Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum seats and FIA

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 10:47 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

I am totally into this head restraint seat thing. I am looking for the best seat IMO. I tried out the Racetech viper seat and its cousin. Interestingly the viper seat has an integrated rear roll bar attachment point and integrated into the head restraint is the passenger side net restraint attachment points! This is one safe seat but it weights a ton. Over 20lbs in a combo of Fibregalss, kevlar, CF. It's cousin lacks the back brace points and the head net restraint and is 6lbs lighter. No lightweight either. The fits are funky. The viper seat is larger than its cousin but the cousin fits my small body better...go figure? There is controversy oer tight 270 degree head restraint VS 130 degree head restraint. The 270 guys want to stop your head with your body period. The 130 degree guys think the head will decel before it hits the barrier due to harness and catch your head to prevent neck lateral over extention. They also think that in the case of the 270 degree restraint the head will take off toward the impact and rotate as the seat yields causing trauma to your neck due to rotation. Interesting I can understand both points. We need some testing.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:24 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Couple of updates...
1, Sliders are not fia approved. The fia approval is for seats that are static mounted. The sliders (mostly made by Keiper Recaro, are Euro passenger car tested.

2. The fia website, which lists fia approved seats, no longer has approval for ANY Corbeau seat. This is retrospective too, so anyone running in an FIA motorsport event will not pass scrutineering with a Corbeau seat. This is unfortunate news for Corbeau, a British company.

FIA link (updated 28.4.2004 http://www.fia.com/resources/documen...oved_seats.pdf

I should add that others have had seats withdrawn. The difference is that ALL Corbeau seats have had their homologation withdrawn.

Quick Reply: Aluminum seats and FIA