Sponsored by:

Racing game/simulator options for COTA

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 02:53 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Racing game/simulator options for COTA

Ten years ago I used an old version of Forza to learn Laguna Seca and it worked brilliantly.

I’ll be at COTA for the first time in April and would
like to learn the track beforehand. What racing games/simulators include COTA?

As long as the track is represented well it doesn’t have to have all the bells and whistles. In fact I find sometimes the bells and whistles are distracting. I tried one full motion simulator back when I was preparing for MRLS and I couldn’t even get out of the pits because the motion “simulation” did not feel anything like a real car. 😂 I’m sure they’ve improved a lot. But a home based game would probably be better so I can do a daily practice ahead of time.

TIA
Old 02-20-2021, 03:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,149 Likes on 1,827 Posts

iRacing is your friend...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
DHI (02-21-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 05:44 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I thought about that as an option. But I am having difficulty figuring out if it would be good for my purpose — four weeks of practice at one track only.

It’s a little hard to tell how you get access to COTA since it’s not one of the free tracks included initially with a subscription. Is there a requirement that you “earn” it by racing for some period of time in iRacing? Or is it as simple as buying access to the track for an extra fee?

It’s also not clear I’d you race just that one track without having to complete a certain number of races in a season format? One thing I liked about the old version of Forza was you could just pick a track and run it all day long without having to run a season format.

It’s also not clear to me if you can race against AIs at COTA. From the FAQs it doesn’t look like the track is featured in the beta AI version. I’d prefer to be able to run against AIs who “know” the track as opposed to starting as a rookie and racing other rookies who don’t know the track. That adds an extra dimension of chaos not unlike passing inexperienced back markers in a real world race.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,149 Likes on 1,827 Posts

All you need is the subscription for one month, $7.80 on sale now, buy COTA (https://www.iracing.com/tracks/circuit-of-the-americas/) and buy either the RUF or the 718 GT 4CS and run in test mode.

No races. Just practice.

If you want to get the most out of it, hire Elliot Skeer (https://esr17.files.wordpress.com/20...ng-deck-v2.pdf) or Ray Phillips (https://precisiondrivinganalytics.co...raining-1-hour), either are VERY good, and have them host a private session that you join every few days as you progress through learning, then practicing, the track.

They can do lead/follow, analyze your data to tell you what you need to work on and get you FAR ahead of people who haven't done this.

This is one of the best ways to invest in coming up to speed on this track or any other.

For more study material for the sim and in real life, that you can download and review any time on multiple devices, there's Ross Bentley and my painstaking Virtual Track Walk of COTA, available here, second one down: https://speedsecrets.com/virtual-track-walks/
The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
dxrohanx (05-29-2023), mlct (02-21-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 06:30 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

All you need is the subscription for one month, $7.80 on sale now, buy COTA (https://www.iracing.com/tracks/circuit-of-the-americas/) and buy either the RUF or the 718 GT 4CS and run in test mode.

No races. Just practice.

If you want to get the most out of it, hire Elliot Skeer (https://esr17.files.wordpress.com/20...ng-deck-v2.pdf) or Ray Phillips (https://precisiondrivinganalytics.co...raining-1-hour), either are VERY good, and have them host a private session that you join every few days as you progress through learning, then practicing, the track.

They can do lead/follow, analyze your data to tell you what you need to work on and get you FAR ahead of people who haven't done this.

This is one of the best ways to invest in coming up to speed on this track or any other.

For more study material for the sim and in real life, that you can download and review any time on multiple devices, there's Ross Bentley and my painstaking Virtual Track Walk of COTA, available here, second one down: https://speedsecrets.com/virtual-track-walks/
Thank you. That is perfect!
ProCoach (02-20-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 09:24 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

And FYI there is now a dedicated forum for sim racing here
Old 02-21-2021, 11:52 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 118 Posts

A few years ago, I used iRacing to prep for my first trip to COTA and it worked very well. The only downside was I used the GT3 or the Cup (can't remember) and crashed a whole lot. On my first day on track in real life, I was scared to death. I had crashed so many times online that I was just waiting for it happen IRL. But by day 2, I was having fun and on day 3, I was getting pretty close to the PCA record for my car's class. I definitely felt much more prepared for the track due to all of the time I spent on iRacing.

Unfortunately, 22 mins into the 4th session of day 3, one of my bleeder screws came open going into turn 11 at 114mph and I had no brakes. I put it into the barrier sideways at 43mph (according to my data) and I haven't made it back to iRacing or COTA since. Although hopefully, I'll get a chance to give both of them a try again this year.

Last edited by Slakker; 02-21-2021 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:09 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,560 Likes on 820 Posts

This is spot on. I live in Austin and COTA is my home track. I coach here more than at any other track. iRacing will really help you get ramped up regarding track flow, elevation, visuals, and some of the camber nuances of COTA.
ProCoach (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 11:39 AM
jayspillz
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

hit up @Jickel180 hes local and wheels his gt3 around COTA quite well... helped me tremendously my first time @ COTA back in our m3 days!
Jickel180 (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 11:39 AM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by jayspillz
hit up @Jickel180 hes local and wheels his gt3 around COTA quite well... helped me tremendously my first time @ COTA back in our m3 days!

Dang, too kind my friend!

I'm happy to help do a lead/follow next event and share some Aim data (from my .1 w/ OEM Cup 2s or Dunlops) as well, but you can't beat having a real coach in your right seat like Veloce Raptor, Scott Dollahite, Cameron Lawrence, etc.

Honestly Forza would probably be good enough just to get some course memorization embedded into your brain. iRacing can be much better, but really depends on your rig setup...which can take a commitment to procure, setup, tune, etc.

Last edited by Jickel180; 02-24-2021 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:53 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 71 Posts

Forza Motorsport 7 has it.
Porsche-Suchtig (02-25-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 02:59 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
This is spot on. I live in Austin and COTA is my home track. I coach here more than at any other track. iRacing will really help you get ramped up regarding track flow, elevation, visuals, and some of the camber nuances of COTA.
I'm a little south of Austin. I need to hire you one day. I'm comfortable in my Spec Miata...GT3, not so much.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:14 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cds4402
I'm a little south of Austin. I need to hire you one day. I'm comfortable in my Spec Miata...GT3, not so much.
It would be my pleasure
Old 02-24-2021, 03:14 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jickel180
Dang, too kind my friend!

I'm happy to help do a lead/follow next event and share some Aim data (from my .1 w/ OEM Cup 2s or Dunlops) as well, but you can't beat having a real coach in your right seat like Veloce Raptor, Scott Dollahite, Cameron Lawrence, etc.

Honestly Forza would probably be good enough just to get some course memorization embedded into your brain. iRacing can be much better, but really depends on your rig setup...which can take a commitment to procure, setup, tune, etc.
Thank you!
Old 02-24-2021, 05:12 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Slakker
A few years ago, I used iRacing to prep for my first trip to COTA and it worked very well. The only downside was I used the
Unfortunately, 22 mins into the 4th session of day 3, one of my bleeder screws came open going into turn 11 at 114mph and I had no brakes. I put it into the barrier sideways at 43mph (according to my data) and I haven't made it back to iRacing or COTA since. Although hopefully, I'll get a chance to give both of them a try again this year.

Oh ****. Very sorry about that. I know how much that must have hurt.

Quick Reply: Racing game/simulator options for COTA