety requirement would be a SNELL 2015 or > helmet and stock 3 point seat belts, and passing with a signal
  • Time Trial, Open passing and the following safety gear: Two (2) sets of 5/6 point bells, a 1/2 cage or full cage to attatch these belts, harness bats not allowed and race seats must have the proper slots to properly thread the belts though so as NOT to compress the drivers spine in the event of an incident, and a proper fire extinguisher.
  • Race Classes: All of the above safety gear required in addition a full cage, an engine shut off and window nets required. Orange and Red Groups.
The Big Change i. RED:
  • Performance Driving Series (PDS) as mentioned above,
  • Time Trial, passing signal required,
  • Time Trial, Open passing as descrived above
  • Race Groups: Orange and Red.
This means that POC with the new Time Trial, passing signal required run group offers the same driving experience that is offered by nearly all other drivng Clubs, with a unique twist, ten (10) driving events over the calendar yeafr: https://www.porscheclub.com/2022-eve...edule-results/ Take a peek at this URL and you'll see most of the best tracks in the West listed.

With POC's four tiered offernfg, now drivers can run at a level where they feel comfortable, but at the same time, there is always the possibility that they can move up to the next level, if they so choose, going as far as wheel to wheel racing (No passing signal required). Prior to the announcement of the new Time Trial, passing signal required class,unless you were willing to spend the money $$$$ for the safety gear mentioned above, and at the same time make you car far less street orientated, you only choice was to run in the PDS class. The problem that one can encounter in PDS class, was the range of driver's experience, from 1st timers to seasoned track fanatics wantng to drive their essentially steet cars to the track, do the event and drive home. Many drivers are not interested in doing the mods required for the POC TT Open Passing class..... now they have a home. And as well all know, NASA, PCA, Speed Ventures, etc., offer tiered classes based on driver's experience and comfort level. Now these groups will have a little competition for the pool of avalable drivers out there.

Why would I take the time to post this? I have been a member of POC snce 1989, and feel an obligation to spread the good news of this new TT with a Passing Signal class.With 20+ years of track experience, 10 of which were in wheel to wheel racing with POC, If I wanted to run with POC based on the location of the event, I could only participate in the PDS class. Being that I am not willing to exract the creature comforts of my later model Porsche, and that I drive the car on the street, to butcher my car allowing me to drive in the POC Open Passing POC class was not an option.

For what it's worth, you now have an additional option for the track, and at the most desirable venues. And if you have the urge to matriculate to wheel to wheel racing, the path is there for you. Also note, POC offers two (2) Racer's Clinics per year. It take successful completion of two (2) clinics to earn a provisional racng license.

Last edited by Martin S.; 01-13-2022 at 02:03 PM.
991_T (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 02:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,306 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Alfa Club events are a lot of fun in SoCal and elsewhere.

Quick Reply: SoCal Driving courses, clubs or ?