Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CA Tire Buyers Beware...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 01:27 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The CEO of ECS has a sterling history building his CV at "winning" brands (Sears, Circuit City, Office Max). I no longer shop with them as the service has gone down hill. The worst part is that they've killed a few competitors or acquired them, making it much harder than it used to be to find good deals or knowledgeable sales people. The sad part is that they are often buying from the dealer parts distributors anyway, just in bulk. That's party why people have inventory issues because they don't stock some items and just buy it from the manufacturer directly just like you would from a dealer.. For BMW parts, I get better pricing at my local dealer just by being friendly with the parts salesperson.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:12 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui
The CEO of ECS has a sterling history building his CV at "winning" brands (Sears, Circuit City, Office Max). I no longer shop with them as the service has gone down hill. The worst part is that they've killed a few competitors or acquired them, making it much harder than it used to be to find good deals or knowledgeable sales people. The sad part is that they are often buying from the dealer parts distributors anyway, just in bulk. That's party why people have inventory issues because they don't stock some items and just buy it from the manufacturer directly just like you would from a dealer..
Hmmm

Sears - Dead man walking
Circuit City - Dead
Office Max - Dead

(on that note and OT, JCPenney is surprisingly good as the website has accurate local stock status, local pickup, store is clean & stocked and better prices on the pants I bought than Amazon).

Originally Posted by alexaqui
For BMW parts, I get better pricing at my local dealer just by being friendly with the parts salesperson.
Ah yes, "good guy pricing". Realoem.com is a gem here as you can go in with BMW part numbers and they don't even have to look them up.

-Mike
Old 08-20-2019, 09:08 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

The sales tax rules have changed for etailers, they are now required to remit sales tax to the states. Any retailer not charging sales tax is not in compliance with current law.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:18 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 995 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by dgmark
The sales tax rules have changed for etailers, they are now required to remit sales tax to the states. Any retailer not charging sales tax is not in compliance with current law.
I don't believe that is completely accurate. Their are requirements for sales volume in each state before you have to collect taxes.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:42 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes the laws are murky, but in most states if they think you have what is called an economic nexus (whatever that means) and it can vary by state, not having a physical presence in the state does not cut it anymore, they can nick you for not remitting sales tax. In other words if they think you have enough sales this also includes if you web site uses cookies you may be wise to remit sales tax. In Illinois the threshold is 200 transactions or $100,000.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:18 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dgmark
Yes the laws are murky, but in most states if they think you have what is called an economic nexus (whatever that means) and it can vary by state, not having a physical presence in the state does not cut it anymore, they can nick you for not remitting sales tax. In other words if they think you have enough sales this also includes if you web site uses cookies you may be wise to remit sales tax. In Illinois the threshold is 200 transactions or $100,000.
Most states are around that - $100-150k and 150-300 transactions.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:26 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

On June 21, 2018, the Supreme Court of the United States ruled in SOUTH DAKOTA v. WAYFAIR that remote sellers that meet certain economic thresholds, are required to collect and remit sales and use taxes in many states based upon the delivery address of the order.

Before this ruling, a remote seller was not required to collect sales tax unless the seller had a physical presence in the state where delivery was made. As of June 21, 2018, the physical presence requirement has been removed.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-20-2019, 11:48 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
On June 21, 2018, the Supreme Court of the United States ruled in SOUTH DAKOTA v. WAYFAIR that remote sellers that meet certain economic thresholds, are required to collect and remit sales and use taxes in many states based upon the delivery address of the order.

Before this ruling, a remote seller was not required to collect sales tax unless the seller had a physical presence in the state where delivery was made. As of June 21, 2018, the physical presence requirement has been removed.
That's what we are discussing. I'm waiting on NH to appeal. No sales tax and no income tax. Live free or die!

Quick Reply: CA Tire Buyers Beware...