Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Will you get in the right seat under current “Covid-19” conditions
YES
30.70%
NO
69.30%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Instructors: will you get in right seat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 09:56 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
I will respectfully request that the debate about the transmission of Covid-19, and whether or not to accept risk, be discussed elsewhere.

I appreciate the thoughtful comments on both sides of the discussion.

There’s a Covid19 thread to make your point of view known.

I’d like to keep this poll on topic. Cast your vote and feel free to state your reasons. Please don’t try to convince others that your view is right (on either side).

I’ll be starting a new poll asking if Instructors are willing to drive their car in a Lead/Follow format. I hope everyone here will vote on that.

Thanks for the participation! Now back to our regular programming..,
Respectfully, you can't start a thread like this without thinking there will be some discussion about the core topic. Everyone is being respectful.

Lastly, I really can't abide the "I don't want to have to read that sort of stuff" request like this. I realize this isn't the politics and controversy part of RL but if you ask the question you can't be afraid of the answer. If you don't want to read something someone wrote just scroll down a little more. The mods will step in if things get stupid - that's what they are there for.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:21 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 664 Posts

^dgrobs my intention is to welcome everyone’s personal reason for why they voted yes or no.
Some of the posts go beyond stating a reason. They are trying to convince others that their position is correct.
Arguments ensue as a result.

Please vote. Feel free to say how you feel about. Please don’t try to convince others they are wrong and you are right.

There are strong opinions on both sides. I’d like it if this doesn’t turn into yet another debate on the virus and economy and all that goes with it. That’s not the purpose of the poll. It’s to determine how many will get in the right seat and how many won’t. Reasons are welcome. Arguing to convince others they are wrong is not welcome.

I hope I answered your question.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

After much thought, I voted yes, because IMO for what I do, working with one person, sometimes in car and sometimes out, the risk is extremely minimal. And all the moreso when I fully cover my entire body in Nomex with a full face helmet and balaclava.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:56 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,496 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Did my first track today since October of last year. About 25 drivers, open track all day. The driving was fun, who knew that you can record a personal best lap time after 7 months away from the track?

I'd rate the social distancing as 'moderate', lots of people chatting at well under 6' without masks, but people generally respected a 'personal space' of at least 3' and I didn't see people shaking hands. Pretty hard to avoid some proximity when friends want to talk to each other. As we get track events going again, people at high risk will probably need to either not attend the events or be somewhat anti-social to avoid getting too close to people.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:56 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
^dgrobs my intention is to welcome everyone’s personal reason for why they voted yes or no.
Some of the posts go beyond stating a reason. They are trying to convince others that their position is correct.
Arguments ensue as a result.

Please vote. Feel free to say how you feel about. Please don’t try to convince others they are wrong and you are right.

There are strong opinions on both sides. I’d like it if this doesn’t turn into yet another debate on the virus and economy and all that goes with it. That’s not the purpose of the poll. It’s to determine how many will get in the right seat and how many won’t. Reasons are welcome. Arguing to convince others they are wrong is not welcome.

I hope I answered your question.
Are we talking about this thread or another one?

I don't see any fighting, arguing, pushing personal opinions on others, etc. in this thread.

I see people voting and then explaining the reasoning behind their vote.

I see opinions and reasoning behind them. I don;t see any arguing or fighting.

Maybe I missed the fighting and arguing and debating you are talking about.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:46 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Are we talking about this thread or another one?

I don't see any fighting, arguing, pushing personal opinions on others, etc. in this thread.

I see people voting and then explaining the reasoning behind their vote.

I see opinions and reasoning behind them. I don;t see any arguing or fighting.

Maybe I missed the fighting and arguing and debating you are talking about.
I fully capable of doing all these things to prove the point that none of these things are taking place in this thread.

The point of this thread is to talk about the risk of instructing right seat. You can't have that conversation without talking about what you think the risk is.

This seems like the trap my wife lays for me when she asks me my opinion and my opinion is different from the answer she was expecting.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:14 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I fully capable of doing all these things to prove the point that none of these things are taking place in this thread.

The point of this thread is to talk about the risk of instructing right seat. You can't have that conversation without talking about what you think the risk is.

This seems like the trap my wife lays for me when she asks me my opinion and my opinion is different from the answer she was expecting.
I understand what you are saying. I am agreeing with you.

"Does this dress make me look fat?"
Agree, there is NO correct answer.

I am totally agreeing with you here. You vote and you explain the reason you voted that way. I get it.
I just don't see the fighting and arguing that the OP is mentioning, but it's his poll, so his rules I guess.

Sorry if I caused anyone any grief here. Was not my intent.
Thanks needmoregarage for the poll. Very good info, answers, and reasoning in this thread.
Sorry for the hijack if that's indeed what I did.
Carry on..........
Old 05-28-2020, 10:17 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,377 Likes on 836 Posts

You do know the OP in this case is a “she”.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:19 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
I did not.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:21 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
Does it matter?
Old 05-28-2020, 11:05 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,496 Likes on 2,558 Posts

We need more women on RL to help damp down the catfighting that's prevalent among guys.

Seriously though, I believe needmoregarage's comments are motivated by seeing how discussion of the pandemic can turn rather impolite in other areas of RL where political discussion is explicitly permitted.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:14 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 962 Posts

Wow, I thought there were lots of Karen's already participating on RL?

Now, lets talk about risk of right seat instructing

Is the risk of dying from;

a. Heart attack after driver misses late breaking point at over __________ MPH
or
b. Student does not wear a face covering under his/her/___ full face helmet causing stress and anxiety and heart attack is the result for instructor

Which is more likely?
Old 05-28-2020, 11:22 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

Luckily, event organizers aren't listening to 996ae. Nor are 76% of his peers.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:41 AM
CrookedCommie
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
Luckily, event organizers aren't listening to 996ae. Nor are 76% of his peers.
If he's letting students miss brake markers, they shouldn't be letting him instruct either.
The following users liked this post:
mhm993 (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 11:47 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Lol an all too common tactic during a "discussion". I have found it to be a very early and accurate red flag indicator in a relationship

Quick Reply: Poll: Instructors: will you get in right seat?