Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At what point/experience did you feel comfortable disabling PCM for DE's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 03:50 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,695 Likes on 1,147 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Do some skid pad work, whether in your car or a rental car, to start getting a sense of how a car moves around. This will help you immensely as you wean yourself off the nannies.
^^This^^

Worked wonders for me back in the day.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:56 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I drove like a hooligan on the street for a long time, so I turned off traction and stability control systems pretty early on as it makes the car feel more natural to me.

Do you anticipate it every time when the light comes on? If it surprises you to see it come on sometimes, your intuition and skills need more development.

If you can't afford to damage your car with a mistake, consider leaving the traction control on or buying insurance, and try to move to a cheaper track or race car.

Assuming you can afford the risks and you predict the interventions, I'd recommend you turn it off, drive less aggressively, and work your speed back up paying a lot of attention to your tires and their slip behavior. Your training wheels are gone. You'll probably be faster once you feel you're back up to your current pace, and the car will be a lot more fun at the limit as it will be talking to you unfiltered for the first time.

But a RWD 911 is a tricky way to start. I started to learn car control on front engine RWD sports cars, and it's much easier because it's predictable and the car defaults to understeer when you make a mistake and let off the throttle. I also find mid-engine RWD cars to be easier to handle at the limits of traction than rear engine RWD. They're a lot more direct with very low inertia so there's less effort devoted to managing the dynamics of the car so long as you have fast hands and keep it from spinning.
....that said, sliding into an apex on the brakes and then pinning the throttle to rocket out of a corner is sure fun. In some ways it might be the best kind of hooligan!
Old 09-07-2021, 10:31 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,806 Likes on 987 Posts

I'd also recommend parking the 911 for track use, blasphamy! and buying a 3rd gen miata or even a RX8 (09+ preferably) if you want to go really cheap for car cost and run that for a year or 2 at the track. Bleed the brakes, get some half decent skinny tires for it, do an alignment and go. You can fully kill the drivers aids in both those cars, they're the best handling cars imo that are dirt cheap, and I don't think there is a single person that goes to the track that is going to shed many tears over putting a 5g RX8 into a wall.

Quick Reply: At what point/experience did you feel comfortable disabling PCM for DE's?