Sponsored by:

Track Nanny gps PSE Controller

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 02:12 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by casey151
Does anyone know if any GPS valve controllers work for Thunderhill? I have a GMG center muffler delete on my 991.1 GT3 and I'm worried about passing sound even there.
Yes, if you know where the microphone is.

the controller allows you to mark the location and then have different size geo-fences to close the valves when near the mic
The following users liked this post:
casey151 (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 02:15 PM
casey151
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NightBlueTTS
Yes, if you know where the microphone is.

the controller allows you to mark the location and then have different size geo-fences to close the valves when near the mic

Wow, pretty amazing stuff. I just contacted Tom and am going to order one. Anybody had any issues with the unit at all?
Old 01-07-2022, 02:20 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 129 Posts

Wow, pretty amazing stuff. I just contacted Tom and am going to order one. Anybody had any issues with the unit at all?
It’s been rock solid for me. Tom is great

good luck
casey151 (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 02:24 PM
casey151
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NightBlueTTS
It’s been rock solid for me. Tom is great

good luck
Awesome, thanks so much for the info
Old 01-18-2022, 02:10 PM
casey151
Rennlist Member

Awesome, thanks so much for the info

Well I can officially say the Track Nanny is an amazing piece of equipment. I installed it myself and it took me about two hours. It would have been much faster but I had a helluva time getting my hands in the tight spaces to hook up the electronics; my first time working on a Porsche! Very doable though. My 991.1 GT3 has a GMG center muffler delete and it is LOUD. I used the Track Nanny for my first two sessions at Thunderhill. Everybody I talked to said they had never heard of anyone getting flagged for sound at Thunderhill so I turned it off for session three. Flagged for sound after one lap at 105db. Turned it back on for my last two sessions and no issues whatsoever.You also have full control of the valves with the controller; you can leave the valves open all the time, keep the stock setup, or switch to the GPS track setup. I highly recommend this for anyone with modified exhaust, and it’s a must-have even with stock exhaust at Laguna. If you want one go to https://tinyurl.com/TrackNanny or car pokes dot com all one word.

Thanks again Tom!

Last edited by casey151; 01-18-2022 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:33 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 136 Posts

Hmmm. If you do install this, I wouldn't tell many people about it. If I were on the hook/accountable for the track's sound limit compliance, I'd send you home for even having it on your car. It's straight-up cheating.

EDIT: Actually - I take that back. I thought about it some more and if the track was truly serious about noise reduction they'd have more microphones at different places around the track. The nanny isn't any different than lifting your foot while passing the sound shack, nor is it any different than slowing down when you see a cop on the side of the road.

Pardon me, I have nothing to say. Drive on!

Last edited by mgordon18; 01-18-2022 at 10:17 PM.
casey151 (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 12:39 AM
casey151
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgordon18
Hmmm. If you do install this, I wouldn't tell many people about it. If I were on the hook/accountable for the track's sound limit compliance, I'd send you home for even having it on your car. It's straight-up cheating.

EDIT: Actually - I take that back. I thought about it some more and if the track was truly serious about noise reduction they'd have more microphones at different places around the track. The nanny isn't any different than lifting your foot while passing the sound shack, nor is it any different than slowing down when you see a cop on the side of the road.

Pardon me, I have nothing to say. Drive on!

I appreciate the thoughtful response! I agree, I think it’s no different from lifting or running diverter exhaust tips, and if the track REALLY wanted to catch you they would have moving sounds checks like you said. I think the track’s goal is to at least show the community that they are doing a good faith effort to reduce noise.
mgordon18 (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 02:42 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 186 Posts

It is interesting that the sound station at the tracks being mentioned here is well enough known that you can just lift, or use a device like this to get around the sound limit. It does suggest that track management isn't too worried about meeting the spirit of sound control if they don't mind a car making 105 db everywhere but the testing station.

The tracks here in the east coast where sound testing is done, don't really tell you where they are checking sound. I'm pretty sure they purposely distributed checkpoints around the flag stations to avoid having people get around the limit. I've heard that ultimately Lime Rock is held to testing done by the town, something like 80 db measured a half mile from the track or similar.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:56 PM
casey151
Rennlist Member

I have a used Track Nanny for sale. I had it installed on my 991.1 GT3 for about 6 months but I am selling the car. Thunderhill and Laguna Seca are pre-programmed and it works great. GPS antenna included. Like new. $350 shipped
Old 07-23-2022, 06:04 PM
Jet.Fuel.Only
Advanced

Received 153 Likes on 39 Posts

I made a 3 video playlist to cover everything you need to know about the Track Nanny. Below is video 3 (in action) but video #2 is a full detailed GT4 install

Last edited by Jet.Fuel.Only; 07-23-2022 at 06:05 PM. Reason: added comments
burnergt4 (07-29-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 01:51 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 100 Posts

I've got a GT4 with the DeMan 4.5L conversion, along with catless headers. It blew 113 dba at my local, noise-limited track where the limit is 96. Our club sets up its mic on one straightaway, and the track's mic is on the other one. The club requires a sound check where you pass the club mic at full throttle, no lifting allowed for the sound check. If you pass, the club lets you run, but you can still get the $1,000 ticket from the track if you blow over 96 at the track's mic during a session. In theory, Track Nanny would work here, but I don't know if I can expect the valves to chop me all the way from 113-114 down to 96-96. I have turn down tips from my 991.1 S with Fabspeed exhaust that got me from 101 to 95 dba. I can make a slight modification to those for the GT4 and close part of the sound gap.

The question is, can the closed valves close the rest of the noise gap? I checked with the maker, who does not know. I'd have to take the plunge and find out.

Last edited by Scott O'Connor; 11-29-2022 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-29-2022, 01:55 PM
Jet.Fuel.Only
Advanced

Received 153 Likes on 39 Posts

That’s pretty much impossible to know without trying unfortunately. I really have doubts that you could drop 37dB though. Can’t believe you can’t just lift… it’s your ticket why can’t they trust you will avoid the fine??
Old 11-29-2022, 02:28 PM
Scott O'Connor
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 100 Posts

Had a typo in my original post, since corrected. The gap is 17 dba, not 37. My tips will be good for about 5-6 of that.

I don't trust myself to remember to lift every lap. Four or five 20-minute sessions in a day, at 2 minutes a lap is up to 50 chances each day you're out there to forget or to lift too late or get back on the gas too soon. And, if you get busted by the track, the club won't let you back again without re-testing the car. The club actually has some ethics and, understandably, won't be thrilled with a noise limiting device that they determine only works 5% of the time.

Quick Reply: Track Nanny gps PSE Controller