Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you use Head & Neck restraint device?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by John Brown
Geo, I think, asked on another thread (that is now much too long) if anyone had actually bought and read the SAE report. Yes, I did. The report evaluated 3 devices. If I understood the report correctly only one of the tested devices accomplished the goal: HANS. And, it was not even close. The Isacc was not one of the systems evaluated.
John, there is a later SAE report (3306 vs. the 3304 that I think you have read) that covers the Isaac device.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:40 PM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm using an Issac.
Bill
Old 04-06-2004, 05:20 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I currently don't use any.

I probably will be using one come September when I can get back out on the track again. I am considering only a HANS or Isaac. Not sure which one yet, but leaning torwards Isaac due to what I preceve as a more gradual deceleration of the head.

I don't like any other devices and I don't feel they provide the same benefit vs cost. Sure the other's are cheaper, but if I am going to spend the money I want to get one that I will be SURE works well.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:58 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Juan,
I have the G Force SRS & used it at the CR @ TWS. It's easy to use once you get the hang of it. You feel the inertia bar across your neck/back when you first cinch up in the seat but you quickly forget it's even there. I took a pretty good hit in the rear during the enduro & it seemed to work very well. No neck pain at all associated with the accident & he pretty much demolished the pass. quarter & bumper of my RSA Luckily, just sheetmetal/plastic. No tub or suspension damage. I'd give the SRS a look.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:22 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey Jay,

Thanks for the info, sorry for the news on the RSA. I already have a GForce helmet and was wondering if the SRS is worth a shot since the helmet already has the mounting points on it.

Thanks again!, Juan
Old 04-07-2004, 08:00 AM
Bill935K3
Racer

I have had a Hans for 3 years and like it.
Beside the fact I had "the big one" at Tremblant last year. Hit sideways on passenger side at about 110. Tub and right side suspension were a total write off. I walked away (VERY SLOWLY) The Hans short web strap on the left side was permanently stretched one half inch and I could not move my 17 ½’ neck for about 10 days. I hate to think what might have happened without it. FYI my new Ultra-Shield seat has head restraints for side impact. The Kirky deluxe sports car seat I had worked very well
Bill C
Old 04-08-2004, 05:03 AM
GeoffD
Instructor

My HANS arrived yesterday and it fits nicely in both cars.

gd
Old 04-08-2004, 09:33 AM
J.PELLEGRINO
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also use a hans,and having seen team mates survive major hits with it and my neurosurgen client recomend it,I would not drive my race car with out it.I do not however agree that their are no bad head restraint devices.
As a former pca national screwt,I have seen it all.JMHO

Quick Reply: Do you use Head & Neck restraint device?