Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"The fastest track in North America"???

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 12:52 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

1955 for Road America, Sebring was the early 50s as I recall.

Was California settled at that point?
Old 06-22-2004, 10:44 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not so fast. We're talking Porsche Club Racing right? If you compare the fastest equal class cars you will see that in 2003 Rick Polk qualified at 1:42.2 at Brainerd in his 00 GT3R at an average speed of 105.68. The fastest qualifing time in a similar car at Watkins Glen was Chris Wally's 00 GT3R at 1:58.4. An average speed of 103.38.

Same story in the stock classes. Fastest C car at Brainard was Bill Berard at 99.08 mph compared to Chris Cervelli's 94.96 mph at the Glen.

So, assuming my math is right and that's a very big assumption, BIR is the fastest track on the club racing circuit. And don't go talking about differences in weather. It's not our fault that the weather is always perfect at BIR.

For what it's worth, Polk and Kevin Buckler qualified at Road America at 105.26 and 105.29 giving the kids from Chicago a pretty good claim on 2nd. And that was while dodging all the Chicago drivers bouncing off the walls.

One last thing. It was stated early in this thread that SCCA was no longer racing at BIR because it was not safe. Not true. The changes that SCCA was requesting have been done and they are returning this summer.

See you in August.
Jim
Old 06-22-2004, 12:04 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally posted by JimB
It's not our fault that the weather is always perfect at BIR.
Brainerd is the only track I've ever been to where you need to pack shorts, a winter jacket, rain gear and suntan lotion for the same weekend. If you don't like the weather, wait 30 minutes, it will change. I will state I've never run a race there in the rain. Afternoons seem to always be perfect!
One last thing. It was stated early in this thread that SCCA was no longer racing at BIR because it was not safe. Not true. The changes that SCCA was requesting have been done and they are returning this summer.
I wrote that back in Feb. At that time I was unaware of LOL working with CBR to get the track back to spec. We never seem to find out anything out here in the outer fringes of the region.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:45 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JackO: You seem to have a one-track mind... Willow this, and Willow that... (just messing with ya).

I do like Willow a LOT. I can't seem to decide if my favorite (so far) is Willow or Cal. Speedway. I don't have the math to prove it, but I suspect Willow is faster than Cal. Speedway. My little Porsche With Panties does 1:38's at WSIR's 2.5 mile course, while I can't seem to get it to break 1:57's over Cal. Speedway's 2.8 miles.

Are you coming out to the PCA event @ WSIR next weekend?

Mark K: I'd be interested to hear your impressions of WSIR compared to Cal. Speedway.

Anyone: Is there a calculation to determine the what the actual speed is from what is indicated? I did (an indicated) 145mph through NASCAR 1 and 2 at Cal. Speedway and would like to know what it really was.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:38 PM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Now, for the club race. It really is a great track and a very fun event. It's a haul but worth the trip. Especially since it is located right in the heart of our 15,000 lakes. (I know the license plates only say 10,000 but we don't like to brag) Bring the family and stay a few days. Or leave the family at home and bring your golf clubs or fishing poles.
Jim
Dem Minnesotans...dey sure have de sense of humor eh?

Are they scheduling the PCA Club Race Golf and Fishing Tournament as well? That would be kind of a Northern Triathlon.

Are the shirts they give out embroidered lumber jack shirts?
Old 06-22-2004, 04:40 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Now I hope the Team's Southern Liason hasn't offended any of our friends in Viking Country.

He is a very friendly sort given to gentle joshing.

Here he is at Daytona in April displaying a little Southern Hospitality to us visiting Northerners
Attached Images  
Old 06-22-2004, 04:48 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Yeah, but can we talk about Willow Springs?

Club-racing Porsches have run 113 mph averages in qualifying for the Tribute to Le Mans, here. (Even a slowpoke like me averages 99 mph on a good lap -- on BFGoodrich street tires.)

By this new yardstick, I think we're fastest, again.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:51 PM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Mike in Chi
Now I hope the Team's Southern Liason hasn't offended any of our friends in Viking Country.

He is a very friendly sort given to gentle joshing.

Here he is at Daytona in April displaying a little Southern Hospitality to us visiting Northerners
Hey...I was doing my best Steve McQueen impression! (Only the car was a bit different)
Old 06-23-2004, 12:35 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mac. Come on up. We'll give you a couple of cool posters and then punt your hillbilly *** into the trees off turn two just for fun. It'll be great.

Just kidding of course although those living in the state of the voting machine challenged probably shouldn't be poking fun.
Jim
Old 06-23-2004, 10:49 AM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mac. Come on up. We'll give you a couple of cool posters and then punt your hillbilly *** into the trees off turn two just for fun. It'll be great.

Just kidding of course although those living in the state of the voting machine challenged probably shouldn't be poking fun.
Jim
Ah Jim...a tempting thought at that. I'm sure your weather can not match our 92 degrees and 92% humidity. I would get spoiled rather quickly, and yes, I deserve the "punt" for Northern bashing. However, pulling up MapQuest and looking over the route, it is 1617.13 miles from Jax to the track with an estimated time of travel at 25 hours, 37 minutes...I may have to pass.

Bringing up voting machines? Man we quit thinking of those right after the Supreme Court said stop whining...

You guys do have the best posters and that just goes to show how marketing goes a long way toward increasing interest in a product. Keep it up!!!

On a shameless note, being in the paper business, what stock will the posters be printed on?
Old 06-23-2004, 12:02 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Good to see peace restored among the northern and southern factions of the team.

Mac, that trip wouldn't be that long. About the time you're developing signs of white line fever, you'd be in Chi. Your teammates here could show you, and your wallet, a right fine time.

Then we'd pass you on to those people who talk even funnier than Sudiners, for more good times.

Unfortunately for your shameless greed, paper is real cheap up by Jim B. Besides lakes, all they got up there is trees. (And I admit, a few really good copywriters)
Old 06-23-2004, 12:20 PM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Mike in Chi

Unfortunately for your shameless greed, paper is real cheap up by Jim B. Besides lakes, all they got up there is trees. (And I admit, a few really good copywriters)
Shoot, I hope there wasn't offence, I'm strickly tongue in cheek.

Interestingly enough, we have bought a lot of paper out of Brainerd as well as Cloquet and Duluth.

Maybe I can get them to back-haul a 993 for me.

As a side note, at the Barber club race, a big FedEx truck pulls up on Friday and stops near the Autometrics Paddock area. The driver gets out and lifts up the tailgate and there's a Cup Car in the back. I wish I had thought to take a picture. Because... "when it positively, absolutely has to be there tomorrow..."
Old 06-23-2004, 01:53 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mac,
I don't know the answer on the paper but if you PM your address I'll send you one and you can evaluate it for yourself.

As for the weather I think we would both be well served if I went to Sebring every Feb and you spent August in MN. The best of both worlds.
Jim
Old 06-23-2004, 04:02 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Mac

"Shoot, I hope there wasn't offence, I'm strickly tongue in cheek. "

I was fun'n too.

I do think we have to make Sebring in February an annual gathering. We'll work on Brainerd too Jim
Old 06-23-2004, 04:16 PM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Mike, clean out your Email box so I can send you a PM.
Man, the guy can't handle administrative details like that?
Oh yeah, this is "Hey Wait For Me Racing" or it's also "Hey Wait For Me Opening Mail"...

Quick Reply: "The fastest track in North America"???