Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Threshold braking: Can you rely on ABS??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 04:58 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by jayzbird
In retrospect I wish I had spent more time learning the basics in a less capable car than a 911 turbo.
You nailed it !
The following 2 users liked this post by HenryPcar:
dgrobs (01-10-2021), Van914 (01-15-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 05:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,912 Likes on 1,708 Posts

Yep, that right foot can be really, really numb and dumb!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-10-2021, 05:43 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
You nailed it !
So true....
Old 01-10-2021, 07:02 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 791 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
Over the last few years I've driven a lot of race cars with (motorsport) ABS and the cars are always fastest when staying out of the ABS if it activates on more than wheel at the same time and you can feel it in the pedal:

Straight line braking over bumps? You're going to have a hard time making the corner, if you're on the limit.
Straight line braking w/o bumps? It's not as bad as above, but it generates so much heat in the system you generally don't want to drive this way. Also, the more you rely on the ABS the harder it is to come off the brake pedal and have it transfer the weight as you'd expect. Still will slightly increase the length of the braking zone.
Heavy trail braking into a bumpy corner? Very inconsistent and you won't slow the car down much. Point above about coming off the brake pedal multiplied by 8123394x. Avoid when possible.
Heavy trail braking into a smooth corner? Over loads the front tires and car simply won't turn.

Once you activate ABS bleeding off the pedal doesn't necessarily release a proportionate amount of pressure from the brake calipers, which makes control of the weight transfer slower and less predictable.

In my experience there's only 2 places where ABS in a race car shines. In the wet: you still want to avoid feeling it in the pedal for all the reasons above, but it gives you such a larger buffer for keeping the car under control while braking / entering a corner. And, stopping the flat spotting of inside front tires in certain corners where you really want to carry a good amount of brake pressure into the corner but the car is so unloaded on one side that without ABS after a couple laps you'll have a big flat spot.

With the motorsport ABS systems I don't doubt that if you spent a day working on a single corner under a finite set of tire, car and track conditions you could probably get the fully activated ABS to be better than a good driver for that one corner at that moment in time. However, every corner is different and the same corner changes lap by lap as conditions and tires change. The same programming that works for one corner at one time won't work for another corner at another time and that's why the motorsport ABS is good, but not a catch all for making the car go around the track as fast as it possible can. At least not with currently available technology.

Just my 2c anyway... Happy New Years everyone!

-mike
Great post! Hopefully Vaugh and 2bwise post some info from the manufacturer perspective. They have tons of test miles on production systems.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:43 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
There's a very good thread here: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-it-bad-2.html that talks about these issues and despite the very expert input from people who really really know what they are talking about it still gets really murky really fast; and you're asking the right question. It seems clear to me that there exist race cars where the ABS system is far superior to humans but the tricky part is figuring out whether you, the casual HPDEr or not-brand-new race car driver, are driving one of the cars where ABS is universally superior.
Thanks... Somehow I missed that thread in 2019..

Old 01-10-2021, 08:58 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
Say it ain't so.....
Old 01-10-2021, 09:09 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 162 Posts

Unforgiveable.
The following users liked this post:
jscott82 (01-10-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 09:56 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

So, what I think I know now.
ABS can modulate pressure at each wheel.
Since it can manage each wheel, can do things we can't.
When properly programed can out perform us mortals (pros, maybe not so much)

So that leads to the muddy part.
ABS is Activated by sensing wheel slip beyond a certain threshold. I think this part is straight forward. I haven't heard anyone complain that ABS kicked in too early, so it will allow the 7% slip that Peter references.

But once activated, how does it determine how to manage the tire.???
A) sensing real world conditions: IE releasing pressure until the wheel starts rotating again, the reappling pressure until lock is sensed again.

B) running through pre programed maps based on static assumptions (car weight, tire grip, brake COF), etc.

I always assumed "B", and if that is the case it would seem the more we lighten the car and add grip, the less accurate ABS is going to be.

​​

​​
Old 01-10-2021, 09:57 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Unforgiveable.
​​​​​​Ha... I read this forum every day, and really am surprised it missed it.. Its a great thread, all the cool kids were there. 😂
Old 01-11-2021, 11:29 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 276 Likes on 176 Posts

So, what I think I know now.
But once activated, how does it determine how to manage the tire.???
A) sensing real world conditions: IE releasing pressure until the wheel starts rotating again, the reappling pressure until lock is sensed again.

B) running through pre programed maps based on static assumptions (car weight, tire grip, brake COF), etc
​​
Good question - I've always assumed A), but now that I think about it, maybe there is some B) mixed into the algorithm. I'm sure someone here knows with better confidence.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:34 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 276 Likes on 176 Posts

dup
Old 01-14-2021, 07:33 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,935 Likes on 2,254 Posts

I went back and looked at the previous thread, and am glad to find that I still agree with what I said back then.

Quick Reply: Threshold braking: Can you rely on ABS??