Sponsored by:

SCCA Fuel Sample Port

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 10:59 PM
bem944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCCA Fuel Sample Port

I am new to the Porsche scene, just buying a 84 ITS prepped 944 (graduating from an ITC Scirocco). One thing needed on my car is the dreaded SCCA mandated fuel port. I noticed the cap nut on the end of the fuel rail and wondered if just finding a fitting to match the nut and a section of hose would suffice the SCCA Tech folks?

Barry Morton

Old 03-25-2004, 11:09 PM
84-944
Instructor

Good luck!

You may find another cap to modify, but, I doubt you'll find any off the counter thread to work. I'm told the cap and rail have a slightly different thread pitch which ensures the tight leak free fit you get from them.

You'll notice that it's difficult to tighten from the first turn all the way in.

If someone has a better way, please let me know.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:19 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to ITS!

Where are you located?

I'm getting ready to finish my car. I've got two bars left to bend on my cage and then I can start welding it up. As soon as that's done, the drivetrain and suspensin will come out. Hope to be done this summer.

George Roffe
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
Member - SCCA IT Advisory Committee
Old 03-26-2004, 07:23 AM
bem944
Intermediate

Geo-I am in Jacksonville, FL

Anyone have any suggestions/photos of their fuel port?
Old 03-26-2004, 08:47 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by bem944
Geo-I am in Jacksonville, FL
A Broadfoot car.

Originally posted by bem944
Anyone have any suggestions/photos of their fuel port?
I haven't decided yet what to do with mine. I just read in interesting idea on the IT website. I may install a QR fitting between the fuel pump and the tank. This way the connection is not under pressure and it moves the sampling far far away from the engine. It does require that you get 3 components of the QR fitting (2 of one and one of the other). Cost would be considerable compared with other alternatives at around $75, but it would be slick.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:42 AM
JoelG
Advanced

I bought mine from this guy:

http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/sccafue...homepage1.html

Highly recommended. it was about $25 and I had it in about 2 days, but I live in MD and he's in PA.

Joel
Old 03-26-2004, 11:17 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Jiffy-tite Quick Release is the best solution on the market that I've seen/used. Simply install it somewhere in-line that will recieve pressure when your fuel pump is on if you don't have a "port" to attach it to. You'll need one female and two male ends (males are cheaper) if you plan to install it in-line. The extra male end attachs to your sampling hose, which you can make as long as you want for comfort.

Check out the website...they have all sorts of fittings (AN, hose barb, pipe thread):
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/jiftite.htm
Old 03-26-2004, 11:45 AM
Geo
Race Director

Yep, those are the ones I was thinking about.

Why not put it before the fuel pump? Gravity should still provide plenty of pressure for taking a sample and you hugely reduce the riisk of a high pressure leak.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:00 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

You're right...I was thinking the rules required it to be after the pump, but a little internet research seems to indicate they don't.

We installed ours after the pump on the Formula Mazda's because we would use the hose to empty the gas tank before qualifying and the race so that we could put the right amount of fuel in to meet weight.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:26 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Bryan Watts
You're right...I was thinking the rules required it to be after the pump, but a little internet research seems to indicate they don't.

We installed ours after the pump on the Formula Mazda's because we would use the hose to empty the gas tank before qualifying and the race so that we could put the right amount of fuel in to meet weight.
Dang Bryan, that's also a great idea. Now you have me thinking.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:18 PM
bem944
Intermediate

Thanks for the info, I am going to check with the fuelports.com guy. By chance, does anyone know what size is the hose that runs out of the tank to the fuel pump in an 84 944? P.O. has run a piece of 7/16 out of tank into an inline filter, then a piece of orginal braided hose into the pump. I am thinking of buying the barbed fuelports.com product, and splice into the
(new OEM hose) hose between tank and pump. Hopefully this will take care of the awful gas odor happening as well.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:26 AM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just use that cap nut for the sample. So far I have not been asked to use it at a race, but as long as you don't lose the ball inside, fuel will come out when you take that cap nut off. I just carry an open end wrench in the glove compartment. That satisfied my cars "annual" at St Louis yesterday.

Bill Seifert

1983 944 Race Car
1987 944S Race Car under very slow const.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:33 AM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Barry,

By the way, you is going to get blown away in Fla in ITS. Arguably, Nort Northam is one of the most successful 944 guys in Fla, and not arguably, he is a real nice guy, and gives good advice. He owns the Northam Collection in Orlando, actually Winter Garden or something. His phone is 407-647-1911. I do ok in the mid-west, but my best finish in Fla was 15th out of 30 at Sebring last November.

Lotsa luck,

Bill
Old 03-29-2004, 11:14 PM
bem944
Intermediate

Bill:

Thanks, that was the solution (using the factory port) I was looking for. Nothing as safe as splicing your fuel line in a bad spot (behind rear wheels) to put a valve in as I had planned. I suppose SCCA fuel testing is a lot like drug testing at work, you know you may be asked-but chances are.............
Old 03-30-2004, 10:32 AM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Barry,

Are you going to Rennsport II at Daytona, the end of April? Even if you don't enter, you ought to come visit, cause there will be about 50 944 Race Cars there. I don't know where Orange Park is, but it can't be too far to Daytona. Look me up, my car is black with green and yellow graphics, and SEIFERT written on the front of the car.

Bill Seifert

1983 944 Race Car

Quick Reply: SCCA Fuel Sample Port