Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning: 1 month trackday road trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019 | 01:33 AM
jid2
5th Gear

Default Planning: 1 month trackday road trip

Hi - New to Rennlist, but I figure this group might be good at big ideas and some of the topics below.

Looking for input on a bucket list project I'm working on. I've made it long enough at my current job that I get 4-6 weeks off and really looking to spend it on the track. I'm in the Seattle area and thinking about putting together a road trip to go do a bunch of track days. It seems simple in concept but I've got alot of things running through my head. So feel free to come along for the ride and help me get this planned.

Some of the items I'm thinking about:

- Current track car is a 2012 BMW M3 with lots of track upgrades. My wide open throttle version of this whole idea includes buying a GT3RS but likely keeping it only short-term.

- I've got my Chevy 1 ton diesel truck, which I maybe love more than my M3. Seems like I should use that to pull the car around.

- I haven't bought a trailer yet but that is on the to-do list. So many options. Used trailers can be a SERIOUS deal if you find the right one. You can also spend a fortune to spec a new one. To manage cost on the trip it seems like using the trailer/rig as a camper of some sort is a good idea. Again, so many options. Open to suggestions.

- Starting in Seattle the West Coast is the easiest option for tracks. I'm certainly interested in Sears Point, Laguna, maybe Thunderhill. Not that interested in Willow Springs, Button Willow or Autoclub. Maybe thermal, Spring Mountain as well. Open to feedback here as well.

- Of the California tracks and the groups that operate track days can someone give me the run down on which groups are easy to deal with and have respectable drivers. My preference is to not have to join a bunch "clubs " or groups, not require a bunch of paperwork for tech inspection etc. So hopefully low friction. But I'm open here as well. Stringing a bunch of dates together probably won't be easy.

- I really want to do more than just California, heading Southeast is an option. I've done Utah Motorsports already, don't really need to go there. Considered making the push to Texas and doing COTA and maybe some more Texas tracks, Road Atlanta seems real far, but awesome.

- The other option is to head Northeast and head to Road America, Mid-Ohio etc.

- At some point the pulling the car to driving the car on track math gets less favorable. Thus it might be worth while to do some of the further tracks arrive and drive style. Anyone ever do any of that?

- One option for the above that I've also considered is throwing in a racing school of some sort. After looking at a bunch it really seems like most of them are very remedial for someone who has done a lot of track days.The focus tends to be on basic performance driving for a few days and then they touch race craft on the last day and call it good. I'd be more interested in a school that focuses more on racecraft and actually does a few races during the curriculum so that you leave with more than a provisional license. Open to ideas here, but located at a cool track is kind of table stakes.

- Time of year is another consideration. I think the season is a bit earlier in Cali and the south?

Let's hear it.
Old 08-29-2019 | 04:06 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Plan using this..

Keep in mind, when driving tracks new to you, you will be consciously incompetent for a while, depending on how quickly you can learn a track

www.motorsportReg.com. Pull up the web site and dial in how many miles from a specific ZIP code you wish to search...you can also click on the site mentioning you are looking for TT only.

Keep in mind, you will need credentials to run with most clubs.

The Club I like across the country is NASA. They can be picky about their drivers, a good thing, and you need to go through their licensing protocol.

Of course you are taking 2020, almost too late to start on a project such as you have described in 2019
Old 08-29-2019 | 05:03 AM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Suggested Reading

Use search for "Mancation" and you will find more experience based reports....
Old 08-29-2019 | 10:17 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Default it has been done before and described in great detail

follow in the footsteps of @trakcar : buy a GT3RS, get European delivery and do the Euro tracks:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...es-ed-157.html
The following users liked this post:
Janton9736 (09-14-2019)
Old 08-29-2019 | 11:23 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Come East, young man! Sounds like you have a good car and a great truck. Recommend enclosed trailer for overnight security while traveling and convenience while at the track. Used TPD if you can find one.

Spring or fall is a great time of year to do this.
Old 08-29-2019 | 01:03 PM
jid2
5th Gear

The Euro version of the trip is certainly on my long term plans - I'll go checkout that thread! This would be in 2020, so still lots of time for planning. Trailer will be enclosed for sure, debating between trying to get a bit of living area inside the trailer versus putting a camper on the truck. At some point I want to do a more proper version of this - but heading full on East coast to get to all the awesome stuff seems like something for version 2 of the trip.
Old 08-29-2019 | 02:03 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

I did it in 2014 with my Civic Si TT car. Florida to Left Coast took a month and had 18 track days out there. I would not discount Willow Springs as it is as old Skool as it gets. I ran Spring Mountain, Willow Springs, Button Willow, LS, Sears Point, Thunderhill and Ridge MSP.

Since you you live on the Left Coast I would skip CA and head East. You can run the CA tracks at your leisure.

Peter
Old 08-29-2019 | 02:53 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Start in Canada and work your way down the east coast, all the way down.

Plenty of tracks, and if you time it right, you can have good weather from MoSport/Tremblant all the way to Sebring/Daytona.

Start in Canada in mid September and end up in South Florida in early November. You'll be at 75 degrees your whole trip, and it's not the "rainy" season anywhere along that route on those dates.

Of course, try to spend more than just a day at the Bucket List tracks (CTMP, LCMT, WGI, VIR, RA, etc.).

Tracks to do for 1 day, both NJMP tracks, Palmers, Summit Point, etc.)

Please keep us posted along the way (next year of course).

Good luck and be safe. Looking forward to hearing of your trek.

Last edited by dgrobs; 08-30-2019 at 07:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NYoutftr (08-29-2019)
Old 08-30-2019 | 02:24 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Keep in mind, when driving tracks new to you, you will be consciously incompetent for a while, depending on how quickly you can learn a new track 9
Do it! I did this over 1 season SCCA majors and runoffs. I liked it so much I now do it every other year.

Don't worry about learning tracks. You will be a better driver for the experience. I found learning new tracks easy when you link new turns to those you know. Expertise takes time but you do this because it is fun. So have fun! I race tracks I have never seen get a practice session, qualify then race it that 3rd session. The unknown just makes it more fun and if you can lay down decent times or place well in your race after an hour of experience all the better.
Old 08-30-2019 | 01:36 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Agreed I love learning new tracks.

This was my rig in 2014 in the Desert heading from Spring Mountain to Willow Springs. I was sorta wishing I had a Sand Rail on the trailer.

Peter

Last edited by 85Gold; 08-30-2019 at 01:37 PM. Reason: SP
Old 08-30-2019 | 05:30 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Another huge advantage is tracking a common car or a "gas and oil" car. If something that breaks on a Corvette or mustang often the part you need is in the paddock or local autoparts store. A v8 ferrari you need a lift to access almost anything. A corvette I have seen people change engines and clutches in the paddock. But a newer car will break the least. I would skip the living quarters trailer. After a long tow stretching out in a decent hotel feels good.
Old 08-30-2019 | 05:52 PM
jid2
5th Gear

Read through the California Mancation thread, and talked to one of the BMW guys I know who is really active in California. Trying to do it all in one constant "pull" does seem to be a bit of a challenge. Seems like mid-week track days are not as common as well so things tend to revolve around the weekends. So finding some shops to work with and being open to some flights back and forth does seem like something to consider. I don't think I want to try and do a big coast to coast trip for my first try. California seems easy, pushing to Texas a maybe. My best window for this is in April and May, so going south makes more sense than Canada or Northern tracks.

I've done most of the work on my car to date, if something serious happens to it I'll just pack up and head home. And curse BMW, probably start doing more man-math on GT3RS's.

The living area trailer does seem a bit out there. It's not my ideal trailer to keep long term, so I'd plan to sell it likely - but I think they are also harder to sell. Could also do a camper in the bed of the truck, but not sure I want a camper long-term, although I think those are easierish to sell.

Quick Reply: Planning: 1 month trackday road trip