Seeking opinions on Formula Mazda

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 01:20 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seeking opinions on Formula Mazda

I'm planning to try arrive-and-drive Formula Mazda, and wanted to know if any Rennlisters have experience with Velocity Motorsports, Elite Autosport, or Rotary Rockets.

Any other FM feedback is also welcome.

TIA!
Old 03-22-2004, 01:24 AM
Geo
Race Director

Send an e-mail or PM to Bryan Watts. He is not a daily reader here, but he does come around once in a while. Bryan has been racing in Formula Mazda and can probably help you. His Rennlist handle is his name, so he should be easy to find.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:48 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anir -

I drove the last two seasons with Velocity. They currently keep my car at their shop (it's for sale ). I would encourage you to give Ken at Velocity a call...tell him I sent ya. They are 100% professional, have a trained M.E. on staff (who has 4+ years of experience racing FM's, including a a Top 5 at the runoffs), an amazing rig/trailer for hospitality and comfort at the track, and many, many other benefits that I don't think you'll get with some of the other arrive-and-drive teams.

The FM's are GREAT cars.

I'll check back here over the next few days to answer any questions you may have.

BTW...you can check out their website at www.velocitymotorsports.com

Last edited by Bryan Watts; 03-22-2004 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:11 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know someone who works for Rotary Rockets from time to time - good organization and series.

Elite - If this is the one out of Chicago, then great organization. Beau really is a class act.

Also Keirn Motorsports usually has an FM or two in their stable. Call Phil Keirn at 260-244-3751
Old 03-22-2004, 07:09 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bryan, why are you selling the car? Different series?
Old 03-22-2004, 07:42 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Mitch - Yes. I'm out of college, working full time, and don't have the $$ to pay a team to take care of the car any longer. I don't have the tools/parts needed to take care of the car myself (setup platform, alignment strings, carb jets, rod ends, etc) as I've always run it with a team.

I'm selling the FM and buying a Spec Miata. I need something that I can simply leave in the trailer, hook up to my truck Friday after work and head to the track with. I learned a great deal about setting up a car in the FM, but I want to spend this season getting as much track time as possible and improving myself as a driver. I REALLY look forward to spending practice sessions and test days working on my driving skills instead of having to spend all of that time dialing in a setup on the car. That's not to say that you can't take an FM to the track with a general setup and have a good time, but the level I was running at (Star Mazda Regional Series) required the right setup to be competitive.

SEAT TIME is the name of the game for me this season in the Spec Miata. If I can get a couple deals to close here at work, my goal is to slide into a GAC or WC TC at least once this year.

I'd recommend the FM to anyone who wants to experience open wheel cars. They are bullet proof and relatively easy to take care of compared to FC, FA, FF, and even most CSR/DSR cars. Despite the time I spent working on setups, driving the FM still went a long way towards improving my driving skills in ways that I might not have picked up if I had been in sedans the last 2 years!
Old 03-23-2004, 01:20 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bryan and Mark,

Just got home from work (16 hour day!), and I appreciate your input. My wife got some info from Rotary Rockets today, and we are waiting to hear from Velocity. They've got an excellent website, and seem very customer oriented.

I did the 3-day Skip racing school, and have been bitten by the open wheel bug. It's just a matter of finding the right venue, and FM may be it. Bryan, I think I should probably focus on renting an FM a couple of times to make sure I like it, but please feel free to e-mail the details of your car to adhir@qx.net if you'd like. I'd also be very curious to know how much track time you got on a typical race weekend through Velocity / SCCA. Rotary Rockets seems pretty generous with over 3 hours of actual track time in a two-race, single day event (3 practice sessions of 20 minutes each, 10" qualifying, 30" race; do that program again after lunch).
Old 03-23-2004, 01:55 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Anir, there are few Atlantic teams looking for funded drivers that I could put you in touch with I could even sell you an Atlantic chassis!

The Swift 014.a bare chassis is $108,870.00. Just add wheels and tires, engine and loom, data aquisition of your choice. Oh, and you also would need dampers....

You could even run the C2 class at our pro events. TV time, the works!!

Looks as though Velocity runs a nice operation!
Old 03-23-2004, 08:20 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris,

If I could (talent, experience, money, time), I surely would.

Better stick to my day job (I might live longer!).
Old 03-24-2004, 12:47 AM
prg
Pro

I have a formula mazda that I bought in December. I've done 4 test and tune days in the car. (My first race in the car is this weekend.) I love the car. It is an absolute blast to drive. These cars are fastest when your sliding them pretty aggressively. The car pulls 1.8 G cornering loads. I'm 11-12 seconds a lap faster around our local 1.8 mile circuit in the FM than in the 996tt.
There is no such thing as an economical race car, but they aren't to bad. New spec tires about $600-$700. Lightly used pro series take offs are $200-$250 a set. Engines are supposed to go 3 seasons between rebuilds.
I think your plan to rent a car first to see if you like it is sound. I thought about a spec racer ford, but a rental convinced me I didn't want one.
Good deals are available on these cars now. The pro series has gone to a new car and the pro teams are all dumping their old cars onto the market. Good cars can be had for $20k. If you want to run with the SCCA, you need to make sure the car you buy has the newest engine seal. The old pro series cars will all have these as it was required on the pro series last year. Some of the local club cars for sale may not have the new seal though.
There are 2 websites that were useful to me re FM's.
http://pub8.ezboard.com/bformulamazdaforum
http://www.starmazda.com/
Old 03-24-2004, 01:08 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally posted by prg
I have a formula mazda that I bought in December. I've done 4 test and tune days in the car. (My first race in the car is this weekend.) I love the car. It is an absolute blast to drive. These cars are fastest when your sliding them pretty aggressively. The car pulls 1.8 G cornering loads. I'm 11-12 seconds a lap faster around our local 1.8 mile circuit in the FM than in the 996tt.
Congrats on the upcoming race. Is this your first SCCA race or first in FM? Where is the race?

I think the FM's run a pretty hard compound for their weight, hence the sliding. The Radical was the same way.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:10 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ANIR, a ***WARNING*** - Sports Racers and FM/FA types are ADDICTING!!

...worse than crack, heroine or women - in that order.

Don't I know. (Okay, so I'm addicted to women)

You'll wonder why you would ever get back in that 3000lb/$50K car of yours again. ...but it's fun every now and then.

Mark, saw your Stohr on the DSR site...INCREDIBLE paint job, nice car, I'm envious of that 760lb ROCKET!!
Old 03-24-2004, 10:07 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Jeff Curtis
ANIR, a ***WARNING*** - Sports Racers and FM/FA types are ADDICTING!!

...worse than crack, heroine or women - in that order.

Don't I know. (Okay, so I'm addicted to women)

You'll wonder why you would ever get back in that 3000lb/$50K car of yours again. ...but it's fun every now and then.

Mark, saw your Stohr on the DSR site...INCREDIBLE paint job, nice car, I'm envious of that 760lb ROCKET!!
Run Anir, Run. Run as fast and as far as you can. Whatever you spent on your TT is nothing compared to what you spend on "Wings 'n Things" ((c) Professor Helmut Tester).

Jeff, Thanks for the comments on the Stohr. I have not even droven it yet - next weekend if all goes according to plan. But the car is MUCH heavier than that. I added a Motec, radio and camera so it is at least 775 lbs. LOL

Don't know if you saw the other photos:
Stohr
Old 03-24-2004, 11:41 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Anir

There is life after open wheel racing.

But nothing in PCA compares to watching formula cars during the start -- one of the advantages of being midpack.

wait, there's a haiku coming on:

Cars dart in the start
shifting a sequential box
a supine eyeful
Old 03-24-2004, 07:26 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

prg,

Thank you for the links, and the information on the engine seal. I was not aware of that. I like the sound of a FM for $20K, and would be much obliged if you'd e-mail me if you come across a good potential car.

Mark,

I'd also love to race CSR or DSR. Stohrs and Radicals look like a ton of fun, and your car is a beauty. However, I'm afraid that my skills may not yet be up to the challenge. Why did you switch from the Radical to a Stohr? Also, could you comment on the expected DSR costs relative to an open wheel class such as FM?

Jeff,

I suspect you and Mark are right about the addiction risks. I'm already trying to convince my wife that I should track the TT again after 6 months without a car and a $49,000 repair job. I must be pretty addicted (and that's just after 3 years of DE's), or I'm as thick-headed as they come.

I'm thinking of signing up for a test day with the FM through Velocity at VIR. You get the FM rental and crew for $2K, and the track rental (South course) is an additional $3K to be split among 3-4 drivers using the track. Seems like a reasonably priced way to get to know the car. I'd love to hook up with any of ya'll that are interested in having the South course as a semi-private playground for a day. Jeff?

Mike,

Your beautiful poetry brought a tear to my eye.

Quick Reply: Seeking opinions on Formula Mazda