Sponsored by:

Fast 944's

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 07:22 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always wondered if it was that Tom Barrasso. Won a couple Stanley Cups with the Penguins I believe.

Originally posted by Eric in Chicago
I did not see the protest thread, but I know there is a ex goalie racing (a 962) under the Kelly Moss tent. Tom Barraso. His car is now for sale. I doubt that he was racing a beat up 944, but then again....
Old 03-03-2004, 07:38 PM
84-944
Instructor

Hey Jon, nice to see you defend yourself, they couldn't catch you at NPO either.....huh.....go figure.

I' ve had the opportunity to drive against Jon a couple of times and the funny thing is he's never pulled me on a straight. Our cars are set up very closely but to no avail, he'll pass me on the outside while I'm hangin on the best I can driving the line. At Mid- Ohio he passed three of us at the same time on the outside of the keyhole on a damp track.
I figured he could do it .....then so could I. It wasn't meant to be, the next lap I came smokin into the keyhole and needless to say first it was marbles, then time to mow some grass while giving up two spots.

Jon's not taking any short cuts, he's just better than most out there and he's got big b^lls.

Don't believe it? Give him your car and with exception of few he'll show you what it can do.

Brian, 84-944 I-class
Old 03-03-2004, 09:10 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jon

Glad you came online. Are you going to Rennsport ReunionII at Daytona in April? Last I looked there were 50 944's entered, though many are turbos, and S's and S2's.

Hope to see you there

Bill Seifert

1983 944 Race Car (ITS)
1987 944S Race Car under const
Old 03-03-2004, 11:42 PM
cheater
Track Day

thanks for the kind words, and thanks for welcoming me to rennlist. Bill I am registered for daytona and looking foreword to it, should be alot of fun. I will also be in ATL hope to see you at the track come say hi I have a beat up burgundy 944 #35. Jon
Old 03-04-2004, 03:16 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Jon I race 944-spec cars. These are 8v 944 with all the interior stripped, simple suspension upgrades (no rear coilover or fancy shocks) with a stock motors on spec tires at 2600 lbs with driver. The idea is to keep the cars cheap and as equal as possible.

In a recient event I was quite a bit faster than my nearest competitor. I actually qualfied 2.5 seconds faster (approx 2 min lap) than my nearest compeitor. Now if you do that in a spec series guys would naturally think you are doing something. Well race time came and I was on pole. Second place car actually pulled me down the straight and got to the turn first. I tucked in behind. He pulled me just a little on the next straight and I could not get around. Same thing for the next set of corners and straights. He in fact let the first lap completely, before I got a run through the corners and could finally pass him. After that I check out and in 12 laps pulled an 18.5 second gap to second. Finished with my best lap 2 seconds faster than his.

Not really sure what everone thought, but I would think everyone could clearly have seen that I did not have the ability to power by this guy. In fact I might have been down a couple hp. Only after I was able to get in front and take the corners at my pace could I pull away.

Sometimes guys have really big ego's and can't face the fact that they are slower. Sometimes they talk alot. Other times they figure he MUST be doing something and then do something themselves. The they really get pissed cause they say "He MUST be cheating cause I am and he still beating me!"

Most of the time these guys would get better results to just shut-up and learn to drive their cars. From my evolition in driving my 944 I figure event most racers only get 90% out of their cars. I know that I can get alot from mine, but would be really surpized if it was more than 95%.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:51 PM
cheater
Track Day

M758 your exactly right I agree with what you had to say. Qualifying is easy with some open space now have 20 of your close friends around you and its a different game. The biggest difference that I see during a race is how guys handle their tires when they start to get greasy, that seems to gap the field out. The original cry baby that started this is known for it, he's not a bad driver but his attitude sucks that makes him slow. Like you said if someone is faster look at yourself and try to fix it. The race in question when I spanked this guy wasn't really much of a race very small class and the top guys didn't show it just looked better then it really was. When the top guys do show up its great fun, we make a great race of it and then talk about it over a beer. cheers Jon 84 944
Old 03-04-2004, 11:16 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Jon

I just pulled my engine tonight. I am putting a little fresher junkyard motor in it. My darn exhaust is welded all the way back to the tailpipe end, so it had to come out with the motor. Whata booger. I am hoping to race NASA next weekend at Nashville. I live 30 miles north of Nashville, so it will good to race at home. I am a lousy mechanic, so making it on time is up in the air. The next race after that is Memphis, then St. Louis. My wife tells me that Memphis is out, she wants to do her spring break in Fla. So St Louis is next, but I will be at Daytona, come heck or high water. I did belts, water pump, and cam seals on the new junkyard dog, so if I didn't screw up things too bad, I will be ready for Daytona, ( I do know I left out a new cam seal race, and left the old one in there, don't you just hate having parts left over.) If I did screw them up, a local Porsche Independent, will get rich getting me ready. He's a good guy, but he ain't free. incidentally, the car is still missing a left door, and left front fender, I am working on that also.

By the way M758, you going to Daytona?

I will be there,

Bill Seifert

1983 944 Race Car (SCCA ITS)
Ive put the 944S on hold for now.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:16 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Jon

I just pulled my engine tonight. I am putting a little fresher junkyard motor in it. My darn exhaust is welded all the way back to the tailpipe end, so it had to come out with the motor. Whata booger. I am hoping to race NASA next weekend at Nashville. I live 30 miles north of Nashville, so it will good to race at home. I am a lousy mechanic, so making it on time is up in the air. The next race after that is Memphis, then St. Louis. My wife tells me that Memphis is out, she wants to do her spring break in Fla. So St Louis is next, but I will be at Daytona, come heck or high water. I did belts, water pump, and cam seals on the new junkyard dog, so if I didn't screw up things too bad, I will be ready for Daytona, ( I do know I left out a new cam seal race, and left the old one in there, don't you just hate having parts left over.) If I did screw them up, a local Porsche Independent, will get rich getting me ready. He's a good guy, but he ain't free. incidentally, the car is still missing a left door, and left front fender, I am working on that also.

I will be there,

Bill Seifert

1983 944 Race Car (SCCA ITS)
Ive put the 944S on hold for now.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:46 AM
Robert W. Bausum Jr.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

After all the uproar I trust that Jon's car will be gone over with a fine tooth comb at the April Club Race at Road Atlanta. I wrote Donna Amico after reading the article and asked that it happen. One way or another it will be resolved for Jon in April. Of course if the PCA is gearing up to resolve this issue I'm sure it will make full use of it's efforts to check out all the top 944's. Problem is I know most of the top guys in I and in F. I wish they were cheating. Then I would have my excuse for being slow. That's right, 11 guys were cheating in F last year at RA. Seriously, all the guys I know have to much fun racing each other to cheat and ruin the competition.

I was Jon's first instructor at RA that was mentioned earlier. Yes Jon has skill and talent but, it was all me! That's right, I am tired of him getting all the freakin' glory! It was me! Me! Me! Me! He would be a mid pack cry baby if it were not for my fine tutelage. It's evident by how I kick his a$$ every time we meet on the track. O' so I have a turbo. It's not really that much of an advantage. Anyhow, if you want to get faster just drop me a note with a large check and I'll teach you everything I taught Jon.

How to be a pretty boy racer!!!

Cheers,
-Bob
Old 03-05-2004, 02:21 AM
944TURBOS
Racer

I just took the time to read through all of this. I hate it when people who are slower always make an excuse. "His car must have something done." In karting, "he is ligheter" etc etc. The excuses can go on forever and ever. The fact is some people are faster and some are slower, so the slower people need to either face the music or find out what it takes to make themselves one of the faster people. I think that people shouldn't label someone a cheater until they have 100% proof of this because word will get around and an otherwise good guy will have his name and reputation thrown into the dirt. Good luck with all of this bro, I wish you the best of luck with the haters!
Old 03-05-2004, 10:29 AM
cheater
Track Day

thanks 944turbos the bad rap was getting around, more so with people that don't know me or have raced against me. hopefully this will be cleared up in ATL. Bob I thought you woulnt tell anyone else the driving secrets, was my check not large enough. I was lucky enough to get really good instructor when I first started out. I had no idea how to drive and therefore had no bad habits Bob was picky in every turn and that made me a better driver.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:09 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Bob, what's your snail mail?
Old 03-05-2004, 11:23 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Bill L Seifert

Nope.

The tow from Arizona is way too long. Plus my car is not legal for 944-cup. It is really a very underprepped GT4S car. Actually is even under prepped for I-stock car (not enough suspension) Except for the weight reduction (Minus interior at 2450lbs). Of course the engine is stock so not prepared for ITS and also underweight there too.

Ohh well it IS WELL prepared for 944-spec so that is all that counts for me athough it would fun to race with some 944-cup guys
Old 03-05-2004, 12:20 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Fast guys are always cheating!! They're doing something that's got to be illegal!! Like driving better! Should be law against that!!
Old 03-05-2004, 12:59 PM
pit crew 35
1st Gear

This is my first time on this site, I was compelled to check in to see what all the controversy is over a beat up stock 944 and a good driver.
I was there when Jon took the trip to R.ATL and started to inquire about getting started in PCA racing, I have been there for the DE's, the long countless road trips, and the numerous complaints of cheating. I have been there have been there for it all. I have personal knowledge of exactly what has been done to Jon's car. I can personally say that some people are in for a real wake up call come april when PCA opens up Jon's car and find nothing but a tired stock 944 engine. Maybe this is just what needs to be done in order for some people to just recognize that someone may just have natural ability and talent, instead of pointing fingers and not looking in the mirror for their excuses. I for one will be happy once in for all because I am tired of hearing all of the BS, just because Jon is a good driver. I have seen the effort, and time, and sacrifice that has been made, if people put in half of the effort of Jon, they would see a vast improvement in their own ability.
The thing that bothers me most of all is that to accuse Jon of cheating is to question his charachter, and if you have ever met and spent some time with Jon, you would know him, and anyone that knows him would agree with me, Jon is not someone that has questionable charachter.

Quick Reply: Fast 944's