Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 oil drain plug with tap for oil temp sender?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 10:57 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 951 oil drain plug with tap for oil temp sender?

I'm looking to install an oil temperature gauge and wondered if anyone knows of a source of a drain plug and thats been drilled and tapped to receive a temp sensor. Also my feeling is this is the most appropriate spot to measure oil temp since this is the oil that is being pumped ny the pump into the engine - any suggestions.

Thanks,

Skip
Old 04-07-2004, 11:12 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just went through that - VDO does not make a sender that replaces our drain plugs. You can drill your own plug to receive the universal sender, drill your oil pan to do the same or apparently on later engines (yours, not mine) you could replace the oil level sender, which is right above the drain plug, with a temp sender. I decided to abandon the whole thing.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:41 AM
DAR951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search in the 944 Turbo forum on "oil temp sender" for a couple of long threads on the subject. One other well debated location is the large banjo bolt for the turbo oil supply line from the pan.

Bottom line, is that whatever you choose, you'll have to fab it up yourself... no one produces fittings/plugs specifically for fitting temp senders.

PS. For what it's worth, the PO of my 951 went the drain plug route, and it's a pain... can't keep it from leaking. In my view, the best solution is to incorporate a fitting for a sensor into the return line from the remote oil cooler we should probably be running...

Quick Reply: 951 oil drain plug with tap for oil temp sender?