Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"The fastest track in North America"???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 10:44 AM
Vampire
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts

Cars hit over 300+ MPH on the strait at BIR, so it must be the fastest track. However, NHRA cars don't pass tech for a PCA race.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:01 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Vampire,

LOL

but it can take them hours to get back to the starting line, so their average lap speed is probably something like 5 mph. but my math may be off
Old 03-10-2004, 12:16 AM
RogerJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, Ok, I'll plead guilty to being the guy who is making the "Fastest Track in North America" claim. I will tell you that I have exhaustively researched this and will be more than happy to discuss it over a beer (I'll buy) on Saturday, August 7th at BIR. By then you will have experienced BIR for yourself and will be in the position to have an intelligent conversation. But the reality is that the track is a hoot to drive and the people make it one of the best events on the schedule.

We realize that we may be "geographically challenged" so we try extra hard to make sure everyone has a great time.

If you liked last years poster's, you are gonna love the new set. We insult the French, people who store their Porsches instead of race them, and Miss Daisy. They should be posted at nordstern.org in a couple of weeks. When you enter the event you will receive a set of four. (Jim B somehow got pictured in 2 of the 4. Don't tell him - he doesn't know.) Sorry, you have to come and drink our beer to get the posters.

Come join us. Feel free to email me with any questions at rsamerica93.comcast.com.

Roger Johnson, Brainerd Race Lackey and keeper of the secret speed calculation.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:25 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Roger

Jim B is a highly respected member of "Hey, Wait For Me Racing", so I can't imagine him being being in two of those posters. No wait, on second thought... Nevermind.

Last year's had a very Fallon-esque or Carmichael-Lynchish quality to them. They were wonderful. so I look forward to seeing this year's set.

Instead of free beer can you offer new Hoosiers? (without making the entry fee $1300)
Old 03-10-2004, 10:49 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike,
I guess you figured out our benefactor. You didn't think Roger was coming up with this stuff did you?

Roger,
I am French (Breakey was once de Brequet) and I drive a little like Miss Daisy so I guess I know which two I'm in. I'll be expecting my royalty checks in the mail. Mike, assuming they are as big as I expect them to be, I'll spring for the Hoosiers.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:58 AM
RogerJ
Instructor

Jim, you need to start lobbying your spouse now for some significant wall space. <G> RJ

rsamerica93@comcast.net
www.nordstern.org
Old 05-27-2004, 01:19 AM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Don't hold back. Go to: http://nordstern.org/ClubRace/index.html

The fastest? You can decide that for yourself on August 6, 7 and 8.

BTW: DE at Road America with Nord Stern on July 12 and 13. Details in the Newsletter
Attached Images  
Old 05-27-2004, 01:26 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Nord Stern may or may not have the fastest track in the country.

But there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that they have the best Porsche club racing posters in the country.

Who's responsible for the smart, professional, ad work?
Old 05-27-2004, 12:10 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jack,
The credit for the posters goes to Carmicheal-Lynch. They are the Minneapolis based ad firm that handles Porsche advertising. The credit for the overall program goes to our race chair, Roger Johnson. In addition to running a great race event, Roger forged a relationship with CL that I think has been fun and beneficial to them and has been great for our region. We do things like instruct their employees in their company Boxster and loan them cars for photo shots and they put together world class advertising for our club race. Fun for everyone. For example, if you look at the 40th anniversary posters, the four cars belong to Nord Stern members.

Now, for the club race. It really is a great track and a very fun event. It's a haul but worth the trip. Especially since it is located right in the heart of our 15,000 lakes. (I know the license plates only say 10,000 but we don't like to brag) Bring the family and stay a few days. Or leave the family at home and bring your golf clubs or fishing poles.
Jim
Old 05-27-2004, 04:01 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike

The guy that said Talledega is correct, except I am not sure you wanted a track we (Porsches) don't race on. The closed course record was there, and by a Porsche, but I doubt Porsches have been on it since. I am not sure when SCCA quit using it, but I'll bet it was about then.

For what we use now, I would have to say Daytona. I know I went a heck of lot faster at Rennsport, than I have gone anywhere else. Of course fast to me is slow to most of the other Porsche drivers. But still, we are at full throttle longer there than anywhere else I have run.

Bill Seifert
1983 944 Race Car
Old 05-27-2004, 04:01 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Mike

The guy that said Talledega is correct, except I am not sure you wanted a track we (Porsches) don't race on. The closed course record was there, and by a Porsche, but I doubt Porsches have been on it since. I am not sure when SCCA quit using it, but I'll bet it was about then.

For what we use now, I would have to say Daytona. I know I went a heck of lot faster at Rennsport, than I have gone anywhere else. Of course fast to me is slow to most of the other Porsche drivers. But still, we are at full throttle longer there than anywhere else I have run.

Bill Seifert
1983 944 Race Car
Old 05-27-2004, 08:51 PM
Tom
Pro

I thought that all the tracks in North America (or anywhere in the world for that matter) moved at the same speed. . . except for any California tracks on fault lines!
Old 06-21-2004, 07:22 PM
James Achard
Pro

It is confirmed as I suspected. Watkins Glen short course is the fastest road course in the country. This from The Glen website;

"The Glen cemented its distinction as North America's fastest road course when Davy Jones won the pole for the Camel Continental IX with a fast lap of 150.334 mph on the reconfigured 2.45 mile short course. "

Wow, that is one smokin' lap...

James
Old 06-22-2004, 12:02 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

James

Which, if my math is correct, would be a 1:35.994 lap to equal that speed at Road America.

Yeow.

thanks for resurrecting, and answering once and for all, this issue.

Just as we in Chicago always suspected -- you can't trust those Minnesotans. Hell, they probably really only have 9,981 lakes.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:25 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally posted by James Achard
"The Glen cemented its distinction as North America's fastest road course when Davy Jones won the pole for the Camel Continental IX with a fast lap of 150.334 mph on the reconfigured 2.45 mile short course. "
Okay. We in California surrender. The best average speed at Willow Springs was 136 mph (both an F1 car and an Indy car did it).

But I guess Willow's claim of being the "fastest track in the west" would still hold true. All those other speedy tracks are east of the Mississippi.

Now, Willow also claims to be the oldest purpose-built, continuously-operating road course in the country. Are they right about that?

Quick Reply: "The fastest track in North America"???