Sponsored by:

Lime Rock next week!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 07:21 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Adrial,

I've watched you drive at Pocono last October and thought that you made good progress over the year. No doubt the autocross helped with the on-track driving. I, on the other hand, seem to be going backwards!

On mirrors. At DE's, in the lower run groups, passing is limited. E.g., at LRP, green & yellow pass only on main straight and No Name. White is the same plus the short chute before west bend. Even as you progress to the upper groups, there are still deliniated passing zones. So you KNOW when you need to check your mirrors. Rest of the time, concentrate on the course and your driving. Remember to look for the flaggers who may also show you the blue "check your mirror" flag. It's that simple.

As for the comments re: instructors ... hell, even the instructors I know like to go out with other instructors when they can. They can share info and ideas on a different approach to a particular turn. Why not? Like Z says, the dangerous ones are the drivers who figure they know it all.

Richard
'87 Carrera-3.6L widebody
Old 04-05-2004, 07:31 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rich, We had passing zones at all three, main straight, no name straight and back straight, even in green and yellow. Passing in back straight was good because it's the best opportunity to learn to get back on your line on short notice!
Old 04-05-2004, 07:38 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by Dave
Passing in back straight was good because it's the best opportunity to learn to get back on your line on short notice!
Not quite sure what you mean by this.. If I'm passing someone on the back straight, it likely means that I'm taking West Bend off line. Jumping right back in front of someone is not the nicest thing to do (in a DE environment)
Old 04-05-2004, 07:39 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Dave,

Yes, and it's good for taking the turn without being able to get back exactly "on line" (bascially, staying inside); it's slower, but sometimes that's what you have to do after completing the pass there.

Richard
Old 04-05-2004, 07:48 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry Brian, what I meant was picking up the line mid turn. Rich got it!
Yes, it's slower (unless the guy you passed has been overbraking badly the last few laps, and since he was 8-10' off the apex cone it was all I could do to not pass in west bend the previous lap) but in the green run group speed it relative. Technically, with a 2800 lb 160hp car, I was braking only to shift weight to the front end, speed reduction wasn't an issue.

Quick Reply: Lime Rock next week!