Sponsored by:

MS Surface Laptop Go

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2020 | 05:16 PM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

Default MS Surface Laptop Go

Just unveiled today.... https://venturebeat.com/2020/10/01/m...-go-pro-x-sq2/

Would be nice if suitable in power and connectivity to use as a dedicated track laptop for data/video analysis/storage

can the data boys ( Peter Matt). weigh in on this and recomend the minimal and best config?

Thanks. Frank
Old 10-01-2020 | 05:19 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Curious as I had surface a few years back and it would not support AIM.
Old 10-01-2020 | 06:13 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have a Surface Book 3 and it works great for AiM Race Studio 2 and 3. There is a trick to getting the USB to talk to SCHD sometimes and it doesn't have a huge hard drive for video storage. It's a nice machine though.
Old 10-02-2020 | 10:19 AM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

That's what I use and I love it
Old 10-02-2020 | 10:31 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

There are so many various Surface offerings now, it’s easy to get confused, and with the new ARM/MS processor that does not natively process older language (like AiM) it can be a struggle.

The two MS Surface options that are very good for the track are the Surface Pro 7 for light duty but with some USB issues as Matt pointed out, but the best is the Surface Book 3, which is one of the best choices ever for a track laptop.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-02-2020 | 01:04 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Originally Posted by ProCoach
There are so many various Surface offerings now, it’s easy to get confused, and with the new ARM/MS processor that does not natively process older language (like AiM) it can be a struggle.

The two MS Surface options that are very good for the track are the Surface Pro 7 for light duty but with some USB issues as Matt pointed out, but the best is the Surface Book 3, which is one of the best choices ever for a track laptop.
Is it the Surface Book Pro 3, which size screen, i5 or i7 processor? Refurbished or new?
Old 10-02-2020 | 01:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
Is it the Surface Book Pro 3, which size screen, i5 or i7 processor? Refurbished or new?
While the Surface Book 3 is nice, it's too much money and overkill to run stuff at the track.

I looked hard at the Surface Laptop 3, but it doesn't have an SD card slot, which is a deal breaker for me at the track. I have to have one of those for the SmartyCam.

So, I think the sweet spot is the 13.5" Certified Refurbished Surface Book 2 with a Core i5, 8 GB RAM and a 256 GB SSD drive (only option offered, use external drives for archived old races).

This is the DEAL at $1279, comes with same as new warranty.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/stor...&previewModes=

You could spend $2129 for a Refurbished 13.5" i7 with 16 GB of RAM and a 512 GB drive, but that's overkill, too. My last Surface Book was this spec.

I REALLY like the magnesium case Surface Books. Quality assembly, durable, bright screen, USB-A ports for logger connections, full size SD card slot. Just nice hardware to use while at the track.
Old 10-02-2020 | 06:53 PM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

thanks everyone. great comments.

Quick Reply: MS Surface Laptop Go