Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pray for Ryan Newman

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2020 | 11:02 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

NASCAR cages are very good, with extensive door-bars, but he took that hit to the driver's side while upside down, from a car traveling 190+. No door-bar at head hight. Yes, let's pray he is okay!

Last edited by CCA; 02-17-2020 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-17-2020 | 11:08 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Official statement from Roush says serious but not life-threatening injuries...amazing, although I'm sure he still has a long road ahead of him.
Old 02-17-2020 | 11:26 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

After 40 plus years, I stopped watching NASCAR, when in the last several years they started to homogenize the cars and the competition.

It is also very annoying when they seem to get all excited and even advertise the wrecks.

Pushing a car at 200+MPH in a tight pack doesn't seem to be a very good idea, and wrecks at that speed are heart rending, but you hear them say, gotta avoid the big one to win and seem to be gleeful about spouting that fact.

It's a credit to the engineers that they can design systems to keep the drivers alive.

Hoping the best for Ryan Newman.
Old 02-18-2020 | 10:13 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

NASCAR invites disasters like this with their green/white/checkered BS. Refusing to allow a race to end under caution is going to get someone killed. Praying for the best for Ryan.
Old 02-18-2020 | 10:21 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Agree- you know there is always a wreck with this formula . If we know this then you know NASCAR is aware yet they still put drivers lives and well being at risk .
Old 02-18-2020 | 10:44 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

The lack of fear of the big crash is somewhat endemic in all of motorsports today. Whether it is F1, GT cars or NASCAR, the chance of serious injury has gone down so dramatically that it has affected how cars are driven and how races are officiated.

Not so long ago, if a driver had a wreck there was a good chance they were either dead or seriously injured. Drivers drive with more respect for their competitors and themselves (with some notable outliers). What the sport has tolerated has increased as the death toll has gone down.

Awesome that it looks like Ryan Newman will survive, because that crash looked like a life-taker. I hope he is not too badly banged up. Survival, and fully recovered, are two different things.
Old 02-18-2020 | 11:30 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Denny’s spotter posted there was no such thing from NASCAR that he knew of and that he was only speaking with other spotters to inquire about Ryan. Bad deal all around. Prayers to Ryan, one of the smartest drivers I’ve ever seen, for a safe and rapid recovery.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-18-2020 | 12:18 PM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Best wishes for Ryan’s speedy recovery, those blocking moves were scary especially at those speeds.
Rich
Old 02-18-2020 | 01:44 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Very Scary, I didn't realize how much of a brutal hit it was, then they showed the slo-mo.... When the car gets hit, the whole passenger side bends... from front to rear bumper.. … WOW, Good to hear its "Non life threatening"

Old 02-18-2020 | 10:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Powerful photo of the guy whose car t boned Ryan Newman in the driver door, praying afterwards
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2020 | 10:40 PM
Glenn R
Instructor

19 years ago today, I was in Daytona Race Operations when Dale Sr. left us. Safety has improved so much since then but Nascar still has to balance safety with maintaining the spectacle. That can be very tough.
Old 02-18-2020 | 11:21 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Powerful photo of the guy whose car t boned Ryan Newman in the driver door, praying afterwards
I can't imagine how he feels, but he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Very powerful.
Old 02-19-2020 | 12:14 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Corey LaJoie, per this video, his father designs and builds safety seats for Nascar:

Old 02-19-2020 | 12:17 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
The lack of fear of the big crash is somewhat endemic in all of motorsports today. Whether it is F1, GT cars or NASCAR, the chance of serious injury has gone down so dramatically that it has affected how cars are driven and how races are officiated.

I did not comment on the CupCar thread but I think this is also happening in clubracing. Drivers are so insulated from injury that stupidity prevails. Also, Red mist is one thing. The bravado that comes from car racing video games is also brought onto the track in real life. Kids today only kill zombies on their computer. Maybe we didn't go shooting up the world while we had greater access to guns because as kids wee killed stuff with BB guns and got a little appreciation for life and death. Consequences...
Old 02-19-2020 | 10:12 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I did not comment on the CupCar thread but I think this is also happening in clubracing. Drivers are so insulated from injury that stupidity prevails ...
I have to agree with this. The more safety features, the less the perceived risk of injury, the more stupid/risky moves occur. Same on public roads, unfortunately.

Quick Reply: Pray for Ryan Newman