Seeking opinions on Formula Mazda

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 10:26 PM
prg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anir, Didn't realize you'd resurrected this thread
You have a PM.
P.S. If you can go 8 x 30 minute sessions in one day in an FM, you're a better man than me.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:00 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patrick,

Thank you for the PM. I really appreciate the detailed info.

I suspect that my body (and mind) will give out before all the available sessions do, especially after a year away from the track. Time to hit the gym!
Old 09-12-2004, 01:54 AM
nman413
Drifting

Hmmm, ESPN Russell sounds fun but spending $40k per year is a little rich for me
Old 10-30-2004, 09:35 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Finally tried one!

The FM testing day with Velocity Motorsports at VIR yesterday was incredible! What an amazing car. I shared a 1999 Club FM with a great guy named Shane who flew in from California to try out FM for the first time. We had only 3-4 cars on the South course the whole day, including John Pew and Gerardo Bonilla testing a 240 hp spec Pro series car that John campaigns in the Star Mazda series shown on Speed.

You've got to love arrive-and-drive. I can't say that I missed wrenching on my car between run sessions. I had the pleasure of working with Victor Seaber the entire day - using his car in which he won the FM East Championship Series in 2002. The instruction was excellent, as was the support from Velocity. I got in six run sessions of 20-35 minutes each, and another shorter 10" session. Fortunately, the weather cooperated except for a brief shower in the middle of the day.

I felt more comfortable with the car than I expected, considering it was my 2nd time in an open wheel car and my 1st using slicks or wings. The Goodyear slicks are very progressive, even during some damp conditions around noon, and the car is very intuitive and forgiving. Really talks to you (maybe because your butt is right on the chassis!).

I was most impressed with how late you can brake into corners. Very cool. My neck (and butt and shoulders and ...) are sore today, but I didn't have any trouble getting through the actual sessions.

I want to thank everyone who helped point me in the right direction with this thread. I plan to do a couple more test days before making a firm decision whether or not to do the series. Bryan, if I decide to purchase a car, I'll get in touch.

Getting buckled in (it's nice to have some help when you've got a Hans). That's Bonilla in the Pro series car in the background. He finished 2nd behind Marco Andretti in the Skip Barber Formula Dodge National Championship this year:

Front straight:

Heading into the Oak Tree complex (11 and 11A):

Ken Erb runs a great outfit:

Last edited by Anir; 10-31-2004 at 02:53 AM.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:48 PM
prg
Pro

Glad to hear you had a good time. Nothing quite like the thrill of a wings n things car (except being surrounded by them going into turn 1!)
Old 11-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Hi Doc

I'd be glad to compare notes with you on running an arrive and drive series.

Did Skippy regional series in '00 and '01.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:22 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 320 Posts

Go get 'em, Anir! I suspect Chris Walrod may be a good contact for you in the future.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:22 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Congrats Anir, and keep us posted on your progress!
Old 11-08-2004, 08:47 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

prg, Mike, Mark, & Macfly -

Thanks, guys! I'm completing my SCCA application for a Novice Permit as we speak. Now, I just need to find a decently warm local for a couple more "get acquainted" days. You West Coast and Deep South guys have it made!
Old 11-08-2004, 08:51 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

You West Coast and Deep South guys have it made!
I know, I'm so happy living here, I have a bunch of track days coming up and it's the prettiest time of year out here now too, I love LA!!!
Old 11-09-2004, 12:04 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Anir
prg, Mike, Mark, & Macfly -

Thanks, guys! I'm completing my SCCA application for a Novice Permit as we speak. Now, I just need to find a decently warm local for a couple more "get acquainted" days. You West Coast and Deep South guys have it made!
Anir, consider Texas. We have an SCCA driver's school coming up in January. I'm not sure of the date, but I will be there (my business partner is getting his license) unless it conflicts with the Houston Marathon. Houston will be my first marathon and it takes precedent. But if it doesn't conflict I'll be there and can give you a hand with anything you need if you come here.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:52 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Congrats Doc! Oh boy... life from now on will never be the same!
Old 11-09-2004, 11:15 PM
prg
Pro

Anir,
If you do decide to do a FM event in Texas, you may want to talk to Tim or Sandy McGrath at Texas Autosport, the FM dealer in Cresson, TX (Fort Worth exurb). They have some rentals available for test days and SCCA Schools. Good people to work with for arrive and drive.
http://www.texasautosports.com/
Welcome to the slippery slope.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:54 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, prg! George, what school are ya'll attending in January?
Old 11-10-2004, 11:18 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Anir
George, what school are ya'll attending in January?
SCCA licensing school. Of course, if you have your PCA or SCCA license, this won't matter. Sorry, I shouldn't assume you don't have one. If you have an SCCA license you're not eligible. If you have your PCA license, you can get your SCCA license from that or you could still take the school. The school is a great way to get a lot of track time for a cheap price.

I don't see the school on the calender yet, but there is traditionally one in January. I'm not sure if it's going to conflict with my first marathon though so I cannot be sure I'll be there.

Quick Reply: Seeking opinions on Formula Mazda