Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell the dealer problem occurred on track??

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 10:25 PM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tell the dealer problem occurred on track??

I recently bought a 718 Cayman S and have begun to track it. I have a fair amount of experience (schools and HPDE days) so I have gotten up to pace very quickly in the car and I have to say it is a fantastic sports car. Anyway I have noticed a potential coolant leak that only appears after multiple sessions on track 5 at Arizona Motorsports Park and 6 yesterday at Laguna Seca. It appears coolant is leaking just behind the front drivers side wheel where I assume coolant piping is routed to the rear from the radiator. My experience is with my BMW M2 where we have all learned to not talk about track time at all with a dealer to avoid being flagged. How does Porsche view track time with their cars and is it ok to explain the conditions that trigger this concern? I would hope Porsche would have no problem with track time but in the BMW world we were surprised to learn that the M2 a car that was marketed as a sports coupe that has track capabilities is not treated kindly by BMW when they learn it has been tracked.

Any advice is appreciated.

BTW, the Cayman is far better on track than the M2 for those who are curious. I will likely write a comparison at some point if folks are interested.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:18 PM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Short answer: NO.

Long answer: Really depends on your dealer and your relationship with your service advisor and management team. I had a major issue with a 997S and when I needed a warranty repair that needed approval from the regional Porsche rep, they researched on Motorsportreg.com to see if the car had been tracked and basically threw all of my track days in my face and used it as a reason to try to deny any warranty coverage. It was only because of my relationship with the dealer that we were able to work something out.

So, I would proceed with caution.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:16 AM
ccibo72
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Could be the wiper reservoir being overfilled, if you see it at the front base of the drivers door. My GT4 did the same. Or, the cap could be off!
Old 11-23-2019, 01:05 AM
fcap
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ccibo72
Could be the wiper reservoir being overfilled, if you see it at the front base of the drivers door. My GT4 did the same. Or, the cap could be off!
Second this. My 991.1 dribbles if the reservoir is any where close to full, and that is street driving. If it is coolant, it should be pretty easy to see any lose in the coolant cap guage. Check it when cold. The measurement is sensitive, so if you are losing some, you should be able to tell.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:36 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 416 Posts

OP, your car is fine, it is the wiper fluid sloshing around in the reservoir and leaking out. Common on all 981 cars. If you're curious enough, you can remove your left front wheel and then remove the aft portion of the fender liner. It comes super easy with just a few screws removed. That will reveal the fluid reservoir and you will easily see what's happening. The solution is to never fill the reservoir completely full, or even 3/4 full.
The following users liked this post:
rocket930 (11-25-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 11:42 AM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone for the insight and suggestions. Wiper fluid totally makes sense. I will check it out.

Much appreciated.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:54 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Very common on the 991s too. Search the thread title "Dirty Runs".
Old 11-24-2019, 08:56 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

porsche coolant is red
Old 11-25-2019, 08:41 AM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Even if it turns out to be coolant, the white residue left after it dries is fairly easy to see.

Just take it to the dealer and tell them you smell coolant. No need to mention track. They don't need to replicate the problem. Just point them to the area you think it may be coming from.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:27 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 416 Posts

Guys, it's not coolant.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:11 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow996
Short answer: NO.

I had a major issue with a 997S and when I needed a warranty repair that needed approval from the regional Porsche rep, they researched on Motorsportreg.com to see if the car had been tracked and basically threw all of my track days in my face and used it as a reason to try to deny any warranty coverage. It was only because of my relationship with the dealer that we were able to work something out.
This is very ugly if it is a common practice.
I guess it's not just facebook that is evil..............

Craig

Quick Reply: Tell the dealer problem occurred on track??