Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HANS install question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2020 | 10:11 PM
gobble
Racer

Default HANS install question

I purchased a Radical SR3 and know I'm stupid to track the thing without a HANS. I've never used one in Porsche club days with street cars.

Is there any reason I can't drill a Arai Vector 2 helmet that isn't pre-drilled for the posts? It's a Ducati Snell rated helmet I purchased last year that's a great match to the car. Is there someone people would recommend for a professional install.
Old 04-28-2020 | 10:26 PM
winders
Race Car

You can probably add HANS device mounts to the Arai Vector 2 helmet but no sanctioning body is going to let you use an "M" rated helmet on the track in a car. You need an SA rated helmet for that. If you were smart, you would get a new SA2015 rated helmet.
The following users liked this post:
Hella-Buggin' (04-30-2020)
Old 04-28-2020 | 10:27 PM
gobble
Racer

I'm only planning to do DE events at this point. PCA and BMWCCA allow it. My understanding is the fire rating is the only difference between M and SA.
Old 04-28-2020 | 10:31 PM
winders
Race Car

No, there are other differences. But you do what you want.........
Old 04-28-2020 | 10:33 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

You are trying to save money by drilling a motorcycle helmet for HANS anchors? What could possibly go wrong?
The following users liked this post:
Tim the Engineer (05-07-2020)
Old 04-28-2020 | 10:37 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I’m surprised anyone allows an M rated helmet on track in a car. None of the PCA regions in the Southeast do (Norhteast either AFAIK). And your comment about fire rating is EXACTLY why you should use an SA helmet instead of M...not to mention they are tested and built completely differently for different types of impacts.

Regardless, to install HANS anchors you need to drill and install backing plates. I believe we still have a few (early 2010 helmets were not pre-drilled).

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 04-28-2020 | 10:38 PM
gobble
Racer

Yes, an $800 helmet made by one of the best manufacturers out there that will survive a violent motorcycle crash. I wanted the best when riding my bike, along with all the other safety gear that goes with it. I guess you guys don't know how to read a question.
Old 04-28-2020 | 10:41 PM
gobble
Racer

And Schroth includes the backing plates with the HANS device. I have them just want to make sure it's done correctly.
Old 04-28-2020 | 10:43 PM
gobble
Racer

Would you guys buy a new helmet right now with the 2020's coming out in a few months? That makes no sense.
Old 04-28-2020 | 10:48 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gobble
Would you guys buy a new helmet right now with the 2020's coming out in a few months? That makes no sense.
We’ve sold a lot this year. Many people wear them out in 5 years or so....

2020 helmets won’t be available until the end of the year at best. Many of the manufacturers are having production issues with this worldwide shutdown thing...
Old 04-28-2020 | 10:49 PM
winders
Race Car

Yes, an $800 helmet made by one of the best manufacturers out there that will survive a violent motorcycle crash. I wanted the best when riding my bike, along with all the other safety gear that goes with it. I guess you guys don't know how to read a question.
I use to race motorcycles and was quite fast. I used the best helmets from Arai and Suomy helmets. Nothing survives a violent motorcycle crash. I know because I have seen multiple people die on the race track. The helmet will protect from light pavement impacts. But you think what you want here...

I would not use one of my motorcycle helmets in a car unless I were autocrossing. For anything on the big track I would get the latest SA rated helmet with HANS anchors built-in. Fire protection is a big deal. Also, the helmets are designed to mitigate head damage in different types of impacts. What happens in car wreck is differentiations than what happens in bike wrecks.

If you knew all the answers, why did you ask the questions?
Old 04-28-2020 | 10:57 PM
gobble
Racer

I was asking whether the tethers can be properly drilled into any helmet regardless of whether it came predrilled. I know in the early days of HANS people were getting their helmets drilled and posts attached. I don't know who was doing that work though or how difficult it was. I'm normally a DIY guy, but want to be careful with this.

I wasn't asking for an M vs. SA discussion or whether I'm a terrible person for using an M2015 helmet in a car. Forums always seem to bring out the best in people though...

I do plan to buy a Bell GTX.3, but unless someone gives me an incredible discount I'm not buying a SA2015 in 2020. But again that wasn't my question.
Old 04-28-2020 | 11:08 PM
winders
Race Car

I was asking whether the tethers can be properly drilled into any helmet regardless of whether it came predrilled. I know in the early days of HANS people were getting their helmets drilled and posts attached. I don't know who was doing that work though or how difficult it was. I'm normally a DIY guy, but want to be careful with this.

I wasn't asking for an M vs. SA discussion or whether I'm a terrible person for using an M2015 helmet in a car. Forums always seem to bring out the best in people though...

I do plan to buy a Bell GTX.3, but unless someone gives me an incredible discount I'm not buying a SA2015 in 2020. But again that wasn't my question.
Well, when someone is going to use the wrong helmet for the job, they should expect people to let them know they are going to use the wrong helmet for the job. No one has said you are a terrible person or even a less than smart person. They are trying to help you do the right thing.

Why don't you ask Arai? Oh, they will tell you that you need one of their SA2015 helmets as they won't sanction drilling an M rated helmet for a HANS device. So the best you are going to get is a supposition that it is probably okay to drill your M rated Arai helmet for HANS anchors.

If you bought a new SA2015 Bell GTX.3 today, you should be replacing it before it times out. So there is nothing to lose.

Old 04-28-2020 | 11:19 PM
gobble
Racer

I'm not sure I really buy into the 5 year rule for a helmet that's used 4 times a year. Maybe for a motorcycle that you're sweating in all summer, but for the occasional track day? I haven't seen any good evidence that a helmet just expires in 5 years. If that was the case they would have production and expiration dates stamped on them. Even my Ducati dealer told me that's a helmet salesman's trick, again assuming light use.
Old 04-28-2020 | 11:37 PM
winders
Race Car

By all means, drill that motorcycle helmet of yours, that at least some clubs won't accept, even though is not the right helmet for the job just to maybe save a few dollars 5 years from now..........

I guess you were looking for someone to validate your idea.....sorry.

Quick Reply: HANS install question