Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting radical or rather a Radical - SR3 XX - any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 08:19 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 876 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
3. Drive Radical SR3 in Rfactor 2 - pro is that it's the same car, con are that I have no idea how to set up Rfactor for data logging (probably solvable but takes time), if there is any racing there, and online reviews suggest that SR3 model there is not done well and differs from the real car. I also do not know anyone who driver Rfactor and how to get good example data.
This video has all about using AiM RS3 to get your Rfactor 2 data logging into RS3 for analysis. You won't have a problem. The sim would certainly be helpful if there is targeted, deliberate practice.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5LDmzdSuiU&t=250s

Old 02-14-2021, 08:26 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Agreed with Peter; you can run the Radicals, and do OK mid-pack, but they're still a bit handicapped, seems like just a bit heavy and down on aero to be competitive. Good to get your feet wet, but not really the right tool for the job (P1 or P2).

Regarding sim driving prep, I was playing with I think it was the F4 in one of the sims, seemed a pretty decent comparative point vs. my car to work with, just to get in the ballpark...
Old 02-14-2021, 10:40 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,975 Likes on 1,747 Posts

@924RACR, the Blue Marble series for Radicals is quite good, visits all the great tracks (most of them), is part of other established weekends with large turnouts and has really propelled the growth of Radical sales in this country, besides a buildup around motorsports country clubs like Monticello and Spring mountain.

As far as sim training in rFactor with AiM goes, I used Race Studio Analysis to import directly (without any software or applets) rFactor telemetry files using one button in the AiM Race Studio Analysis taskbar. For more than a decade.

Last edited by ProCoach; 02-14-2021 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:19 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Yeah Peter, sorry I was not specific enough in my reply, was replying to your comment about running 'em in SCCA, the BlueMarble series would by far be the place to run 'em. Have played with some doing cross-over in SCCA races to get track time, but not competitively...
Old 02-17-2021, 04:07 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I wonder what the best way to prepare before I can drive the actual car. I have a sim rig that was helpful before, and it's set up with iRacing, but I'm not sure how to best use it for SR3 practice. I'm comfortable with non-ABS, no-nannies cars but have never driven a prototype or another high aero car in real life.

Some thoughts:

1. Drive Radical SR8 in iRacing - not the same car but probably similar and there is some field to race with to make it interesting, plus I have iRacing set up, with data logging, analysis software, and it would be possible to get data and videos to see what I'm doing differently from those who know how to do it.
2. Drive Dallara LMP2 in iRacing - same as above but the car is even more different. On the flip side, the racing is more interesting, so more motivation, and even easier to get data and advice from people at the top of the field.
3. Drive Radical SR3 in Rfactor 2 - pro is that it's the same car, con are that I have no idea how to set up Rfactor for data logging (probably solvable but takes time), if there is any racing there, and online reviews suggest that SR3 model there is not done well and differs from the real car. I also do not know anyone who driver Rfactor and how to get good example data.
4. A combination of the above or something else entirely?

Of course, this is all in addition to reviewing videos and data from SR3 driven at the same track in real life.
I race the Radical extensively in iRacing as IMO it is the best to build transferrable skills to my Stohr P2 car. While it is heavier than my car, the power to weight is extremely comparable, and in my opinion, the dynamics of the car in the game are the closest to what I feel in my car. I think one of the biggest things is that the LMP and most formula cars in iRacing have much longer wheelbases than my Stohr (or the Radical) which make them a lot more forgiving to your inputs while cornering. A stiffly sprung, short wheelbase car with significant aero is about as sensitive to making hamfisted mid corner maneuvers as anything you can drive and that's why the Radical on iRacing is the tool I am using to train myself.

-Mark
The following users liked this post:
MaxLTV (02-17-2021)

Quick Reply: Getting radical or rather a Radical - SR3 XX - any advice?