Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HANS install question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2020 | 12:40 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gobble
I'm not sure I really buy into the 5 year rule for a helmet that's used 4 times a year. Maybe for a motorcycle that you're sweating in all summer, but for the occasional track day? I haven't seen any good evidence that a helmet just expires in 5 years. If that was the case they would have production and expiration dates stamped on them. Even my Ducati dealer told me that's a helmet salesman's trick, again assuming light use.
Wait.., you bought a Radical SR3, a dedicated race car, to use as an "occasional" DE trackday car, but object to a proper helmet?

I understand wanting to make the helmet last longer than 5-yrs, I take care of my stuff and try to make them last. If you're lucky and/or don't drive much you may get 10-yrs out of a helmet. Don't listen to your Ducati dealer, he apparently doesn't know jack about Auto Racing helmets. It is not a "salesman's trick" it's the sanctioning bodies (SNELL or FiA) that has applied a life end date on the helmet. And, it's the event presenter (SCCA, PCA, etc) and/or track that determine to follow the SNELL/FiA guidelines. By the way, your harnesses are also life dated, depending on if they are SNELL or FiA rated, they will be good for 2-5 years, regardless if they look brand new.

Last edited by CCA; 04-29-2020 at 10:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
voodoochile76 (05-04-2023)
Old 04-29-2020 | 05:04 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

What I've been told is that SA helmets are designed and tested for multiple impacts inside of a car (e.g. rolling) whereas M helmets are designed and tested for single impacts. Don't know for sure whether that's an absolute truth, but that's what I've heard.

My local/home PCA will allow M helmets for beginners but not as you progress higher up the ranks. Hey, I started with an M helmet (had a couple from motorcycles) but didn't persist with it as the above is what was explained to me by racetrack people. I also don't know whether or not an M helmet shell is thick or strong enough in the drilling areas. Hell, the cheapest Zamp SA helmet can be had for less than $200 IIRC. Don't let the cheap(er) cost fool you - the history of how Zamp came about should tell you they know how to make good helmets.

In any case, if you are wondering about drilling there's a wonderful youtube video from OG Racing (or TPC??) showing you exactly what to do. Pretty easy and that's what I did with my own helmet (SA). Whatever you do, good luck.
Old 04-29-2020 | 08:21 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default arai vs bell fitment

I was asking whether the tethers can be properly drilled into any helmet regardless of whether it came predrilled. I know in the early days of HANS people were getting their helmets drilled and posts attached. I don't know who was doing that work though or how difficult it was. I'm normally a DIY guy, but want to be careful with this.

I wasn't asking for an M vs. SA discussion or whether I'm a terrible person for using an M2015 helmet in a car. Forums always seem to bring out the best in people though...

I do plan to buy a Bell GTX.3, but unless someone gives me an incredible discount I'm not buying a SA2015 in 2020. But again that wasn't my question.
word of caution on Bell (great brand/helmets btw) if you love the fit of Arai, Bell tends to fit different shaped heads. Most helmet retailers will let you exchange within a reasonable time period as long as the helmet is new/unused.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 04-29-2020 | 09:41 AM
David993S
Drifting

Interesting that someone would buy a Radical SR3 and is trying to save a few dollars by not buying a proper helmet. The cost of a new SA helmet is nothing compared to the cost of running an SR3.
Your head, your wallet.
Old 04-29-2020 | 12:36 PM
brewerbry
Rennlist Member

I agree with all of the responses questioning the logic of owning a RACE CAR and cutting corners on safety to save a few bucks. You can get an entire certified HANS setup (Helmet and device) for $600! Look at the stand 21 restraint for $385 https://www.stand21.com/products.r-2...s-3.f-374.html
and a Racequip HANS compatible helmet for $175 https://www.jegs.com/p/RaceQuip/Race...80020/10002/-1

Does not seem like a smart decision to drill a non-HANS helmet when you can purchase a new helmet designed for HANS and automotive use for under $200.
Old 04-29-2020 | 01:51 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

LOL... no good question goes unpunished! Nice to see Rennlist hasn't changed!

gobble - the point everyone is trying to make is - use the right tool for the job. You are asking a track use question to a track group of people. As a helmet dealer, I can tell you a lot about SA helmets, but I will profess ignorance to M helmets other than they are not tested the same for impact as M helmets, especially frontal impact, M helmets normally have larger eye ports than SA, and SA are fire resistant inner material, M are not (not likely to get caught in a fire on a motorcycle). As such, I do not (maybe someone on here does) know for a fact if the material and structure at the point of drilling for a HANS anchor will support the stress created on the helmet in the case of doing its job on an impact. For that I would have to ask the manufacturer.

I can tell you I would not drill it for you, and I assume most other dealers will not.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 04-29-2020 | 02:59 PM
gobble
Racer

Arai told me the shell layering where the posts go is different in the M helmets than the SA helmets, so question answered. They were even able to answer the question without giving me their opinion of whether or not I should be asking the question.

I do have a Bell SA helmet, but it's past the date code. This was proposed as a 1 year (or less) thing to take me to the point I can buy a SA2020. I'd feel much more comfortable in my Arai than a piece of crap Racequip. I know any SA2015 helmet I buy today was not manufactured last week, so the 5 year rule of thumb has some wiggle room for a helmet that sees infrequent use. No doubt I'll be able to use a SA2020 five years longer than a SA2015.
Old 04-29-2020 | 03:09 PM
winders
Race Car

I am still trying to figure out why you asked the question in the first place as you have dismissed any and all advice and opinions. I guess you were expecting validation.....
Old 04-29-2020 | 03:09 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I know any SA2015 helmet I buy today was not manufactured last week, so the 5 year rule of thumb has some wiggle room for a helmet that sees infrequent use. No doubt I'll be able to use a SA2020 five years longer than a SA2015.
Not last week but most likely in the past 6 months. The Snell Rating is a testing rating and manufacturing requirement spec that renews and gets updated every 5 years. Manufacturers build to that spec throughout the 5 year cycle. For some manufacturers they stopped manufacturing 2015 rated helmets early this year - if people need helmets they need helmets and there needs to be a supply. By Snell rule, manufacturers CAN NOT offer 2020 helmets for sale until October 1, 2020. And again, since the entire world is on lockdown, I'm quite sure there will be a delay or limited supply with some manufacturers at the end of 2020.

https://naroescapemotorsports.com/sn...lmet-timeline/
Old 04-29-2020 | 05:08 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Looks like you have gotten some answers... and some perspective.

Back in the day, folks like me installed their own anchors all the time. I'd guess that for the device you intend to use, there are likely instructions around to do just that. And I think I saw one response here that suggests that for one or more types of devices, user-installed anchors may still be available.

There is a lot of collective experience with how long it typically takes manufacturers to ramp up availability of products meeting new Snell specs. It can take a while for them to ramp up and for the supply chain to get filled.

Since I have been in this hobby for 30 years, I can describe that much experience-- several different cycles. I have in the past bought NOS stock of the last Snell SA rating a year or more into a new rating's release due to delays in widespread availability. I did this to race in the Porsche Rennsport Reunion IV for example.

Got some great savings, and the helmet lasted long enough, and was acceptable long enough for it to all work out in my favor.

During my last go 'round, availability was a mess and I had to shop around. I ended up with a fantastic helmet at a great price, and the service was a 20 out of 10, especially given that I am over 3k miles from the company that sold me the helmet. Please feel free to ping me and I can share details. That company and salesperson took great care of both my wife and I.

The helmet I bought has an FIA rating (Bell M8 carbon) -- I chose it intentionally for longevity.

Again, please feel free to send me a PM.

Good luck and enjoy your Radical.
Old 04-29-2020 | 06:35 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Gobble:
If the Bell you have is an SA2010, it's good for the rest of this year. Since the SA2020 helmets cannot start shipping until October 1st, most clubs will extend use of the SA2010 helmets into 2021 to give the manufacturers time to get and adequate supply in the hands of the distributors. If you pull back lower padding from up near the crown inside the helmet, you'll be able to see the metallic orange SA label. If it's an SA2010, you are good to go with that one if you want to wait and purchase an SA2020 when available.

^^Hi Mike, hope you are doing well!
Old 04-29-2020 | 08:22 PM
gobble
Racer

Thanks for the last couple helpful responses. You proved that polite answers to a question are possible and appreciated.

Unfortunately my Bell helmet is SA2005. I was really into this back in the day when I had Porsches, but got into Ferraris in 2010 and thought they were just too nice to take to the track. I bought my son a JCW Mini last summer and did a day at Blackhawk and 2 days at Road America and was hooked again. Thus, the Radical purchase last month.

I would consider an SA2015 if the price were right, but the best I'm seeing right now is 10% off MSRP. By comparison, my M2015 Arai helmet is currently selling for 48% off at AMS Ducati. It's not about the money but more about making a smart purchase. I'm trying to do this right. Thus, the Schroth SHR Flex, bead seat install, safety inspection and 2 day school with the guys at Team Stradale, helmet questions, etc.

The new toy after the graphics are installed on Friday -

Old 04-29-2020 | 08:31 PM
winders
Race Car

I'm trying to do this right.
If you really are trying to do this right, then you should buy an SA2015 helmet. It's really that simple.
Old 04-29-2020 | 09:16 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

FYI, we have Roux 2015 Composite helmets, regularly $899, on sale for $599
And the Roux Basic (no comms, cooling or drink tube..just a helmet) regularly $399 for $319.
Old 04-29-2020 | 09:27 PM
gobble
Racer

Thanks, but do you have any great deals on something not made in China?

Quick Reply: HANS install question