Sponsored by:

Surface cracks on a 993 TT rotor

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 10:29 AM
CMMTracknut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surface cracks on a 993 TT rotor

Do you guys run with surface cracks on your rotors? on my fronts only there are the slightest spidering surface cracks on the rotor. they don't go into the material appear to be on the last 1/32nd of the face. I have already ordered new ones but don't want to waste the ones on there now. They have tons of thickness material left. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
C
PS I run pagid orange and have brake cooling ducts
Old 04-18-2004, 11:48 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Depends on the severity of the cracks, but real minor ones I definitely run with.

Sam
Old 04-18-2004, 01:21 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is normal and shows that you are actually using the brakes. When they connect the vent holes (or get to that length) it is time to replace the rotors.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:35 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Mark is correct with a couple of additional thoughts from Porsche Motor Sport. The cracks can actually connect 2 vent holes but not 3 and also if a crack gets to the outer edge of the rotor then you must replace. Your rotors are very similar to the ones on the 996 Cup just a slightly smaller dia 322mm I believe instead of 330mm but same material and same construction. We always replace when we see 2 holes connect as Mark mentions just to be ahead of it a bit though, also when the grooving/ridging gets bad(judgement call).
Old 04-18-2004, 08:09 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 394 Posts

Here's what the factory has to say on the subject
Old 04-19-2004, 12:37 AM
mds
Pro

Guidance I am using comes from Porsche AG on 964 Cup Car Cast Iron Disks. Thanks to 993_996_enthusiast for the quote:

"Ventilated discs will develop small heat cracks with race use. These cracks will have no effect on braking. Discs must be replace (sic) when three or more adjacent radial holes are connected by cracks or the outside edge of the disc is cracked."

I just replaced the discs on my car. Here is a pic:

Although cracks to not run to the edges, they are starting to connect several holes, so I figured it was time to replace them, especially since my next track day is at Laguna Seca.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:09 AM
CMMTracknut
Instructor

thanks for all of the advice. I have new rotors so I think I will go forward with replacing them. I don't think the cracks are too bad but I would rather have the piece of mind.
thanks again
C
Old 04-19-2004, 09:21 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Mike,
Your rotors were definetly needing replacement.

CMM,
Just keep your take offs as a spare set if you happen to need them. I wouldn't replace them until the get close to looking like Mike's.

Quick Reply: Surface cracks on a 993 TT rotor