Sponsored by:

PCA DE requirements for non OEM seats

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 09:44 PM
Steve Dawson
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT
I don’t see issue with just using seats (and three point stock belts), but once you add a harness, everything changes as noted.
Before getting a dedicated track car, I used a similar arrangement with the consent of the chief driving instructor (CDI). Actually, I kept the stock passenger seat and had a driver side Recaro Profi SPG seat, both using the stock 3-points. This satisfied his interpretation of equal restraint. Having a race seat greatly reduced the effort required to stay in place and improved my feel for what the car was doing. I also had a DAS rollbar, but I don't think that factored into his decision. Obviously, YMMV. Talk to your CDI about what is acceptable.
Old 09-03-2021, 12:19 AM
schell
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by xkdc2001
Hi all,

I've been tracking my 996 C4S with PCA potomac and New York for a couple years. I'd like to upgrade from my stock seats to something that will provide better support as my skills develop further.

I've tried reading the regulations and searching but have been unable to determine:
- Will PCA allow for third party seats to be installed if I'm only driving in DE events?
- If I select a seat with 3, 4 or 5 point harness compatibility, is it required to have a roll bar installed or will PCA allow seats + harness + harness bar?

The 996 is my daily driver so I'd prefer to find a solution that would allow me to daily drive safely (no bare heads hitting roll bars!). i'd greatly appreciate any advice from those who have tackled this issue previously.

I wish the cost of a second hand 996 GT3 seat was more reasonable because that would be a no brainer but unfortunately I can't really justify a $4k+ outlay!

Cheers.
I am trying to decide the same thing, I am thinking of getting really good sport seats and keep 3 point belts,I know if I go with a 5-6 point belts and race seats I then will have to add a roll bar for safety.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:24 AM
xkdc2001
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much for spelling this out. While the risk of a rollover is low, it’s not 0. So for me it’s starting to seem like the best approach is an upgraded seat but to continue using the stock 3 point belt.

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
Read JTT’s post carefully. When you are using the OEM 3-point seatbelt system the passengers will lay over during a rollover event (i.e. the driver would lay over towards the passenger seat), this allows the roof to collapse without causing a lot of injuries. Now imagine what would happen if you were in a 6-point harness and the roof collapsed during a roll over, someone is getting shorter or decapitated. This is why harness bars are frowned upon and why you need a roll bar with 5/6-point belts.

The good news is that a roll bar sits well behind the seats in a 996 and do not come close to being a hand banging problem, unfortunately you will effectively lose your dear seats. If you were to show up at a DE with decent matching seats, roll bar, 6-point harness, and HANS you would pass with flying colors.

Bottom line: The entire setup is considered a system and isn’t acceptable until the system is complete.

Last edited by xkdc2001; 09-04-2021 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:36 AM
xkdc2001
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is going to be my approach to begin with, and once I’m able to give up my rear seats I’ll look at doing a bolt in roll bar with a 5 point.

One concern I have is daily driving with a roll bar - what is the best way to mitigate risk of impact on bare heads if there’s a crash?

Originally Posted by Steve Dawson
Before getting a dedicated track car, I used a similar arrangement with the consent of the chief driving instructor (CDI). Actually, I kept the stock passenger seat and had a driver side Recaro Profi SPG seat, both using the stock 3-points. This satisfied his interpretation of equal restraint. Having a race seat greatly reduced the effort required to stay in place and improved my feel for what the car was doing. I also had a DAS rollbar, but I don't think that factored into his decision. Obviously, YMMV. Talk to your CDI about what is acceptable.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:25 PM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 250 Posts

Thank you so much for spelling this out. While the risk of a rollover is low, it’s not 0. So for me it’s starting to seem like the best approach is an upgraded seat but to continue using the stock 3 point belt.

I encourage you to have a conversation with your Chief Technical Inspector about aftermarket seats and stock three point belts. I do not believe that this combination is allowed with PCA Potomac.

As mentioned above the factory Euro “GT3” fixed bucket seats may be your best option if you would like to keep your stock three point belts.

If you need access to the rear seats, you have the option of installing one Euro “GT3” fixed bucket seat for the driver and keeping the stock passenger seat, both using factory three point belts.

This combination will meet the equal restraint criteria listed above and save on cost because you only need to purchase one Euro “GT3” fixed bucket drivers seat. If your current drivers seat is in good condition you can sell it and offset some of the cost for the “GT3” seat

Last edited by Patrick3000; 09-04-2021 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:30 PM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 250 Posts

...One concern I have is daily driving with a roll bar - what is the best way to mitigate risk of impact on bare heads if there’s a crash?
You already know the answer, the best way to mitigate the risk of impact on a bare head is to NOT install a roll bar in a street car that will be driven with three point belts.

Last edited by Patrick3000; 09-04-2021 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:05 AM
Manda Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

I find that just the comp seat (and OEM belts) won’t satisfactory hold you in.

Also— find someone who has done exactly what you're after so you know it fits in the car.

Old 09-05-2021, 10:47 AM
Santi
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have personally witnessed an instructor get denied to go on track because he had aftermarket seats and was using the oem 3 point seatbelt at a PCA event. Be mindful of how the rules are interpreted by your region.

Last edited by Santi; 09-05-2021 at 01:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Patrick3000 (09-05-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 11:20 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Santi
I have personally witnessed an instructor get denied to go on track because he had aftermarket seats and was using the oem 3 point seatbelt at a PCA event. Be mindful if how the rules are interpreted by your region.
Thats interesting, I run with 7 different PCA clubs up and down the east coast and have never seen this. I left the OEM 3-point belts in my car (along with a 6-point system, Recaro seats, and a roll bar) so that I could; a) take out students who don’t have a HANS (common in Green and Blue), and b) so I can still daily drive the car. As for head hits on the roll bar, the bar is easily 12” behind the seats, the only was to hit it is if the entire car compressed - at which time hitting a roll bar isn’t your biggest concern.

An instructor leaving the 3-points belts in their car is considered a bonus in most clubs.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:37 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Not sure if this was mentioned (I sporadically read this thread): be careful with buckets and stock 3pt (or really any) belts. The lap belt MUST align and wrap around your pelvis. With buckets with raised sides, It's near impossible to route a 3 pt through the proper holes in the side to orient the belt correctly.

If the belt rides too high, it can cause serious injuries in even a moderate impact.
Old 09-06-2021, 11:50 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts

I have not read all posts.

Requirements are pretty easy to find.

Experience perhaps less so.

The Potomac Region has a rich history in performance driving. There may be resources that can help that do not participate in forums.

During the past couple of decades, forums have created their own truths and cultures that in some cases aren't really based on reality and experience.

For example, one of my favorites has to do with "weight of helmets."

One potential resource in VA is OG Racing. I first became their customer in 1994. They have a lot of experience.

Quick Reply: PCA DE requirements for non OEM seats