Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

^^well said^^
Old 05-20-2020, 10:03 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

Self tech, that's just a bad idea. Can't tell you how many cars have come thru my tech inspections that the owners thought were tip top, yet had brake fluid 2+ years old, mis matched worn tires, practically no brake pads, etc, etc...
Old 05-20-2020, 10:04 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Totally agree with the social aspect grobs. I'm going to my first event on June 5/6 HOD at LRP. Not sure how things will shake out in terms of dinners etc. It is unmuffled, and I'll be unveiling the new version of the Cup.
I'm registered for Mid-O with OVR that Friday -Sunday, but that may or may not happen. I don't know yet. Not really crazy about doing the long tow thing just yet.

I may end up joining you at LRP if I don't go to Mid-O.

Are you staying in a hotel or camping or what? Did you book a hotel?
Old 05-20-2020, 10:05 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docwyte
Self tech, that's just a bad idea. Can't tell you how many cars have come thru my tech inspections that the owners thought were tip top, yet had brake fluid 2+ years old, mis matched worn tires, practically no brake pads, etc, etc...
Absolutely going to be a problem if self tech is the new MO. Could lead to some really bad things happening while at speed.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:42 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
I'm registered for Mid-O with OVR that Friday -Sunday, but that may or may not happen. I don't know yet. Not really crazy about doing the long tow thing just yet.

I may end up joining you at LRP if I don't go to Mid-O.

Are you staying in a hotel or camping or what? Did you book a hotel?
Fairfield in Great Barrington
Old 05-20-2020, 11:05 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlanka
Fairfield in Great Barrington
K thanks. I'll text you if I'm going to LRP.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:46 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Absolutely going to be a problem if self tech is the new MO. Could lead to some really bad things happening while at speed.
I run with a lot of groups that self tech and the world hasn’t ended, incidents don’t seem anymore common than the groups that perform track side tech that I attend.

Peter
Old 05-20-2020, 11:49 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

IN my experience running tech - the most issues come up with people who say "I own a shop" - and "I handled the tech." Those are the cars we look at the hardest, and where we always find an issue.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:08 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 177mph
IN my experience running tech - the most issues come up with people who say "I own a shop" - and "I handled the tech." Those are the cars we look at the hardest, and where we always find an issue.
+1
Old 05-20-2020, 01:04 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull_D
Not sure I completely get the significance of it being a company person or not. I guess looking at it, it has been a mix. When working, the person next to me is another employee, but it is difficult to put "rules" in place that protect us like plexi shields and the like. On the way to and from this work, I have had to sit next to/near non employees that are complete strangers. You are correct, I do not go out as if nothing is amiss. As I mentioned, awareness and attention to detail are important. I think those are two things that can be easily practiced in a DE environment. Nope, did not forget about shared comms. Some crew bring their own (myself included), most use the headset in the aircraft. Again, awareness and attention to detail. Some clorox wipes handle many of these chores. Awareness and attention to detail. Two things that a student should be learning anyway. What better way to reinforce the lesson that the threat of death?? The good thing about this is, no one HAS to participate. If the comfort level is not there for you, it is simply a "pass". Our local track was going to open after the governor green lighted the start of the opening process. A local PCA member went on a blistering rant on social media towards the lads that run the track. 100% support his right to choose. 0% support his right to choose for me.
There is a lot of that going on. You are 100% correct - if someone is uncomfortable with something they should just stay home. If someone is at risk, or has someone home at risk, they need to take that into consideration, but they should not be allowed to ruin it for everyone else.

In many regions instructors are allowed to self-tech. I agree that no one who does not have a lot of days under their belt should self-tech.
The following users liked this post:
dgrobs (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 02:06 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

A couple of weeks ago our tech team had a zoom meeting, we came up with Idea of a literal "Drive thru" for tech. At the end of the Registration table there will be a sheet of paper with instructions.. The car will be "track ready" Drive up with mask on, release trunk hood. One person designated to ask question to driver,(Driver does not get out of the car) and two other techs on the opposite end of the car checking pads, tires ect.. Anyone with issues gets sent to the penalty box for further review so others can continue on.. Might have some bugs to work out but I think it might actually get cars through tech faster. As far as "pre-DE" tech some shops are offering free tech due to the current climate.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,306 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Originally Posted by GPA951s
As far as "pre-DE" tech some shops are offering free tech due to the current climate.
If they do, tip the HELL out of them... They're the ones that NEED it...

If they charge, tip 'em anyway. It's really tough right now. For many shops.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

mlct (05-21-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 03:58 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
If they do, tip the HELL out of them... They're the ones that NEED it...
Always treat your mechanic with respect and tip them generously......if you want to stay alive!
mlct (05-21-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 04:49 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
I run with a lot of groups that self tech and the world hasn’t ended, incidents don’t seem anymore common than the groups that perform track side tech that I attend.

Peter
The private groups I drive with in Canada don't even have a tech form; they leave it up to you to make sure your car is track-worthy.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:38 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
The private groups I drive with in Canada don't even have a tech form; they leave it up to you to make sure your car is track-worthy.
Sounds interesting. I'll pass.....

Quick Reply: Solo drivers only for PCA