Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE Organizers: 2021 attendance? Up? Down?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2021 | 11:36 AM
Robert Nixon
Racer

Just an observation as a driver, the NASA group offers a free HPDE weekend to purchasers of new Supras, and there are a lot of them showing up. Whether or not they stay involved with track events I don't know, but an upcoming WGI weekend has 31 signed up for HPDE 1 (beginner) so far, and 18 of them are Supras. At Palmer last fall, I saw 6 or so new Toyota Supras, same free weekend deal I assume.
Old 08-26-2021 | 12:30 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

I can't speak to CVR's car count as I don't handle registration but my observation is that car clubs associated with a more expensive marque, such as Porsche or Ferrari, have much older members as they are generally the only ones who can afford the cars.

Car club which admit any marques, such as NASA, SCCA, or the various HPDE organizations, have an easier time getting the younger "tuner" crown in with less expensive cars. See Robert Nixon's example above.

I did an AER race at VIR in July and it was bursting at the seams - great car count. Lots of lesser expensive cars including a plethora of older BMWs, Mustangs and miatas. It was really good racing and I had a blast!

Heading this weekend to Thompson, CT to take part in a Champ car race which the organizers have warned us is packed to the gills!

Accordingly, I think that even though many regions will accent non-Porsches, people will naturally gravitate to the more non-exclusive clubs and organizations if they are not driving a Porsche. Covid has also had a disproportionate affect on PCA since its drivers tend to be older, they are the ones more concerned with contracting Covid, and stayed home in larger numbers. The instructor corps was thrown into disarray as those who would still show up at the track would not necessarily get in a car with a student.

I fear that even as Covid fears abate, car counts will continue their slow decline as Porsches remain out of reach for the younger crowds.
The following users liked this post:
cweed (08-29-2021)
Old 08-26-2021 | 03:46 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

I work with two (non PCA) groups at Summit Point and driver attendance is up across the board (about 25 days this year at Summit between the two groups, across all three tracks). Instructor attendance varies wildly. We've needed to close registration for instructors a couple times and we have sent the instructors needed email a couple times.

Instructor clinic attendance is through the roof for both groups.
Old 08-26-2021 | 08:39 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Covid has also had a disproportionate affect on PCA since its drivers tend to be older, they are the ones more concerned with contracting Covid, and stayed home in larger numbers. The instructor corps was thrown into disarray as those who would still show up at the track would not necessarily get in a car with a student.

I fear that even as Covid fears abate, car counts will continue their slow decline as Porsches remain out of reach for the younger crowds.
+1

I stayed out for that reason. And still do with the resurgence. I am actually considering quitting instructing. My health and that of the ones I take care of is more important.
Old 08-26-2021 | 10:34 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I think there is a life cycle of how long most people drive on track, instruct, and participate. I've seen the cycle go through and there are always a few stalwarts who have been around forever, but it's the constant change that keeps the groups growing. Taking a year out of that in 2020 certainly slows the incoming and upward mobile drivers. From when I started in 1998, I've seen groups plan back to back days at places like Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, Mont Tremblant. I can remember it was hardcore when someone would do Trackmasters and then a PCA event to get 4 or 5 (!) days in a row at the Glen. Now, I had a student at Watkins Glen for 3 days who left Sunday night to drive to Lime Rock for 2 more days Monday and Tuesday!

I think the number of newer tracks, the constant barrage of "destination" events, and the membership tracks have taken a lot of the experienced drivers away from club events. I know in the race events I attend, participation in a lot of the groups is down, but up in other groups. Even in classes where there are always large numbers, some events are barely getting cars. For me driving, I've been on track way less because I've been working at the track way more. Keeping up with very high demand, working to get product, customers setup and going, and fixing cars has things extra busy.

Overall, I think the new tracks, club memberships, Lemons, WRL, and Champcar have really changed the dynamic in track driving.
Old 08-27-2021 | 01:28 PM
Zhao
Drifting

^ I think I agree with everything you said. I got asked to drive this year (endurance racing) with no strings attached. Just show up and jump in and go which is about the best experience ever to not have to deal with towing, fixing, setup, etc. I said no thx. I’m instructing weekly so I have more track time than I know what to do with right now.

But I’d say also that there are people that enjoy track driving and there are people that live it. Life happens to all too. I haven’t done a full season of road racing in years as that is tough with a little kid, but I pop up now and again. This is the first year of sprint/endurance racing I didn’t pop up other than for instructing. I know when my daughter is older I'll likely come back very hard into road racing. I think a significant portion of people at HPDE's that just enjoy it, but aren’t great at it, hit a wall with their advancement, blame their car, maybe go all nuts with their car trying to compensate, and then give up. People like doing things that they are good at and move on when they realize they’ll never be top tier. I don't see a lot of cycling happening at road racing, but I think to actually commit to all the crap that comes with going road racing, you need to live for track driving.
Matt Romanowski (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021 | 02:39 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Just my 2 cents as I observe 2021 DE
PCA policy sets a major obstacle, your car must be inspected no later than 2 weeks before their event. And by the way, it must be a PCA approved inspection dealer.
That is a big hassle. Other identities permit self-inspection and since they continue to offer that, then there apparently are minimal issues.
So there are two business models: the restrictive and controlled PCA model and the independent-for-profit trust you business model., Pre-COVID, people were tolerate and willing to give some freedom to comply with PCA Orwellian policy but post-COVID, then want some freedom back which is not happening within certain blue States and so an extra $60 registeration fee for a for-profit DE is worth the extra cost for less hassle.
The analogy is the red States' COVID policies are less restrictive than the blue States' COVID policies, BUT the delta variant outcomes are the same.
Bottomline, people are voting with their pocket book and PCA DE might be the loser because they are too risk adverse and taking advice from draconian attorneys.
Old 08-27-2021 | 04:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
PCA policy sets a major obstacle, your car must be inspected no later than 2 weeks before their event. And by the way, it must be a PCA approved inspection dealer.
That is a big hassle. Other identities permit self-inspection and since they continue to offer that, then there apparently are minimal issues.
So there are two business models: the restrictive and controlled PCA model and the independent-for-profit trust you business model., Pre-COVID, people were tolerate and willing to give some freedom to comply with PCA Orwellian policy but post-COVID, then want some freedom back which is not happening within certain blue States and so an extra $60 registeration fee for a for-profit DE is worth the extra cost for less hassle.
The analogy is the red States' COVID policies are less restrictive than the blue States' COVID policies, BUT the delta variant outcomes are the same.
Bottomline, people are voting with their pocket book and PCA DE might be the loser because they are too risk adverse and taking advice from draconian attorneys.
As a PCA DE organizer recently told me directly, "if our customers sign up with other groups instead, we don't want them as customers anyway".

Astounding that people still fail to heed the old idiom that "pride goeth before the fall".
Old 08-27-2021 | 05:23 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
Thanks for sharing your experience. Please note that the policies you outline do NOT reflect all PCA regions, nor PCA minimum standards. Regions are allowed to exceed minimum standards (if they so choose). In the case of Allegheny Region (ARPCA based near Pittsburgh) we required a safety inspection no less than THIRTY days prior to our events. We do not publish a list of “approved” inspection or automotive sites. We let the driver choose where they get their car checked. In the case of instructors approved to instruct at our event, they may “self-tech” (while still completing and submitting the Vehicle Safety Inspection form which is a PCA requirement).

I’ve not heard of the two-week prior rule which understandably could be difficult to meet depending on schedule.

It’s important to note that PCA regions operate independently and while minimum standards are required, we don’t all have the same rules because some choose to exceed minimum standards.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
As a PCA DE organizer recently told me directly, "if our customers sign up with other groups instead, we don't want them as customers anyway".

Astounding that people still fail to heed the old idiom that "pride goeth before the fall".
I’m surprised that any organizer would make that statement. It shows a lack of interest in client preference and frankly, keeping up with the competitive market. Whether PCA (or other organizer) I suspect their future could be limited with that attitude.

In my experience the culture starts at the top (with the organizer and personnel running the event). Positive or negative attitudes tend to be pervasive and as noted above, people vote with their dollars and find alternatives when they aren’t happy with their choice. And we all know there are plenty of alternatives.

The primary reason for my question is to gather intel on trends (if any) and understand why we are seeing changes in our (ARPCA) attendance. We still get highly positive feedback, and we act on negative feedback wherever possible, in the spirit of continuous improvement. We take it seriously, and appreciate when people let us know they’re dissatisfied with some aspect of our event.
The following 2 users liked this post by needmoregarage:
Matt Romanowski (08-27-2021), ProCoach (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021 | 05:28 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

I genuinely appreciate all the replies. It’s very interesting to receive different perspectives. It all makes sense and in sum, explains a lot. I hope more folks will continue to share their experience, insights and theories as to what’s happening in the HPDE world relating to attendance, and the policies that affect how folks make choices.

So far this has been far more than expected, and very worthwhile.

Thank you all! Carry on….
Old 08-27-2021 | 06:36 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

That shows the arrogance and hubris of PCA region culture, I wonder were are they? Maybe they are disciples of 😪 Joe
Old 08-27-2021 | 06:53 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

From Matt Romanowski
"Overall, I think the new tracks, club memberships, Lemons, WRL, and Champcar have really changed the dynamic in track driving."
Yes, for those with the a desire to show up and race as an alternative to owning a car and going DE, it makes good sense. Why. Because you know your costs upfront, no drip, drip, drip even if you are can wrench.

Time is $$$$ and show up and drive maximizes you cost/HR of racing or DE, whether your wrenching or not, and if cash flow becomes an issue, you just sit out a WRL or ChampCar event. You do not have the upfront fixed cost that is earning zero $$$$.

To LuigiVampa point, The last PCA CVR event at Lime Rock had an unscribed white run group such that the club had to modify the event to include the Lime Rock Drivers Club. The next PCA CVR Lime Rock event in September 11th had only 4 sign up so far for the white group (registar send an email out a couple of days ago)
Old 08-27-2021 | 07:30 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

I’d appreciate leaving politics out of this discussion.

Im sure there are some arrogant PCA regions. But not ALL of us fall into that category.
linderpat (09-08-2021)
Old 08-27-2021 | 07:48 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Amongst people I know, I do observe a tendency to move away from PCA towards for-profit organizers, despite PCA often charging less.

Each one of those people seems turned off by some PCA rule or another, or some slow progression in the program/lack of advancement, or often times overcrowding/traffic etc etc. Most people are trying to optimize how much open track time they'll get per each event day, since it costs a decent amount to prep the car, to be there, away from work/family etc. Given those high fixed costs/opportunity cost, it seems like people rather pay more to attend events with fewer attendees, and more space on track, with more lenient rules.

I do try to attend PCA events with some specific regions which I feel run great events, but I have to admit some of these other organizers definitely throw great events as well, and anecdotally speaking traffic does seem to move a bit better away from PCA.
Old 08-27-2021 | 07:55 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Thanks^erko1905. Cool avatar pic!

Quick Reply: HPDE Organizers: 2021 attendance? Up? Down?