Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So who got nailed by the Mustang at VIR?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 02:57 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
Guys I'm the GT3 driver who was nailed. I appreciate everyone's concern (I'm ok and my precious is semi ok hehe), thoughts and lessons/candor.

My take away/lesson is to be a more cautious about other drivers because there are some incredibly powerful cars made today and they can be challenging to pilot. For example: the last 5 years I've instructed lots of people driving 500 plus HP cars in the green group, some of them heavily modified on race rubber.........lol

For those interested here's my vid:
Good to hear from you and thanks for posting. Very relieved to hear that you are ok!
The following users liked this post:
Fritz Flynn (08-04-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 03:00 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Guys I'm the GT3 driver who was nailed. I appreciate everyone's concern (I'm ok and my precious is semi ok hehe), thoughts and lessons/candor.

My take away/lesson is to be a more cautious about other drivers because there are some incredibly powerful cars made today and they can be challenging to pilot. For example: the last 5 years I've instructed lots of people driving 500 plus HP cars in the green group, some of them heavily modified on race rubber.........lol

For those interested here's my vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qkXq-9RoC0
I knew it was coming and still crapped my drawers when you got hit. So glad you're ok.
Fritz Flynn (08-04-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 03:18 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Glad to see the GT3 driver safe, unharmed, and taking it in stride.

I felt the same way as above when I watched it. Ouch.
Fritz Flynn (08-04-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 03:32 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Holy smokes!!!!
Old 07-21-2019, 03:44 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Glad you’re OK FF. Similar to the prior comment, even knowing it was coming, it still felt intense when experienced/viewed from your perspective.
Fritz Flynn (08-04-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 05:52 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Very scary. Glad you are ok FF. You have a great attitude about the whole thing.
Cars, as special as they may be, are replaceable. Drivers are not. Glad you came through the whole thing in one piece.
Very scary.
Fritz Flynn (08-04-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 06:36 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
For someone who’s been taking part in DE’s since 1994, your statement about lifting when giving a point by is so important, and yet ignored by so many. I am convinced it is one of the major reasons we see ‘issues’ at DE’s, especially in the Advanced groups.

Bish
Yep...I constantly have to tell my students especially in higher power cars to LIFT when pointing by that lower power car that is all over there rear. They all want to start racing them. I’m constantly reminding them this is a DE...non competitive event. Seems like a lot and I mean a whole lot of drivers need to get this drilled in their head in the Advanced solo run groups. I have noticed this both with a Chin and my local PCA club.
Coochas (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 06:45 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

For those interested here's my...
Damn! Glad you are OK. I can tell by the lack of expletives when the car comes to a stop that you were pretty shaken up.
Fritz Flynn (08-04-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 09:05 PM
996PIMP
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad Lil’deeper 993 :)

Very nice driving to the man in the 993 video. Respect Sir.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:13 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 204 Posts

I'm glad you're OK! Your cockpit video is scary with the hit!
Fritz Flynn (08-04-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 12:18 AM
MattUF
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Yep...I constantly have to tell my students especially in higher power cars to LIFT when pointing by that lower power car that is all over there rear. They all want to start racing them. I’m constantly reminding them this is a DE...non competitive event. Seems like a lot and I mean a whole lot of drivers need to get this drilled in their head in the Advanced solo run groups. I have noticed this both with a Chin and my local PCA club.
Running in yellow/white solo groups at Sebring in a '98 Boxster, there was nothing like getting a point by coming out of turn 16 only to have a car (pretty much everything had more HP) floor the accelerator and walk away from me only for me to catch them back up after turn 1.
The following 2 users liked this post by MattUF:
mdrums (07-22-2019), mrbill_fl (08-04-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 09:33 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Very glad you're ok. Painful to watch your video of the hit.

Caution is good, though I don't really see anything you could have done to avoid getting hit (nor am I convinced that you owed the Mustang a point-by). As discussed in this thread, the track layout enables this type of side impact at high speed, though fortunately that's an uncommon event (not much consolation for you).

To reduce the risk of injury, a roll bar and especially roll cage provides some protection for this type of impact, as well as a seat with good restraints and halos (not many DE cars have good halos, and not even all club racing cars do). Maybe some airbag systems provide meaningful head/neck protection for side impact, but I haven't run across good data on that for the track context. We should all remember that head/neck restraint devices like the HANS provide only limited protection for a side impact.

If you're comfortable sharing with us, did the Mustang driver reach out to offer an apology, help with repair costs, etc.?
Fritz Flynn (08-04-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 10:13 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

FF, so glad you're ok. Such side-impact g-forces could be deadly without halo seats, HANS notwithstanding. Won't ask how your neck felt (still feels?) after that hit.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:00 AM
bertram928
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
FF, so glad you're ok. Such side-impact g-forces could be deadly without halo seats, HANS notwithstanding. Won't ask how your neck felt (still feels?) after that hit.
In my less than fully informed opinion, Fritz was better off without a roll cage which has the effect of imparting much higher G loads to driver due to taking the controlled deceleration feature of a deformable structure out of the equation. What also helped is that GT3 was at or near max cornering loads thus less initial resistance to impact, instead some energy expended in moving GT3 across the grass. Glad you are ok Guy.

To me the innocuous appearing Earnhart crash was an eye opener, that highlighted how stiff Nascar roll cages are which imparted a severe un-attenuated impulse to Dale without any dampening and energy absorption provided by OEM type crash structures. like sitting in a tuning fork

Always use halo seats and Hans if you have a roll cage.

Personally for non competitive events in group of guys that have been vetted, and can be trusted to not succumb to red mist; I see no need for spending a lot on safety equipment when in a modern OEM chassis which has a lot more engineering behind it than your local tube frame/roll cage welder.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:33 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I would think that even the side impact g-force applied to the neck without a halo (even if the helmet doesn’t hit anything) would be tremendous and life-threatening in its own right. Luck may be involved here in more than one way.

Quick Reply: So who got nailed by the Mustang at VIR?