Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

liability insurance for HPDE do we need it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 07:04 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OpenTrack

Our liability policy protects drivers in the event they are responsible for damage to both individuals (bodily injury) as well as property (other cars on-track or track property). So it is a very comprehensive coverage and offers the protection that is missing from personal liability policies (i.e. umbrella) away from the track.

Happy to answer any questions.

Thanks,
BP
The part in bold strikes me as being so very open ended and the most likely for abuse at worst and highly subject to interpretation at the least. I shudder to think. Im sure the devil's in the details but It would make me want to keep the coverage a secret until the day a demand letter came or a day before a suit is filed to avoid the chance of abuse on my dime. Because, you know---people...

I think something more restrictive like "while in the paddock" maybe pits or " a direct result of fluid loss, etc." or something close so as to make sure we all know we need to be responsible to/for ourselves foremost.
Even the same if (or especially because) such a policy is mandatory someday to participate in HPDE.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:55 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 996SPECticle
The part in bold strikes me as being so very open ended and the most likely for abuse at worst and highly subject to interpretation at the least. I shudder to think. Im sure the devil's in the details but It would make me want to keep the coverage a secret until the day a demand letter came or a day before a suit is filed to avoid the chance of abuse on my dime. Because, you know---people...

I think something more restrictive like "while in the paddock" maybe pits or " a direct result of fluid loss, etc." or something close so as to make sure we all know we need to be responsible to/for ourselves foremost.
Even the same if (or especially because) such a policy is mandatory someday to participate in HPDE.
This has not been an issue because there has not been perceived enough money in it for the lawsuits and lawyers. The average car is pretty worthless and the popularity of lemons and chumpcar tell you what people want to spend on racing. You got 1 $million Porsche GT at a Ferrari club event and bang deep pockets. Everyone sues everyone else. You got guys dying in farm country on dirt circle tracks around the country and these guys are lucky to crowdfund the funeral. You buy insurance when you have something to risk.
The following users liked this post:
bertram928 (03-17-2020)

Quick Reply: liability insurance for HPDE do we need it?