Sponsored by:

Solo drivers only for PCA

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 06:30 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 491 Likes on 359 Posts
Default Solo drivers only for PCA

Saw an earlier thread that PCA disapproved lead-follow. Assuming no instructors because of social distancing only solo drivers. To drive solo with PCA you have to be in the White run group or above. No Green or Blue. NASA has DE2 solo. What is SCCA and other track groups doing if no instructors are allowed?

In my experience the last four years with PCA Potomac most if not all Green and Blue drivers are solo the last two sessions. Why can't those Green and Blue drivers with sufficient experience, especially at the host location drive solo from day one?

Eliminating the Green and Blue run groups is approximately 50 participants. it seems economics alone would warrant consideration of a modified solo criteria.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:12 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

IMHO, there is no reason they can't do like they always have. with the addition of having some hand sanitizer available, and masks if they are going to brief/de brief. for fox's sake, most everyone has full face helmets on, if not they need a belaclava. I have spent the last three months in most of the hot spots, being with another person for at least a week at a time in a cockpit. use some common sense and all will be well. if someone is higher risk, or concerned, then they should not participate. during this pandemic, some of the idiots that think this is fake need to be a bit smarter and some of the chicken little's need to grow a pair. sorry for the mini rant......
The following users liked this post:
mike1111 (05-19-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 07:14 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

Scca essentially has no instructors. Comp school is corner observation. Pdx and tracknight are fairly instructor optional.

Some of the private groups will lead follow. In another thread, it’s mentioned that some private groups are doing right seat anyway.

I have trouble thinking that regions will promote green and yellow students to solo without The usual protocol, except maybe in a rare case where the student’s skills were already known to be acceptable, perhaps with a checkout instructor driving behind the candidate...if pca insurance allows.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:16 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,377 Likes on 836 Posts

Maybe in your neck of the woods your statement holds true. In other regions you may have 3+ run groups for Solo.

Won't list as colors since no uniform standard

1) 1st timers = instructed -> no go
2) Beginners = some instructed, some solo -> possible
3) Intermediate
4) Advanced
5) Instructor
Old 05-18-2020, 07:38 PM
Wmeckley
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull_D
IMHO, there is no reason they can't do like they always have. with the addition of having some hand sanitizer available, and masks if they are going to brief/de brief. for fox's sake, most everyone has full face helmets on, if not they need a belaclava. I have spent the last three months in most of the hot spots, being with another person for at least a week at a time in a cockpit. use some common sense and all will be well. if someone is higher risk, or concerned, then they should not participate. during this pandemic, some of the idiots that think this is fake need to be a bit smarter and some of the chicken little's need to grow a pair. sorry for the mini rant......
Bravo. As an instructor I would rather be in the passenger seat than have some beginner driving up my tail.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wmeckley:
DHI (05-24-2020), mike1111 (05-19-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 07:46 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,377 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull_D
Rant On!

BS

Assuming by your statement that this other person is a company person as well. In that case the company most likely has rules in play for this which gives some assurance. I'm also certain that you just simply didn't go out and mingle like nothing is amiss.
If you go and do this in a DE you have no assurance of that other person. You also seem to be forgetting about shared communication equipment. Or do you expect that instructors don't share, clean every time, etc, etc, etc.
I'm glad your pair is big enough to handle all eventualities.

Rant Over!
Old 05-18-2020, 08:37 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by Wmeckley
Bravo. As an instructor I would rather be in the passenger seat than have some beginner driving up my tail.
Agreed

At PSDS the lead follow is at a milder pace, one way radios.
They have this tailored instructor on the more advanced course that follows you yapping on the radio (reversed lead follow I guess). It was the only time in my short driving experience that I felt very distracted and uncomfortable on a race track. Also the only time I saw someone going out of the track. It sucks.

The instructor needs to be in the car to pace its voice accordingly, hopefully not needing to scream. Either that or a professional school with multiple instructors on corners.

It seems that one will need to pay to learn to drive properly. Either pay a school or a coach. If it should always been like this, is a matter of opinion.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:38 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
Scca essentially has no instructors. Comp school is corner observation. Pdx and tracknight are fairly instructor optional.

Some of the private groups will lead follow. In another thread, it’s mentioned that some private groups are doing right seat anyway.

I have trouble thinking that regions will promote green and yellow students to solo without The usual protocol, except maybe in a rare case where the student’s skills were already known to be acceptable, perhaps with a checkout instructor driving behind the candidate...if pca insurance allows.
That's generally true(Especially for TNIA) but not necessarily true for all the HPDE programs SCCA runs; the Washington D.C. region has a robust HPDE program with right seat instructed novices.

Sincerely, the WDCR SCCA Novice Classroom Instructor
ProCoach (05-18-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 09:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Suncoast is going forward at Sebring this weekend.

From one of their organizers/participants:

"Our group Suncoast PCA is holding our first DE at Sebring this weekend.

While we will be heavy on the D we will be light on the E. There will only be Instructors and Solos. PCA national and NASCAR (the owners of the track) are putting in place very very strict protocols. Social distancing, no students or passengers, no "spectators" i.e.; family or friends.

There will be no contact at all. Pre-printed and filled out all waivers, self tech etc. There will be no classrooms, even "Black Flag" "Penalty box" will be done with a white board for communication no leaning in the car.

We will have zero tolerance for any rule infractions. As an added bonus we will have tons of seat time. We'll see how it goes."

Let's get going!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-19-2020, 09:56 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
That's generally true(Especially for TNIA) but not necessarily true for all the HPDE programs SCCA runs; the Washington D.C. region has a robust HPDE program with right seat instructed novices.

Sincerely, the WDCR SCCA Novice Classroom Instructor
I’m aware!.., I’ve met a number of wdcr instructors at summit pt.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:49 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,209 Posts

So if it's solo advanced only for this season with PCA, so be it. Driving is driving I guess.

What I've been missing most this non-season are my track friends and the social aspects of the DE's and races.

Hanging out drinking and smoking cigars in the paddock when the track went cold, sitting around a campfire or a bar with everyone. Smoking and drinking.

Dinners out with my friends that I really only see at track events. I miss that a lot.

Shots of tequila at The Seneca with my Niagara buddies.

I actually think I miss my track friends more than I miss the driving. WTF is wrong with me?!?!?!?

Don't get me wrong, I really miss driving Watkins Glen and VIR and LCMT and Mid-O, etc., but it's the social aspect, or lack thereof, that really has me sadder than anything else.

Guess I'm kinda dopey that way, but the social aspects of any DE are what completes the event for me.

This blows!! (and not the kind you do before you throw the hooker on the bed)...

Trackprincess (05-28-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 07:49 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
So if it's solo advanced only for this season with PCA, so be it. Driving is driving I guess.

What I've been missing most this non-season are my track friends and the social aspects of the DE's and races.

Hanging out drinking and smoking cigars in the paddock when the track went cold, sitting around a campfire or a bar with everyone. Smoking and drinking.

Dinners out with my friends that I really only see at track events. I miss that a lot.

Shots of tequila at The Seneca with my Niagara buddies.

I actually think I miss my track friends more than I miss the driving. WTF is wrong with me?!?!?!?

Don't get me wrong, I really miss driving Watkins Glen and VIR and LCMT and Mid-O, etc., but it's the social aspect, or lack thereof, that really has me sadder than anything else.

Guess I'm kinda dopey that way, but the social aspects of any DE are what completes the event for me.

This blows!! (and not the kind you do before you throw the hooker on the bed)...

+++1 ! I am of the same mind... However, when I get bummed I think about how difficult it must be for the "support" people, the ones who make their money off of these events... Take our Favorite bartender at the Seneca lodge for example... Not only is she missing out on tips, but she also has her own business cutting hair.. that's Dutch door action... She is getting screwed on both sides.. (OK I know what you're thinking) LOL … But with that being said, suddenly its not so bad for us...and events ARE slowly resuming..
Old 05-20-2020, 08:21 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Totally agree with the social aspect grobs. I'm going to my first event on June 5/6 HOD at LRP. Not sure how things will shake out in terms of dinners etc. It is unmuffled, and I'll be unveiling the new version of the Cup.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:09 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
Why can't those Green and Blue drivers with sufficient experience, especially at the host location drive solo from day one?

As far as i'm concerned Green going Solo = Lazy/Bad Instructor, Blue Solo (Yellow Solo in some PCA regions) run without an Instructor but usually should have one. "Green" and "sufficient experience" don't belong in the same sentence.
MattUF (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 09:35 AM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Rant On!

BS

Assuming by your statement that this other person is a company person as well. In that case the company most likely has rules in play for this which gives some assurance. I'm also certain that you just simply didn't go out and mingle like nothing is amiss.
If you go and do this in a DE you have no assurance of that other person. You also seem to be forgetting about shared communication equipment. Or do you expect that instructors don't share, clean every time, etc, etc, etc.
I'm glad your pair is big enough to handle all eventualities.

Rant Over!
Not sure I completely get the significance of it being a company person or not. I guess looking at it, it has been a mix. When working, the person next to me is another employee, but it is difficult to put "rules" in place that protect us like plexi shields and the like. On the way to and from this work, I have had to sit next to/near non employees that are complete strangers. You are correct, I do not go out as if nothing is amiss. As I mentioned, awareness and attention to detail are important. I think those are two things that can be easily practiced in a DE environment. Nope, did not forget about shared comms. Some crew bring their own (myself included), most use the headset in the aircraft. Again, awareness and attention to detail. Some clorox wipes handle many of these chores. Awareness and attention to detail. Two things that a student should be learning anyway. What better way to reinforce the lesson that the threat of death?? The good thing about this is, no one HAS to participate. If the comfort level is not there for you, it is simply a "pass". Our local track was going to open after the governor green lighted the start of the opening process. A local PCA member went on a blistering rant on social media towards the lads that run the track. 100% support his right to choose. 0% support his right to choose for me.
The following 4 users liked this post by Bull_D:
basil2000 (05-20-2020), LuigiVampa (05-20-2020), ProCoach (05-20-2020), TXE36 (05-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Solo drivers only for PCA