Spa - any tips to improve my driving?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 03:25 AM
works_team
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
To the original poster:

All the comments on the driving have been spot on, so I'll comment a little on the line. First, it's hard to believe this is a first track day ever - bravo! Also, these pointers are VERY hard to execute perfectly in practice, so do not feel like it's criticism - more like something to aspire to.
That is fantastic feedback, I am truly grateful. Let me digest this and react in a separate message.

To all of you who said “very nice for a first event” I feel compelled to bring a few clarifications. I did have a run at Spa before with an instructor and a regular Cayman for about 90 minutes about 18 months ago. Then in the span of a few years before that I did a few mini-events such as 5-6 Nurburgring laps in a Cayman and in my Macan (with an instructor) and a half-day private trackday at a smaller circuit in a BMW 1-Series (even with a Diesel engine, very good fun!). So, this was not my first track experience, but the first full-day trackday at Spa with a new car (my GT4 was just past the run in mileage when I arrived at the circuit). The video is taken after I received 3-4 hours of instruction.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:52 AM
works_team
Racer

MaxLTV, I now went through your very detailed turn-by-turn comments. I agree with everything and just wanted to say that it helps a lot (not just me, I am sure!). Thanks again!!
The following users liked this post:
MaxLTV (09-11-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 04:41 AM
works_team
Racer

Originally Posted by breljohn
- Shifting: upshifts are really slow and you fully lift the throttle, you have room to improve there as well
Do you know any good resources to help with that? I must admit that I have had wear and tear in mind and hence tried to change gears in two steps (ie going through the neutral point then in the right gear) at times in order to be gentle with my cherished new car...
Old 09-18-2020, 12:30 PM
9eight7
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by works_team
Do you know any good resources to help with that? I must admit that I have had wear and tear in mind and hence tried to change gears in two steps (ie going through the neutral point then in the right gear) at times in order to be gentle with my cherished new car...
On the new 718 GT4, you don't need to lift off the throttle when upshifting.

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...t4-spyder.html
Old 09-18-2020, 01:52 PM
works_team
Racer

Originally Posted by 9eight7
On the new 718 GT4, you don't need to lift off the throttle when upshifting.

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...t4-spyder.html
It actually does not have the no lift shift feature (the thread title is misleading). I guess I will have to learn to do this on my own then ;-)
Old 09-27-2020, 05:43 AM
works_team
Racer

Hi everyone,

I had promised some follow-up so here it goes.

I attended a 6-8pm « sunset driving » event at Spa-Francorchamps this week and tried to apply all of the advice I could remember (I certainly missed on some!).

It worked well and although it is clear that there is still a lot of room for improvement, I was able to improve my pace by 6-7 seconds a lap (now a shy under 2.50).

I have 2 videos but unfortunately have exceeded Vimeo’s weekly capacity and have only been able to upload one, which was a lap red-flagged as I was approaching Blanchimont (some car was apparently burning on the track ). But the setting sun was nice, so I chose this one over a full lap where the mighty old GoPro had some difficulties with performing at dusk.

Here it is:

Any thoughts?

Next trackday will be next season 😕 but already looking very much forward to it!

Thanks to all for the tips!

Last edited by works_team; 09-27-2020 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:57 PM
works_team
Racer

Here’s the 2nd video. This was my fastest lap, right before they closed the track...

The following users liked this post:
MaxLTV (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 10:10 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 579 Posts

I think this was a really good lap. Very impressive. You took all the opportunities to improve that I saw on the previous video, to the point it's hard to spot anything more without seeing the data log. This is really quick progress.
Old 10-04-2020, 03:35 AM
works_team
Racer

Thanks, I really appreciate your prior advice, it helped a LOT (put me on the right track )! And same for your encouragements!

One other thing I have been told is I could stay longer to the right in the Raidillon rather than cutting all the way across over the big curb on the left - apparently not faster but safer.

Now I need to wait next year to do more and will certainly start with some hours of instruction. Although less important, I will probably ask my Porsche dealer to do some light tuning of the car (rear wing angle and camber) as well but leaving it with stock components.

Quick Reply: Spa - any tips to improve my driving?