Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast 944's

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004 | 10:09 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Default Fast 944's

I just got a copy of the latest PCA Club Racing Newsletter. There was an article by the Tech person. She said there was several treads in Rennlist about an unsually fast 944 in Class I, at No Problem (Or whatever) Raceway back in November. I don't remember reading about. I know Class I was won by a guy named Jon Grand. Was there a controversy? Also, she said there is no protest process in PCA Club Racing. How do you all keep people honest? There are lots of protests in SCCA.

That kinda brings up ultra fast competitors. Back in 1997 when I was racing in class I at Sebring, the hot shoe in our class was Ty Hammil. He had a 1988 944, and it was set up a lot like mine. I thought it was just faster than me on the straights. Anyway, I was following him up the main straight, and to my surprise, I was keeping up with him. So, I thought to myself, Self, just follow in his tire tracks, and I should be just as fast as him. We came to turn one, and I braked when he did, turned in when he did, and just followed him exactly. TANK SLAPPER CITY!!!!! By the time I got control of my car, Ty was long gone. Moral of that story, some drivers are just faster than others.

Bill Seifert

1983 944 Race Car
1987 944S Race Car under const.
Old 02-29-2004 | 10:24 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Bill;

Don't know about the first part. It IS supposed to be a Gentlemen's Agreement in PCA. If you are a cheat, you likley won't be the only one who knows it for long. Pretty soon your are known far and wide as a cheat. So sorry for you!

Nice story in the second paragraph. I laughed out loud! Unless you are legal, and fast, don't assume the guy that is beating you is a cheater, eh?
Old 02-29-2004 | 08:11 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

While PCA has no formal protest process, Stewards reserve the right to conduct impound and inspection of any cars at any time during the event to determine compliance with car prep rules. Drivers can of course bring to the attention of the Steward, cars they have good reason to believe are out of compliance.

DD
Old 02-29-2004 | 09:54 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the replies. DD, I know that, what I was trying to find out was what the controversy was with Jon Grand's car. I have seen him the results from several races, and he does well, but as in my story, sometimes that just means the driver is very skilled, as was the case of Ty Hammil. I remember when I first started doing Drivers Ed's, and I thought I was doing great, a regular Michael Shumacher, and then some guy with a 914 1.7, with his bumper dangling off, and blue smoke pouring from his engine, would pass me as he lit a cigarette;, and talked to his instructor.

I just wondered if anyone remembered the threads about the No Problems Raceway race controversy in November

Bill Seifert
Old 03-01-2004 | 10:48 AM
M758
Race Director

Bill Great story. Racing 944-spec also brings up questions about guys with big hp and such. Unfortunatly some guys do, but in the end it is the guys that can make it throught the corners the best that do well. It can be humbling to follow a "hp" car down a straight only to watch them walk away at the next set of turns!

BTW... I am also curious about the "NPR Incident"
Old 03-01-2004 | 07:49 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Bill,
The controversy was carried out on the e-mail Racing list, some guy was bitching A LOT and finally the protested racer's first DE instructor chimed in to say that he was an ex pro-hockey goalie or something, had incredibly quick learning ability and was really fast in a beat up 944. The whiner then shut up...
Old 03-01-2004 | 10:11 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Mitch

That figures, I guess it is hard to admit, that we are the weak link. We think that other guy has to be cheating. Not that there is no cheating, but I'll bet not as much as people think.

So the guy is an ex pro-hockey goalie, wow. I'll bet its hard to drive with all those pads and stuff on. Yuk, Yuk.

Bill
Old 03-01-2004 | 10:18 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

I did not see the protest thread, but I know there is a ex goalie racing (a 962) under the Kelly Moss tent. Tom Barraso. His car is now for sale. I doubt that he was racing a beat up 944, but then again....
Old 03-02-2004 | 12:05 AM
IPC
Instructor

You hear alot of people complain about 944's being slow during a D.E. and why would anyone want to drive or race one of those car. There have been more times than I care to count, where in a race, I have been held up by a 911, 968 or an S2 whose drivers think they can drive. The old saying that anyone can drive fast in a straight line is very fitting. If you can drive a 944 fast, You can drive! You can drive fast in the turns too! John Grand is an excellent driver, plain and simple and I trust that he is not a cheater. Don't think that just because you can't keep up with someone that they are cheating. Look at it this way, You have room for improvement. The next time you are at a D.E. with one of the fast 944 drivers ask to go for a ride, it will be an eye opening experience. Trust me! "I Class" 944 #57 Kerry Singley
Old 03-02-2004 | 02:05 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Eric,
It was definitely not Tom B.... he had a 996 cup AND the 962 at Sebring! The 962 is for sale.
Old 03-03-2004 | 02:10 AM
cheater
Track Day

Default cheater 944

Hi this is my first time on rennlist. I felt complied to chime in and defend myself. I seem to be the topic of discusion on cheating. After recieving many email and calls from other racers I have been told that people are suggesting that my car is a cheater and that I should check rennlist. well im open to question if anyone is interested. first of all, thank you to those that are opened minded and have mentioned that it is possible that it might be the driver with a good car that is a winning combination, and for those that are spinless and just point fingers you know who you are (NPR)just because you got spanked at you home track does not mean that im cheating. This guy at the track was under my car checking it out...nice, didnt find anything did you? well enough ranting and raving for now.

buy the way I don't consider myself to be fast I just try harder than others
thanks for reading
Jon Grand
Old 03-03-2004 | 03:10 AM
turbite
Burning Brakes

Jon:

welcome to rennlist!
Excellent choice in username...
Old 03-03-2004 | 04:02 PM
Al P.
Pro

This guy at the track was under my car checking it out...nice
lower the jack

Actually I'm not sure anyone here either thought or implied you were cheating. I do think that most were interested in what National was talking about in the article in Club Racing News. Personally I'd demand that they inspect the car and then publish a National apology. Seems to me that their statement that they're going to keep a close eye on the really fast '44 carries an awful lot of inferences. Maybe next time they want to make a point about there being no real provisions for formal protests they should make up a hypothetical senario.
Old 03-03-2004 | 04:25 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Personally, I consider it cheating when someone is born with more talent than me.

You're all f***in cheaters in my book.
Old 03-03-2004 | 06:46 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

As I recall the email thread was pretty balanced with quite a few voices expressing caution that talent is a big variable at our level of play. As a guy with decidedly medium talent, beaten by at least two 944s at SP last race, I ran midpack in G during my four rookie races last season, except for a third at the Mosport enduro where luck of the pitstop drives outcome. But I had a truly humbling experience on the native talent front just as that email thread was winding down. I've been doing DEs for seven years, owned lots of hot street cars, and race indoor karts whenever I can, I guess 20-30 sessions a year, around the country. At a meeting in Maine last December, a friend and I visited a newly opened indoor karting place in South Portland. He drives an SUV, hunts and fishes, not a sports car guy. But he was a state champ downhiller years ago, skis like a demon, is a great athlete. The track is new to both of us, only this is the first time he has ever seen a kart up close. First session I am only a half second ahead. This is fun, sez he, let me follow, see how you do it. Second session, I stay ahead, but his fastest time is .2 sec quicker! Third session, he starts ahead, I never pass, he is .5 sec quicker. His eyes are up, he has a perfect sense of what is happening to his body, he intuits the line, and is completely fearless. I wouldn't want to race him in a well prepared 944...
B

Quick Reply: Fast 944's