Check Your Headlights!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 05:05 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 495 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
How is this even possible???!!

How isn't this a Porsche recall? So you do a couple of panic stops in your car in the street and they come out? Whaaaa???
Really. As already admitted by one poster he failed to properly lock the headlight after removal. I'll bet most if not all of the headlights have been removed and not properly reinstalled.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:19 PM
dsetter
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was for sure my case. I just had the car wrapped and they didn't lock one of the headlights completely down.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:20 PM
jscott82
Drifting

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

The issue is the cam lock. To be stable it has to be "over centered" by a few degrees. In my case I found a small pebble in the guide track, which I assume did not let the light get fully seated. So when I locked the cam lock, it felt secure, it was centered or slightly over centered, but not enough to keep it from vibrating backwards. So the deign flaw is: there is no way to tell how far over centered the cam is. You can feel it over center, but beyond that you cant tell how far.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:23 PM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by 69911s
You're braking too hard Kenny!
I guess I should blame my first PCA instructor for that... those damn cup car guys... sheesh

Originally Posted by jlanka
Yes twice. Ist time at Palmer. The car had been wrapped so the dealer blamed the installer and I had to pay. $3200. Second time at Lime Rock. The dealer payed for that one. I don't track that car any more since I have 2 track cars now.
How on earth did you get the dealer to pay the 2nd one?

Originally Posted by jscott82
Be thankful there was not more damage. I lost mine in the same place (t1 summit) the light flipped over and smashed the fender leaving a big dent. I count myself lucky as it could of also been the windshield.
I was concerned about that as well - to some extent, I'm happy it just came off and wasn't flapping around still attached to the wire harness.

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Every track Porsche I have ever owned has had a piece of clear tape going from the top of the headlight to the top of the fender for this very reason.
And moving forward, i shall do likewise!!!

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
As I remember the headlights have a tool and a pretty severe cam locking them in place. Are these headlights getting loose or not being properly locked in place after removal?
That's a good question? I want to say user error but the headlights haven't been out for a while. To have wiggled loose is kinda crazy given the locking mechanism... I'm suspicious as well.

Originally Posted by mgordon18
Happened to me once after removing the front bumper of my 991 to fix the 3rd radiator "blank" filler. I put everything back together and also put in new brake pads the same day. Took the car out to bed-in the pads. Blammo. Out came the light, dangling on the highway. It didn't fall off, though, and I was able to replace it in its hole. No harm done. A few scratches on the PPF. Scary, though!
You seriously lucked out that it just popped out. When my came loose, I was concerned about running it over but luckily I was on the brakes.. in the video, you can hear it scraping down the pavement.

EDIT: Upon further inspection, it turned out I didn't lock the light in place properly when I put everything back together. It felt like everything popped properly back with the headlight tool, but alas...
Originally Posted by dsetter
Sent mine into the stratosphere at Road America during practice last year. I was so glad I had clear track behind me and it didn't come down on any other vehicles and the part slid off the racing surface. Now I have some headlight blanks I run.
That's a good idea for a track car - i'm sure it's much cheaper than an OEM headlight housing.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:05 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Re How on earth did you get the dealer to pay the 2nd one?

The dealer installed it. They couldn't say it was improperly installed since they did it.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:27 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

The sad thing is, from an engineering perspective, the way you secure the light from the frunk makes it a perfect candidate for a simple pin. Push a pin through a mated hole in the headlight assembly, if you can outbrake that then your headlight isn’t your primary concern.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:20 PM
mr.t0fu
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
Be thankful there was not more damage. I lost mine in the same place (t1 summit) the light flipped over and smashed the fender leaving a big dent. I count myself lucky as it could of also been the windshield.
Did you lose yours in a cayman or 911?
Old 04-01-2021, 07:06 PM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
The sad thing is, from an engineering perspective, the way you secure the light from the frunk makes it a perfect candidate for a simple pin. Push a pin through a mated hole in the headlight assembly, if you can outbrake that then your headlight isn’t your primary concern.
Damn right Jay! LITERALLY a PIN would have held it in place! Feels like engineering that was too good for itself. Great seeing you btw!
Old 04-01-2021, 10:54 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
They changed it in the 991.2's, the lights are bolted in.

Hopefully I'll be making it out an event this year.
The following users liked this post:
KONG991TT (04-02-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 11:13 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
How is this even possible???!!

How isn't this a Porsche recall? So you do a couple of panic stops in your car in the street and they come out? Whaaaa???
986/996 headlight retention design just wasn't very good. Was easy to get it not quite right, but not realize it until the whole assembly goes flying during hard braking.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:01 AM
jscott82
Drifting

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by mr.t0fu
Did you lose yours in a cayman or 911?
987 Cayman
Old 04-02-2021, 10:35 AM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Todd B
They changed it in the 991.2's, the lights are bolted in.

Hopefully I'll be making it out an event this year.
Mid Summer and P-Fest are right around the corner friend!
Old 04-02-2021, 03:38 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

Sorry this happened to you, Kenny! Beautiful car, though, and glad the ppf on the headlight worked!

Old 04-02-2021, 03:40 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by KONG991TT

Amazingly, the track photographer caught a picture of it.
So sorry that this happened to you but that that is a great photo! Right time at the right place for the photographer...
The following users liked this post:
KONG991TT (04-02-2021)

Quick Reply: Check Your Headlights!