Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Will you get in the right seat under current “Covid-19” conditions
YES
30.70%
NO
69.30%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Instructors: will you get in right seat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 11:58 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,365 Likes on 2,484 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
Wow, I thought there were lots of Karen's already participating on RL?

Now, lets talk about risk of right seat instructing

Is the risk of dying from;

a. Heart attack after driver misses late breaking point at over __________ MPH
or
b. Student does not wear a face covering under his/her/___ full face helmet causing stress and anxiety and heart attack is the result for instructor

Which is more likely?
I was at track yesterday. Drove hard. I felt that I was at more risk from potential exposure to the virus than from my driving. Driving on track looks kind of scary (which is part of why we do it), but the actual fatality risk is very low. The virus doesn't look that scary right now, with 100K dead in the US out of a population of 330 million, but the pandemic is still in an early stage and the chance of dying for those get infected is roughly 1% on average, which isn't that low. Average person who goes to the track probably has lower than the average 1% chance of dying if infected, due to not being very elderly and better than average health, but middle-aged people with even one comorbidity (e.g., hypertension, which is quite common) are still at much higher risk than healthy people under age 40.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:43 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 629 Posts

Does this thread make me look fat?

The way I see it - I was not objecting to opinions different from my own. I'm just trying to stay on topic, and TO ME some of the comments were going in a different direction (as Manifold correctly stated - thanks).

It's always interesting to see how people interpret words, and how we all might see the same statement(s) a bit differently (or a lot differently).
I'll just say that some of what I read had nothing to do with instructing (reference to Nov 4 as one example). I'm not going to belabor the point.
Obviously I hit a nerve. Geez you guys can be SO SENSITIVE! < (yes I'm going for irony because a WOMAN said that!)

I genuinely appreciate all the comments, and the humor.

As for my gender, I don't "hide" it but I also don't go out of my way to mention it. I have transparently offered the "female" point of view on some occasions, but most of these threads are "gender neutral".

Carry on....

Old 05-28-2020, 01:24 PM
Mordeth
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am an instructor with a number of different groups (PCA, NASA, CHIN etc) and am a racer. I am young, fit and healthy, but I do understand that others may not be and I do not want to risk them. After very careful thought, discussions with my wife and full consideration given to all the risks inherent to instructing including the additional potential risk due to the circumstances I have decided that I will still instruct in the right seat (if offered) but will take a number of additional steps to protect myself, my family and my student.

I will use a new or fully sanitized student earpiece/mic every day that will be his/hers for the duration. I will only instruct one student per event. I will only enter the car with my balaclava, helmet and gloves on and ask that all surfaces be sanitized. I will not conduct download meetings in the car. I will be tested before I go to the track to instruct and I will continue to closely monitor my own health for any signs. I will social distance everywhere possible and always wear a mask. I will also take any additional steps necessary to further mitigate the risks to myself and others. Some of these might be overkill, some might be underkill, but this is what I have decided and am comfortable with. This also assumes that we are even allowed.

I will also participate in and do my best to embrace alternative forms of instructing, such as lead-follow, data review and so on. I don't mind the extra wear and tear on my race car, gas, tires etc and gladly offer it up so that I and others can continue to enjoy this great sport which I owe so much to.
The following users liked this post:
dgrobs (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 01:41 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,106 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I think as long as there are rules on place to keep everyone safe the market should decide what happens.

There will be a pool of people who will feel comfortable instructing and a pool of people who feel comfortable being instructed. What that number will be compared to pre-Covid-19 numbers is anyone's guess but I am thinking it will be much less.

That being said, do regions run in-car instructor run groups as well as lead-follow run groups? At the same time or separate? Does that work out?

Intertwined with the safety issue is money. Can we create a financially sounds model which allows people to enjoy themselves in a way that makes sense for these track days to continue. Currently, the three track days I am registered for in the next couple of weeks are all solo drivers only.

Lastly, I think 90% of this conversation is academic. By the time PCA and other groups figure out protocols and insurance most of the season will be over (for those of us in colder regions). My thought is by next year they have some kind of Covid-19 version of tamiflu which means the risk from getting it goes way down. At that point we will be back to normal and the whole discussion about lead/follow goes away.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:56 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 725 Likes on 397 Posts

No, however it has nothing to do with the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
The following users liked this post:
85Gold (05-31-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 12:37 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

I have no issues instructing in a right seat with all reasonable precautions that were discussed. I will have more risk driving to the track in worn NT01s. I will of cause entertain any alternative forms of instructions.There are some technologies for communicating cars to cars.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:03 PM
996_C4S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

"BS Covid 19 scam." I see.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:05 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I think as long as there are rules on place to keep everyone safe the market should decide what happens.

There will be a pool of people who will feel comfortable instructing and a pool of people who feel comfortable being instructed. What that number will be compared to pre-Covid-19 numbers is anyone's guess but I am thinking it will be much less.

That being said, do regions run in-car instructor run groups as well as lead-follow run groups? At the same time or separate? Does that work out?

Intertwined with the safety issue is money. Can we create a financially sounds model which allows people to enjoy themselves in a way that makes sense for these track days to continue. Currently, the three track days I am registered for in the next couple of weeks are all solo drivers only.

Lastly, I think 90% of this conversation is academic. By the time PCA and other groups figure out protocols and insurance most of the season will be over (for those of us in colder regions). My thought is by next year they have some kind of Covid-19 version of tamiflu which means the risk from getting it goes way down. At that point we will be back to normal and the whole discussion about lead/follow goes away.
I hope, as a club, we continue to figure out lead-follow and work out a way to implement it with our regular program. This would help some of those instructors that aren’t comfortable getting into high HP cars with 3-point belts.

Quick Reply: Poll: Instructors: will you get in right seat?