Sponsored by:

Time to go - selling my Cayman and trailer

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2020 | 08:44 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Tim the Engineer
All the best, Rick. It was always fun watching your car fly around Tremblant.
Thanks Tim
I sure did love Tremblant and the folks that drove there, as well as the lodging and restaurant workers I met over the years.
Late September track events were especially magical.
The following users liked this post:
dgrobs (07-07-2020)
Old 07-07-2020 | 05:08 PM
mecho
Rennlist Member

Sorry to see you go Rick. You instructed me at Tremblant back in 2016 and were super patient and helpful. Also generously shared your time on the phone when I was evaluating track insurance options in 2017. I too suffer from the "don't really want to leave where I'm at syndrome" but joined Club Motorsports which is about 30 minutes away and really enjoy it. Come over and play for a day before you step off!
Best Regards,

Rob C.
Old 07-07-2020 | 10:28 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mecho
Sorry to see you go Rick. You instructed me at Tremblant back in 2016 and were super patient and helpful. Also generously shared your time on the phone when I was evaluating track insurance options in 2017. I too suffer from the "don't really want to leave where I'm at syndrome" but joined Club Motorsports which is about 30 minutes away and really enjoy it. Come over and play for a day before you step off!
Best Regards,

Rob C.
Hey Rob
Nice to hear from you. I finally got to Tamworth last October to instruct (car was on the wrong side of a downed power line). The track was fun.
Thanks for the nice words - it's gratifying to hear from my former students.
Car is already for sale, but instructing is an option. And that track is a lot closer than Tremblant or the Glen!
Old 07-12-2020 | 03:43 PM
Sionnach
Rennlist Member

Rick,

I've been off Rennlist for a few weeks, got back on today and now see you are leaving the sport. When I met you at C&S at the Glen five or six years ago somehow we got around to how old I was and you said then that you had plenty of time.... Well I'm still going on and enjoy it as much if not more in the old 911 that is following you in your picture. Hope you will continue to instruct and let me know if you get down to VIR again. Also call me if your travels bring you to the NC mountains.
All the best,
Jim C.
Old 07-13-2020 | 01:53 PM
Jeff951NJ
Racer

Hello Rick sorry to hear you are departing use but you are 100% correct with how nice the coast of Maine is. My wife and I make 1-2 trips up ever year because we love it as well. As for the car is it a PDK?
Old 07-14-2020 | 02:10 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Sionnach
Rick,

I've been off Rennlist for a few weeks, got back on today and now see you are leaving the sport. When I met you at C&S at the Glen five or six years ago somehow we got around to how old I was and you said then that you had plenty of time.... Well I'm still going on and enjoy it as much if not more in the old 911 that is following you in your picture. Hope you will continue to instruct and let me know if you get down to VIR again. Also call me if your travels bring you to the NC mountains.
All the best,
Jim C.
Thanks, Jim
My problem happily isn't age, it's the lure of Maine.😀
And thanks for that invite. Right back at you.
Old 07-16-2020 | 09:36 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Withdrawal symptoms setting in - I read about some event and start thinking 'that might be fun' but halfway through that thought it dawns on me - uh, Rick, you're not doing those anymore.
Luckily I have this to keep me occupied.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
matttheboatman (07-16-2020)
Old 07-17-2020 | 01:28 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default It's not that easy Rick...

For example, back in the early 90's I went through a nasty divorce and was broke. I had a nicely prepared 80 SC Weissach Coupe....I couldn't afford the gas to take it around the neighborhood. I felt compelled to sell the car.

Lucky for me, I found wife #2. She helped me get out of debt...we did a cash settlement with wife one....by about 1999, with me Porscheless for 5+ years, still going to the track with a neighbor as his coach, my wife said, in essence, you have been a miserable SOB for the last 5 years. Why don't you just out and get another Porsche car....what a marvelous idea! So I did: I got a 1997 Porsche 993 and kept it for 15+ years, and in the process, it morphed into a track/street car. We did wheel to wheel from 2005 to 2015......fact is Porsche Racing is similar to some disease states such as chickenpox. You beat it once, and then years later it comes back to bite you in the form of Shingles.

The "bug" lingers: Sold the 993, got a 2004 GT3, then moved on to my current ride, a 2015 Cayman GTS.....

Porsche Racing is much more virulent....it comes back much sooner than Shingles. It creeps into your idle time, into your dreams....it simply won't go away. I say it's OK to quite racing should you go blind, or maybe lose both hands...Paul Newman raced well into his 80's.

Don't say you wern't warned!!!!

Old 07-17-2020 | 10:16 AM
jfpell
Rennlist Member

That looks like an Eastern Marine -- super nice Maine coastal center console!
Old 07-17-2020 | 12:31 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jfpell
That looks like an Eastern Marine -- super nice Maine coastal center console!
Thanks - it's a fabulous boat; semi-custom and built right across the bay from us.
A Padebco Offshore 21, actually, but I get the resemblance.
Old 07-17-2020 | 01:59 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

GLWS Rick. Just bought a place in Scarborough. Maybe I'll see you in Rockland for Lobster Fest next year.
Old 07-17-2020 | 03:31 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Best wishes Rick!

Do me a favor and convince Erik L to buy your car and race it in GTB1!
Old 07-17-2020 | 10:30 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by brownan
Best wishes Rick!

Do me a favor and convince Erik L to buy your car and race it in GTB1!
I would love that
And I think he would be really successful
He actually considered it, but between the Cup car and his RS, he figured a 3d car was a bit much😀
Old 07-17-2020 | 10:32 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by sbelles
GLWS Rick. Just bought a place in Scarborough. Maybe I'll see you in Rockland for Lobster Fest next year.
Oh, congrats!
We are in Friendship, another 1:45 up the coast
Lobsters can be delivered to our dock - who needs a lobster festival!
Where is home for you?
Old 07-17-2020 | 10:34 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Martin S.
For example, back in the early 90's I went through a nasty divorce and was broke. I had a nicely prepared 80 SC Weissach Coupe....I couldn't afford the gas to take it around the neighborhood. I felt compelled to sell the car.

Lucky for me, I found wife #2. She helped me get out of debt...we did a cash settlement with wife one....by about 1999, with me Porscheless for 5+ years, still going to the track with a neighbor as his coach, my wife said, in essence, you have been a miserable SOB for the last 5 years. Why don't you just out and get another Porsche car....what a marvelous idea! So I did: I got a 1997 Porsche 993 and kept it for 15+ years, and in the process, it morphed into a track/street car. We did wheel to wheel from 2005 to 2015......fact is Porsche Racing is similar to some disease states such as chickenpox. You beat it once, and then years later it comes back to bite you in the form of Shingles.

The "bug" lingers: Sold the 993, got a 2004 GT3, then moved on to my current ride, a 2015 Cayman GTS.....

Porsche Racing is much more virulent....it comes back much sooner than Shingles. It creeps into your idle time, into your dreams....it simply won't go away. I say it's OK to quite racing should you go blind, or maybe lose both hands...Paul Newman raced well into his 80's.

Don't say you wern't warned!!!!
There's a reason I never raised - too afraid I couldn't control the obsession.
That and my fear that I care more about the car than the podium.

Quick Reply: Time to go - selling my Cayman and trailer