Sponsored by:

New Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by mitch236
Blood type......hummmm. I know this was required at some time but why folks still do it is beyond me. If you need blood emergently you will get O- no matter what is on your helmet, suit or even tattooed on your forehead, and if it is non-emergent your blood will be type and crossmatched with the donor blood before you get transfused.
Mitch: good points. And IIRC, it's not too hard to run a simple test to determine blood type at a hospital! (We did it in my Genetics class in college years ago...)

That said, the more information a medic has the better. For example, I'm a diabetic, and this is also stated on my helmet. It helps to know that in an emergency sitaution. Medics would also want to know stuff like pace-makers, other conditions (epilepsy, high blood pressure, hypoglycemia, hemophilia, known allergies to medicines...etc). It's really not a bad idea to have this information on the helmet.

Of course, people keep telling me I should put "SLOW DRIVER" on my helmet!

- Z.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:57 PM
Al P.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's "VERY SLOW DRIVER"

Sorry Z couldn't resist

As stated by DJF1 it is required to be on the helmet by PCA Club Racing. Interestingly medical conditions such as diabetes etc. are not
Old 03-09-2004, 01:17 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Blood type is required by NASA also.
One of the funniest sights was a guy in a nice track-prepped 914 who had his blood type in 2" high capitals on the back of his helmet.

Coming up on this car on track, the sign on the back of the drivers head clearly stated:

A POS

ROTFL
Old 03-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Al P.
Pro

took a second ROTFL
Old 03-09-2004, 01:47 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by Al P.
As stated by DJF1 it is required to be on the helmet by PCA Club Racing. Interestingly medical conditions such as diabetes etc. are not
Funny how that is: isn't it more important for the medics to know of such condition?

BTW: NNJR DE now has a requirement to have name and blood type on the helmet. While not strictly enforced, it will be checked more and more.

And for instructors: people suffering from dyslexia should have that also indicated on their helmets! Turn right! NO: THE OTHER RIGHT!

Thanks for the comments, Al. One of these days....

-Z-man.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:08 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

You guys bring up a great point. It is much more important to know medical information than blood type. Meds, allergies and significant medical conditions should all included as well as name and physician contact info. It wouldn't be hard to do (sounds like allot of info) and would help a great deal.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:24 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally posted by mitch236
Meds, allergies and significant medical conditions should all included as well as name and physician contact info.
I fill all that out every time I sign up for a race with ANY sanctioning body.

It wouldn't be hard to do (sounds like allot of info) and would help a great deal.
According to medics I've talked to, they don't even look at the information on the helmet because it could be wrong. What if you lent your helmet to a buddy so he could try out your HANS device? What if that buddy had a blood type different from yours? There would be some serious legal ramifications for a Medic who goes by the blood type or any other info listed on a helmet and ends up hurting someone because of it.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:55 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Bryan Watts
According to medics I've talked to, they don't even look at the information on the helmet because it could be wrong. What if you lent your helmet to a buddy so he could try out your HANS device? What if that buddy had a blood type different from yours? There would be some serious legal ramifications for a Medic who goes by the blood type or any other info listed on a helmet and ends up hurting someone because of it.
Interesting discussion.

The wife of one of my best friends is an ER doctor. I'll have to ask her about this subject and get her take.

BTW Bryan, this friend of mine lives in Greensboro (he works at Roehrig Engineering, the shock dyno company, in High Point). I may be visiting him sometime this year. If so, we'll have to figure out a way to meet up and have a few beers.

Quick Reply: New Helmet