Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two Group C 962s for sale ..

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2020 | 11:29 AM
d15b7
Racer

Originally Posted by 38D
At that time there was a guy, Don Stiles was his name, who had a 962 that he would bring out to events at Mid Ohio. He also had a Camel Lights car that looked like a baby 962. The camel lights car had a 3.6L I believe. It was quick, but not even close to 962 fast. My guess is you saw the camel lights car, which seemed to have more issues running well. Even a poorly driven 962 would run away from everything else.

Both cars, along with the rest of his really cool cars, were eventually destroyed in a fire.
Hi! I'm 90% certain it was a full on 962; it definitely was turbocharged I remember that for a certainty; and I remember the exhaust was pointed vertically up out of the back of the body, not horizontal (don't know if that helps identify it?)

and yes as I said seeing that XJ220 in its natural environment, on the track, was a once in a lifetime for me. when I was looking at it just as they were getting ready to load it up, I remember being very impressed with the interior; this was a serious racecar, with a very well integrated roll cage (to me it looked like it was designed for it by the factory; it was integrated seamlessly into the cockpit). and watching it go down the straight from T10 - that V6 with big boost (and flames when it was shifting gear; BIG flames!) was orgasmic. I can't imagine what it was like to drive. it sure was a looker/performer
Old 04-25-2020 | 12:18 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
I'm sure if you have to ask you can't afford it -- but what is a reasonable price for something like this -- and yes I have a 75 RSR clone that I track -- so it's a long short, but reasonable question.

Mike
I think the recent auctions (obviously pre Corona meltdown....) are in the 800-1.5M range depending on history of the particular car.
The following users liked this post:
Manda Racing (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020 | 04:50 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

great cars. one of the best eras. 935, 962 ferrari killers

Last edited by spg993tt; 04-25-2020 at 05:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Manda Racing (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020 | 06:58 PM
Deetz
Instructor

"Hap" Stiles from Northeast Ohio did indeed own the 962, and they were definitely having some tuning issues during restoration/development. Here, I recall that at an open dyno day at a local indy shop put on the the local PCA chapter, they had multiple times that the tune would "stall out" - quite normal these teething issues...
"t was amazing to walk up to the car in person when they were starting it and warming it up in the paddock prior to the rungroup (meet your heros!). then it was time to go out on track. what a letdown. he held me up in the corners and pulled away (of course!) on the straights but was lifting/braking at the halfway point. not too impressive (I was hoping to get lapped by it every third lap or so lol!)."​​​​​​
This might be the livery you saw, circa 2004:

I wonder if you just encountered some test-and-tune phenomenon at Mid-Oh, as "Hap" is a very accomplished driver, and albeit these are 7 figure cars, and anyone would not be reckless, but "Hap" ran them and didn't mess around, not race pace, but not parade laps either...

I don't know the whole story, but a while later, the car, and "Hap" were at Ohio Valley Audi club annual DE at Daytona put on by Craig Liechty and Dave Pierson.

There it was in it's more traditional dress running quite respectably on the high banks. Quite a sight!

Such a shame the car was lost in the fire. This link, on Pelican Parts, http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...sche-fire.html milestones the fire shows the Hap's 962 in yet another paint scheme. I'm not sure on the timeline...

Old 04-25-2020 | 08:54 PM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nizer
Interesting seller on the first listing.
Indeed.
Old 04-25-2020 | 11:45 PM
Manda Racing
Rennlist Member

You can pass one — you just need 650-800 hp.
Old 04-26-2020 | 12:11 AM
d15b7
Racer

thanks Deetz! ya that makes WAY more sense now to me; I bet it was running poorly at that event way back then for sure. such a shame about the fire

Quick Reply: Two Group C 962s for sale ..