Sponsored by:

Brake pads: PFC 08 vs RSL29 vs RE-10

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 05:33 PM
tango131
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Brake pads: PFC 08 vs RSL29 vs RE-10

Hi folks, I have a 2010 911 Turbo with stock 350mm iron rotors. I’m beginning to look at brake pads for the upcoming DE season.

I’ve searched here to try to get some feedback from the pros on which pad would work better for the heavy Turbo.

I normally run group 2 and my tracks of choice are Road America, Gingerman, and Autobahn Joliet.

Pagids RSL29, PFC 08, or race technologies RE-10 (although I don’t think they make it in the turbo size, and if so, down to pagids or Pfc).

Can folks that have used the pagids and pfc comment on difference between them
and longevity? Searching here revealed that apparently the PFCs last a bit longer as they are effective to the backing plate, whereas some have commented on the pagids not being consistent past 50% wear.

All comments and suggestions welcomed. Thanks
Old 02-16-2020, 06:28 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,204 Posts

10 pages, over/under?

Can you get Ferodos in that size? Love my Ferodos. Still running the DS1.11's and still loving them. 14 981S

Looking for recommendations on pads for my (new to me) GT3 as well. Still have the stock pads on.

20 pages? Over?
Old 02-16-2020, 06:42 PM
tango131
Instructor

Haha, I’ll go with under 20 pages P. I have a 2010 boxster S that I have tracked for 10 years and because it’s so light (under 3000 lbs) the textars sport pads worked well enough to do my usual 3 DEs a season w/o brake fade. And cheap, so I would just replace them each year.

With the Turbo, tracking only last year, stock pads are gone after a weekend. So now the need to pic the expert’s brains on better pads.

I think ferodo makes the 1.1, in my size, but not the newer 3.12. I’ve also heard folks that truly race their cars that the PFC and Pagids were better than ferrodo. I’ll let the experts chime in
The following users liked this post:
dgrobs (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 08:54 PM
adi_d
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by tango131
Haha, I’ll go with under 20 pages P. I have a 2010 boxster S that I have tracked for 10 years and because it’s so light (under 3000 lbs) the textars sport pads worked well enough to do my usual 3 DEs a season w/o brake fade. And cheap, so I would just replace them each year.

With the Turbo, tracking only last year, stock pads are gone after a weekend. So now the need to pic the expert’s brains on better pads.

I think ferodo makes the 1.1, in my size, but not the newer 3.12. I’ve also heard folks that truly race their cars that the PFC and Pagids were better than ferrodo. I’ll let the experts chime in
I think that brake pad feel is a personal preference, which is why you will get so many folks saying Ferodo, Pagid, PFC, or whatever is best. I have used Endless, Pagid, Ferodo, etc. on my car and they all stop it, but it definitely feels very different. A strong consideration should be placed on your appetite for wear, or cost, noise if you are driving on the street, etc. For example on the 997 GT3, the Ferodo DS1.11 are extremely inexpensive (for whatever reason, pricing on rears is silly cheap), about half the cost of the Endless ME20. However, the Ferodos also wear twice as fast, but are much more gentle on rotors - usually 3-4 sets of pads per rotor change versus ME20 being a one to one ratio or maybe 1.5 to one (pad to rotor).

At the end of the day any of the sprint or endurance race pads will give you a better performance than OEM pads, you just have to consider the trade offs of wear and cost, your personal preference and car setup, which usually means picking between a more instant braking torque or a more flat curve, with trade offs around modulation and possible fade.

Again, no right or wrong answer, and certainly no universally perfect pad out there, so maybe trying each one over time is the way to go That's the fun part of the process anyway!

Old 02-17-2020, 03:31 AM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

No ideas what pad costs for your particular car but my experience with PFC products has been amazing. Run to the backing plate and zero fade and no bed in process. Have also run DTC 60 and DTC 70 pads with success due to my budget constraints.

I am not an expert and really cant think of a time when brakes effected my enjoyment on track except when 1) pad deposit issues and 2) brake fade from non race pads

Cant go wrong as long as it's a tried and tested pad that is recommended by the knowledgable folks on here. If you have the budget, I would call Clark at Apex and go with whatever he and Linda (I think that's their names but have a horrible memory) recommend. They have GREAT prices and also may give you a discount if you mention rennlist. More importantly they are great people to work with in my experience.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:55 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,204 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
No ideas what pad costs for your particular car but my experience with PFC products has been amazing. Run to the backing plate and zero fade and no bed in process. Have also run DTC 60 and DTC 70 pads with success due to my budget constraints.

I am not an expert and really cant think of a time when brakes effected my enjoyment on track except when 1) pad deposit issues and 2) brake fade from non race pads

Cant go wrong as long as it's a tried and tested pad that is recommended by the knowledgable folks on here. If you have the budget, I would call Clark at Apex and go with whatever he and Linda (I think that's their names but have a horrible memory) recommend. They have GREAT prices and also may give you a discount if you mention rennlist. More importantly they are great people to work with in my experience.
+1 on Clark and Linda......
Old 02-17-2020, 10:50 AM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Hi folks, I have a 2010 911 Turbo with stock 350mm iron rotors. I’m beginning to look at brake pads for the upcoming DE season.

I’ve searched here to try to get some feedback from the pros on which pad would work better for the heavy Turbo.

I normally run group 2 and my tracks of choice are Road America, Gingerman, and Autobahn Joliet.

Pagids RSL29, PFC 08, or race technologies RE-10 (although I don’t think they make it in the turbo size, and if so, down to pagids or Pfc).

Can folks that have used the pagids and pfc comment on difference between them
and longevity? Searching here revealed that apparently the PFCs last a bit longer as they are effective to the backing plate, whereas some have commented on the pagids not being consistent past 50% wear.

All comments and suggestions welcomed. Thanks
In as much as I sell PFC 08, RS29, RE-10 I will throw in my 2 cents. Most of what I am telling you here I have learned from customers using the pads. PFC 08 lasts substantially longer than RS29 . RS29 starts to fade at 1/2 a pad. RE-10 Has good modulation and the pad will last but it has very poor initial bite and costs $$$$$ big bucks. Ferodo DS3.12 is the new favorite. IT has more initial bite than any of the others and the modulation is to die for. You are correct about no DS3.12 in the pad shapes for the 997 Turbo (FRP3075 and FRP3143) But this is available in DS1.11. I will get the DS3.12 made in the pad shape for your car. Hang in there.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 02-17-2020, 11:57 AM
tango131
Instructor

Originally Posted by Clark-ApexPerformance
In as much as I sell PFC 08, RS29, RE-10 I will throw in my 2 cents. Most of what I am telling you here I have learned from customers using the pads. PFC 08 lasts substantially longer than RS29 . RS29 starts to fade at 1/2 a pad. RE-10 Has good modulation and the pad will last but it has very poor initial bite and costs $$$$$ big bucks. Ferodo DS3.12 is the new favorite. IT has more initial bite than any of the others and the modulation is to die for. You are correct about no DS3.12 in the pad shapes for the 997 Turbo (FRP3075 and FRP3143) But this is available in DS1.11. I will get the DS3.12 made in the pad shape for your car. Hang in there.
Great, thanks Clark. in order to keep this thread short, I might as well give the PFC 08 a try. Would you recommend the 08 for rear as well (I’m assuming so). Pls pm me a price for the 08 all around shipped to Chicago 60618. Thx.

edit: I just emailed you. Thx

Last edited by tango131; 02-17-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:24 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

Don’t forget the new endurance compound from Pagid that supersedes the RSL29. The RSL1. It’s a step up in performance on most dimensions.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:39 PM
tango131
Instructor

Originally Posted by Difool
Don’t forget the new endurance compound from Pagid that supersedes the RSL29. The RSL1. It’s a step up in performance on most dimensions.
thanks. I looked at that RSL1 pad, but I don’t think they make it for the Turbo’s 5
350mm iron rotors. At least I can’t find it anywhere in that size.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:28 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

thanks. I looked at that RSL1 pad, but I don’t think they make it for the Turbo’s 5
350mm iron rotors. At least I can’t find it anywhere in that size.
That I don’t know. They aren’t carried many places unfortunately, but give Paragon Racing a call. Jason knows what is available and compatible.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:45 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 996 Likes on 666 Posts

PFC 08s are my current favorite. I tried the Ferodo DS111 but did not like them b/c I felt they lacked bite on initial application. First I have heard of the Ferodo DS312s mentioned by Clark above. I used to run Pagid yellows (RS29s) before that.

Downside of the PFC 08s is they are hard on the rotors. Trade offs I guess.

As suggested above this is a highly personal choice, yo have to try and see what works for you.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:00 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

My two cents: pfc’s are really easy to live with on track. No problem bedding them; consistent all the way to the backers, somewhat reasonably priced compared to pagids, and they stop great.

On the street, they have an unmistakeable “pfc squeal”.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:44 PM
tango131
Instructor

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I’ll give the PFC 08s a try; I’ll report back in May after my first DE of the season at Road America.

I particularly like that they are “easy” and dont need bed in and appear to have nice initial bite, while also lasting long. I don’t mind that they squeal like pigs for the street for the 5ish warm months I’ll have them on in Chicago. I’ll change to stock pads once the winter wheels/tires go on late October.

thanks
Old 01-13-2022, 11:23 AM
ShahulX
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I’ll give the PFC 08s a try; I’ll report back in May after my first DE of the season at Road America.

I particularly like that they are “easy” and dont need bed in and appear to have nice initial bite, while also lasting long. I don’t mind that they squeal like pigs for the street for the 5ish warm months I’ll have them on in Chicago. I’ll change to stock pads once the winter wheels/tires go on late October.

thanks
any update on this, deciding between PFC08 or Pagid RSL29 myself for track days.. RBF660/Castrol SRF fluid, 2013 991.1 C4S (non CCB)

May upgrade rotors later on so rotor wear isnt a huge deal

Quick Reply: Brake pads: PFC 08 vs RSL29 vs RE-10