Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So who got nailed by the Mustang at VIR?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 11:52 PM
Akunob
Race Car

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

Can we all agree that following his mistake and departure from the track, Mustang Man failed to re-enter the track in a safe manner and should be assessed a 5 second penalty (he did completely negate any DE advantage he might have gained by taking the shortcut through the grass when he broadsided the GT3). Now the stewards may want to extend the penalty to Mustang Man’s next event and assess Mustang Man a run group penalty, down from Red to Blue (it appears he might need someone in the right seat to level-set him when the misting brews)!

There I win the race to 30 pages...what do I get, suggestions welcome!
The following users liked this post:
facelvega (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 01:37 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

You get a lap timer! We all get lap timers!
Old 07-11-2019, 08:54 AM
bertram928
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I learned stupidity transcends all manufacturers.
one can add more traits to that:

- strong inclination towards denial, a self preservation method for those with mental health issues, or plain cowardice, hence total lack of accountability and inability to learn from mistakes.

- lack of common sense, out of touch with reality, inability to process irrefutable data that leads to logical realistic conclusions.

- many more apply , i have worked for and with all types that could end up acting this way (based on my view of reality, LOL) , be careful out there you to can meet up with one of them
Old 07-11-2019, 09:09 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,700 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by bertram928

- strong inclination towards denial, a self preservation method for those with mental health issues, or plain cowardice, hence total lack of accountability and inability to learn from mistakes.

- lack of common sense, out of touch with reality, inability to process irrefutable data that leads to logical realistic conclusions.

- many more apply , i have worked for and with all types that could end up acting this way (based on my view of reality, LOL) , be careful out there you to can meet up with one of them
There is a legit psychological condition that describes this personality type: dark triad. A combination of astounding pathological narcissism, remorseless psychopathy, and Machiavellian manipulativeness
bertram928 (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 09:12 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,552 Likes on 2,586 Posts

Originally Posted by bertram928

Research indicates that we all have these traits to some extent (due to cognitive biases we're not aware of, and incomplete models of reality), but some people do have these traits more than others.
bertram928 (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 10:10 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
- Like Porsches
- Willing to spend the dollars for a GT3, but not always happy to spend that much
- Prefer to track a car which can handle track use without things overheating or failing
- Prefer having the engine in the correct place (in the back)
- Like riding high horses
- Don't like getting passed
- Secretly envy 911 cup car drivers (any generation)
- Secretly envy Miata drivers because they have almost as much fun as GT3 drivers at a fraction of the cost

Now we need to know more about Mustang drivers.
Shorten this to “Want to go faster than everyone else regardless of their talent or lack thereof.”

bertram928 (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 10:15 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Shorten this to “Want to go faster than everyone else regardless of their talent or lack thereof.”

Not gonna lie. This sums up my attitude pretty well. :P
Akunob (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 11:16 AM
bertram928
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Research indicates that we all have these traits to some extent (due to cognitive biases we're not aware of, and incomplete models of reality), but some people do have these traits more than others.
I have agonized about this for years, being of German decent i was stuck with the unfortunate traits of over analyzing everything prior to decision making including whether or not i had correctly identified all the parameters involved, and then spending too much time hashing out whys and wherefores on any mistakes or failures, while loosing the big picture on the time element critical to risk mitigation.

My job became much easier once i stopped the self analysis that leads to self doubt thus making decisions quickly in order to still be able to work problems with the boots on the ground.

Nothing good ever became of inaction leading to problems being kicked upstairs by all parties involved, not when in my field of play there is a completion date after which liquidated damages apply.

Thus in this track altercation , the longer it takes for reality to set in, accountability to be taken, willingness to face the music (consequences) by communicating with the affected party, the more likely the situation can escalate.

After all, we all know this is a risk we take going to the track
Old 07-11-2019, 11:22 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

True, but the problem for GT3 guys on streetable tires is that there are better tires, faster cars, and worst of all: better drivers with equal or better cars/tires!

I wasn't entirely joking when I brought up the topic. There has to be a special satisfaction for a Mustang driver to not get passed in a Chin Red group, pass lots of Porsches in that group, and finally pass what appears to be the fastest GT3 in that group. That may have contributed to his mistake. If he had learned the art of making excuses for not being faster (my tires were shot, my brake pedal was starting getting soft, my fluid temp was getting too high, etc.), he might have been less motivated to try to pass the GT3. For better and worse, a lot of what we do in life is motivated by trying to maintain self-esteem.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:26 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

True, but the problem for GT3 guys on streetable tires is that there are better tires, faster cars, and worst of all: better drivers with equal or better cars/tires! .
Or even worse: better drivers in far inferior cars that end up parked in corners behind said GT3's when all that straight line speed gets scrubbed off for the corner All in good fun, that's what DE's are for... Unlike a race there are PLENTY of options to get out of traffic in a DE

Last edited by Paul Solk; 07-11-2019 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Better was wrong word...
Old 07-11-2019, 11:29 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Or even worse: drivers in far inferior cars that end up parked in corners behind said GT3's when all that straight line speed gets scrubbed off for the corner All in good fun, that's what DE's are for... Unlike a race there are PLENTY of options to get out of traffic in a DE
Yes, that's worse - so bad that it pained me to even mention that scenario.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:47 AM
Akunob
Race Car

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
You get a lap timer! We all get lap timers!
I'll take the lap timer and one-year discounted track insurance premiums. There I'm all set for my next racing (cough).. I mean DE event.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:59 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Of course who doesn’t LOVE smug Miata drivers who brag about driving up the tail pipes of PDPs (Poorly Driven Porsches).

Old 07-11-2019, 12:00 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 179 Posts

Of course who doesn’t LOVE smug Miata drivers who brag about driving up the tail pipes of PDPs (Poorly Driven Porsches).

I feel attacked.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:02 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I feel attacked.
But you have such a beautiful Miata......

Quick Reply: So who got nailed by the Mustang at VIR?