Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So who got nailed by the Mustang at VIR?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 02:20 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by bertram928

Personally for non competitive events in group of guys that have been vetted, and can be trusted to not succumb to red mist; I see no need for spending a lot on safety equipment when in a modern OEM chassis which has a lot more engineering behind it than your local tube frame/roll cage welder.
I would do more research. The life you save might be your own. It is pretty well known that OEM crash structures are survivable to around 50g's which is a 45mph delta. We know that well done racecar safety systems are good for over 100g's as recorded by black boxes after wrecks. Think about adding a cage to an OEM chassis reinforcing the safety cell but not altering the crumple zones. Add in fire suit, full containment seat, 6+ point harness and HANS and you have a pretty robust system. People need to remember you can sip starbucks coffee and do 160mph in your street vette on the banking at ACS. You don't need redmist to have an incident. There are many other ways to have a bad day.
The following 2 users liked this post by fatbillybob:
ajcjr (08-05-2019), bertram928 (08-13-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 06:54 PM
itrsteve
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
I had him in my view the entire time. I was gaining ground at all the technical sections of the track so not really worthy of a point. He was closing under braking, up the esses and at the end of straights. Technically the 350r is the faster car. I have no problem giving other drivers points (pretty much just chilling these days) and have been on track with some of the people posting in this thread. What's upsetting to me is how red misted he became. You can just see it building with each lap. He was too late on the brakes going into t14 in prior laps and yet he still decides to push harder...... At one point he was so early up the esses that I think he left the ground and almost drove off LOL.

Once again my lesson is to simply point a driver by who runs up my *** under braking. Not everyone in advanced driving is capable of handling these crazy high HP cars.

The mustang driver did not apologize or reach out to me. I had to reach out to him. His attitude is shockingly disappointing in all respects. He is just troubled that I don't have insurance hehe.

Anyway thank you all for the support.

I hope my car still drives well and I can get back on track soon.
First off, I’m glad to hear you’re okay.

Second, we shared garage space with the guy. Can’t say he was particularly a friendly individual, spent a lot of time tinkering. After the incident, I had to take pause as one of his tinkering sessions was brand new rotors and pads mid-day and I doubt they were properly bedded in.

Disgusted that he treated it all with a “ho-hum” reaction. I saw he commented on IG smugly stating that he had insurance and you didn’t.

Also troubling that it was a Chin event that was wide open/empty track and he still managed to destroy a car.

Best of luck getting your 997 back on track, that thing is a beauty.
The following users liked this post:
Fritz Flynn (08-08-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 07:09 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 917 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by itrsteve
Second, we shared garage space with the guy. Can’t say he was particularly a friendly individual, spent a lot of time tinkering. After the incident, I had to take pause as one of his tinkering sessions was brand new rotors and pads mid-day and I doubt they were properly bedded in.
What does this even mean? Maybe the guy is an introvert in person. Maybe he likes working on his car. I see people like this all the time at the track. In the session of the incident his car was stopping like the brakes were working properly. Why are you looking for ways to denigrate the guy further? The cause of the wreck was driver error plain and simple.
Fritz Flynn (08-08-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 11:57 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,555 Likes on 2,588 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
I had him in my view the entire time. I was gaining ground at all the technical sections of the track so not really worthy of a point. He was closing under braking, up the esses and at the end of straights. Technically the 350r is the faster car. I have no problem giving other drivers points (pretty much just chilling these days) and have been on track with some of the people posting in this thread. What's upsetting to me is how red misted he became. You can just see it building with each lap. He was too late on the brakes going into t14 in prior laps and yet he still decides to push harder...... At one point he was so early up the esses that I think he left the ground and almost drove off LOL.

Once again my lesson is to simply point a driver by who runs up my *** under braking. Not everyone in advanced driving is capable of handling these crazy high HP cars.

The mustang driver did not apologize or reach out to me. I had to reach out to him. His attitude is shockingly disappointing in all respects. He is just troubled that I don't have insurance hehe.

Anyway thank you all for the support.

I hope my car still drives well and I can get back on track soon.
So sorry to hear that. Thank goodness you didn't sustain any significant injury.
Fritz Flynn (08-08-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 01:07 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by bertram928
Personally for non competitive events in group of guys that have been vetted, and can be trusted to not succumb to red mist; I see no need for spending a lot on safety equipment when in a modern OEM chassis which has a lot more engineering behind it than your local tube frame/roll cage welder.
Wow.
dan212 (08-07-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 07:36 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,840 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Wow.
Agree. Wow +1
Old 08-06-2019, 08:49 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,709 Likes on 881 Posts

Wow.
I am constantly reminded of the famous line from Cool Hand Luke:

SOME MEN, YOU JUST CAN'T REACH
dan212 (08-07-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 09:08 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I am constantly reminded of the famous line from Cool Hand Luke:

SOME MEN, YOU JUST CAN'T REACH

- Any Man caught NOT wearing his HANS device Spends the night in the box......
Old 08-06-2019, 09:25 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

Wow.
Big time WOW!
I'm not sure if it's denial or ignorance but that is really scary.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:45 PM
feh
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Wow.
Sounds like someone that would laugh at you for wearing driving gloves at a DE.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:57 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by feh
Sounds like someone that would laugh at you for wearing driving gloves at a DE.
I might, if you were an (my) instructed student in a street car wearing short sleeves
Old 08-06-2019, 10:27 PM
feh
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

You sound like the typical Porsche know it all douchebag.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:49 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
I might, if you were an (my) instructed student in a street car wearing short sleeves
Obviously you have to have a go-kart neck ring, short sleeve shirt, AND mountain biking gloves from the 90s. Laptimer and track insurance helps too.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:19 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like he posted a side by side last week:

Old 08-07-2019, 02:30 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 179 Posts

Y?

Quick Reply: So who got nailed by the Mustang at VIR?