Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two Group C 962s for sale ..

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2020 | 09:46 PM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

Default Two Group C 962s for sale ..

Both on Racecarsdirect.com. One with no race history at all. will be interesting to see what they go for in this market climate..

Love these machines... proper, though 1st generation aero, after the 935 era, but not yet out of hand.

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/De...rsche-962c-174

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/De...e-962c-group-c
Old 04-18-2020 | 12:20 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Amazing. These were the iconic race cars of my youth. My generation’s Jag D-type or Merc 300SLR. If I had silly money and more talent, I’d ****** one up to run in historic racing. In the meantime, enjoy this fantastic 962 drive and Norbert Singer interview from Chris Harris back when he had hair:

Old 04-18-2020 | 01:32 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Loved watching the 956/962 run, great era in racing.
Old 04-18-2020 | 07:29 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Wondering what they're asking
Old 04-18-2020 | 08:48 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlanka
Wondering what they're asking
Probably less than they would have 2 or 3 months ago
Old 04-18-2020 | 09:34 AM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

THANKS for that video paradocs.. superb..... had forgotten the huge role Norbert Singer had in 962 design and development. Truly a game changer / inflection point for porsche, and in fact , most of motorsports.
The following users liked this post:
paradocs98 (04-18-2020)
Old 04-18-2020 | 09:51 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Interesting seller on the first listing.
Old 04-20-2020 | 12:46 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

would love to bring these over the pond to usa...

I think auction house would be a better bet for selling those beauties...
Although, who knows where the collector car market goes after this....
Old 04-20-2020 | 04:50 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Probably less than they would have 2 or 3 months ago
No doubt there...
Old 04-24-2020 | 05:31 PM
d15b7
Racer

in the mid/late 1990s I was at Mid Ohio with the PCA (I think Allegheny region?) and there was a 962 there in the advanced group (I was driving my Lotus Super Seven and had recently been promoted). it was not a livery that I recognized (in those days I never missed a race that was televised on TV). i'm guessing it had been previously owned/raced by a privateer who must not have had a lot of success, since I didn't recognize it at all. i;d bet that the guy at the DE had bought it as a used/obsolete racecar, and wanted to 'win' all the DEs haha. he had a mechanic with him and another two guys. it was amazing to walk up to the car in person when they were starting it and warming it up in the paddock prior to the rungroup (meet your heros!). then it was time to go out on track. what a letdown. he held me up in the corners and pulled away (of course!) on the straights but was lifting/braking at the halfway point. not too impressive (I was hoping to get lapped by it every third lap or so lol!). I often wonder looking back on it if he had picked that car up for a song, and if it was running right or not. back then was just a used up worn out obsolete racecar. now it would be incredible to own something special/priceless like that and vintage race it!!

EDIT: the only other experience of that ilk that i've had was around 2001/2002 (maybe + or - a year) down at Summit Point; I was racing my Honda Civic (swapped with a B series motor) at a local event (I can't remember if it was EMRA, but I think that was the group). I was waiting for my heat and was watching from the T10 tower as they gridded up big bore and holy **** up pulls a Jag XJ220!!!!!! (i'm not kidding I almost wet my pants!). in those days the fastest cars in big bore were a pair of 993 ex Cup cars (they were yellow and red I remember them like it was yesterday). the Jag 220 was a silver or light blue. I'd never seen it before (and I never saw it again either). the Jag CRUSHED the big bore group; I'm pretty sure he lapped everyone except the Cup cars (and he ran away from them). he wasn't pressing it either; he was 'taking it easy' and being cautious. after my heat was over I went over to look at the 220 -- it had no livery or sponsors on it. it was MINT condition, inside and out. i drooled on it for 15 mins and then they loaded it up into a nondescript normal looking 24' enclosed trailer (no Stacker for them!) and left. never saw it again. so cool though (maybe even more than the 962). ok i'm done now haha!
Old 04-24-2020 | 08:19 PM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

Great story..... the jags of that era were awesome..

BTW... as an update. : another 962 just posted, and another Group C car : RONDEAU M482 chassis, powered by either Ford Cosworth or Porsche... also driven by Thierry Boutsen....

maybe a buyers market...

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/De...90/porsche-962

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/De...-mans-24-hours
Old 04-24-2020 | 08:35 PM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

Interesting backstory.. Jean Rondeau, only privateer car constructor/driver to ever win 24hr LeMans .. in GroupC/GTP 1980

quite a feat..
Old 04-24-2020 | 11:10 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by d15b7
EDIT: the only other experience of that ilk that i've had was around 2001/2002 (maybe + or - a year) down at Summit Point; I was racing my Honda Civic (swapped with a B series motor) at a local event (I can't remember if it was EMRA, but I think that was the group). I was waiting for my heat and was watching from the T10 tower as they gridded up big bore and holy **** up pulls a Jag XJ220!!!!!! (i'm not kidding I almost wet my pants!). in those days the fastest cars in big bore were a pair of 993 ex Cup cars (they were yellow and red I remember them like it was yesterday). the Jag 220 was a silver or light blue. I'd never seen it before (and I never saw it again either). the Jag CRUSHED the big bore group; I'm pretty sure he lapped everyone except the Cup cars (and he ran away from them). he wasn't pressing it either; he was 'taking it easy' and being cautious. after my heat was over I went over to look at the 220 -- it had no livery or sponsors on it. it was MINT condition, inside and out. i drooled on it for 15 mins and then they loaded it up into a nondescript normal looking 24' enclosed trailer (no Stacker for them!) and left. never saw it again. so cool though (maybe even more than the 962). ok i'm done now haha!
Amazing that it was being tracked. I actually saw one last fall at our local Long Island concours. Definitely made me do a double take. It stood out in a sea of Ferraris and Lambos (another Enzo, another Aventador SVJ, yawn...) Prior to that I had only seen it in magazines. Very striking and old-school yet futuristic at the same time.

Old 04-25-2020 | 12:14 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by d15b7
in the mid/late 1990s I was at Mid Ohio with the PCA (I think Allegheny region?) and there was a 962 there in the advanced group (I was driving my Lotus Super Seven and had recently been promoted).
At that time there was a guy, Don Stiles was his name, who had a 962 that he would bring out to events at Mid Ohio. He also had a Camel Lights car that looked like a baby 962. The camel lights car had a 3.6L I believe. It was quick, but not even close to 962 fast. My guess is you saw the camel lights car, which seemed to have more issues running well. Even a poorly driven 962 would run away from everything else.

Both cars, along with the rest of his really cool cars, were eventually destroyed in a fire.
Old 04-25-2020 | 01:40 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Originally Posted by Geneman
Both on Racecarsdirect.com. One with no race history at all. will be interesting to see what they go for in this market climate..

Love these machines... proper, though 1st generation aero, after the 935 era, but not yet out of hand.

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/De...rsche-962c-174

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/De...e-962c-group-c
I'm sure if you have to ask you can't afford it -- but what is a reasonable price for something like this -- and yes I have a 75 RSR clone that I track -- so it's a long short, but reasonable question.

Mike

Quick Reply: Two Group C 962s for sale ..